Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do precisions really work in any music?

bassist_lewis

I'd say no , but yes , but then again probably not .

Edit : It's Sunday morning /afternoon . Let me have some Alka Seltzer and a blood transfusion and I will get back to you later . I can confirm at this stage, however , that Precisions = good .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1367151575' post='2061725']
I've heard it said many times, on here, in video reviews and by people I know, but can a one pick-up passive bass carry off any musical style?

Opinions wanted for a quiet Sunday! :D
[/quote]
If you want it to do so then it can. However, if you don't want it to do so then it can't.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1367151575' post='2061725']
I've heard it said many times, on here, in video reviews and by people I know, but can a one pick-up passive bass carry off any musical style?

Opinions wanted for a quiet Sunday! :D
[/quote]

Yes it probably can, but that does not mean it is the best option for many styles, just a decent option.

I would say that a Precision Bass [i]could [/i]actually play any style of music you could think of , but it wouldn't neccesarilly ultimately be the best sound in every or any given musical setting or situation . I can't think of any genre of music where the sound of a Fender Precision Bass would automatically be excluded by a consensus of common sense , good taste and / or judgement , and I would defy anyone else to come up with one , but I can think of a number of circumstances in which someone would probably prefer a different sound and find it more appropriate than a Precision . Get a Jazz Bass too , would be my advice , then you really can do everything .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1367153277' post='2061763']

If you want it to do so then it can. However, if you don't want it to do so then it can't.
[/quote]

Best answer probably.

I think they can be used for everything I've ever been involved in, rock, R&B, hip hop, soul, jazz, pop, prog metal even at some stage, I could have very easily covered all bases (pardon the pun) with a P. If you don't like them though then they're never going to be for you, and you should just get something else.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1367157275' post='2061853']
I would say that a Precision Bass [i]could [/i]actually play any style of music you could think of , but it wouldn't neccesarilly ultimately be the best sound in every or any given musical setting or situation . I can't think of any genre of music where the sound of a Fender Precision Bass would automatically be excluded by a consensus of common sense , good taste and / or judgement , and I would defy anyone else to come up with one , but I can think of a number of circumstances in which someone would probably prefer a different sound and find it more appropriate than a Precision . Get a Jazz Bass too , would be my advice , then you really can do everything .
[/quote]

How about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjpg5PuaGBw

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367159480' post='2061892']
Unless that's a Fender Precision he's playing then it's a no.

[media]http://youtu.be/0M3YFK3sJ54[/media]
[/quote]

Wrong , my friend .

If you listen closely to the lyrics you will hear that the whole song is actually a lament about saving up through the long cold winter to buy some Thomastic flatwounds to put on his Morin Khuur ( that's what they call that thing like a cello he's playing ) so he can sound more like James Jamerson . Just another Mongolian P Bass wanabee , I'm afraid .

Edited by Dingus

I think the Precision, having a tone that just sits nicely, is the easiest to simply record/play, place in the mix, and it will work. However for various types of music there are basses which I`m sure work better.

But for me, the Precision is the only bass I`d really want. My Jazz is a wonderful instrument, incredibly versatile, but for work in a band that one-sound-only-does-all Precision will always get the vote.