Why become a member? ×

Warwick basses

ead

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1366920586' post='2059136']
Which one is best EVER... eenie meenie miney mo

;)

[URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/warwickhunt/media/IMG_2237_zps290385ff.jpg.html][IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/IMG_2237_zps290385ff.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It literally would be a case of doing that between the Streamer (Stage I/II/Ltd/all forms), Dolphin and Infinette... the Thumb is a bass that I've not ever gelled with!
[/quote]

2nd from left is simply divine!!! If you need a huge Ashdown rig, ive got one to trade Jon. Id even deliver :-)

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1366923309' post='2059183']
Very impressed and very jealous Warwickhunt.
If you had to save one from a burning / flooding building could you choose?
[/quote]

NOOOOO! I'm actually moving house and I'm ensuring we are way above sea level, away from any river or watercourse and next door to a fire-station. ;)

To choose one would 'seriously' be (can't think of a more appropriate word) impossible.

Infinette - Very cool/rare, probably as distinctive a tone as the Dolphin but slightly different (possibly due to the Maple neck or the body chambers)
Dolphin - Funky shape, distinctive tone and this one is a lovely weight/balance
SSI - A classic (thanks Spector/NS) and IMHO one of the most versatile tones/pup configs
SSII - As above but with a different slant on the tone that is a bit more focused than the SSI
Streamer 5th Anniversary - Classic shape/comfort/balance (this one is barely 8lb iirc) but not quite as versatile as the two above... but likely the one I would go to first to gig
Thumb - Love the tone and aesthetics but can't get away with the first position due to the short horn/body

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1366973943' post='2059637']
A Thumb Bolt on has a really unique vibe to it, I actually prefer the bolt on to the NT, more snap in the high notes.
[/quote]

This is a very good point. I have usually reached for a BO Thumb first because they sound a bit better than the NT Thumbs to my ears. A little bit more sizzle in the output, a richer and more prominent midrange. The notes have a real 'pop' to them and they respond very well to right hand dynamics. The NT's sound a little more softer and more muted to me (but also distinctive and very good). The Thumb bass epitomises Warwick for me, because unlike the Streamer etc etc, there is nothing else really like it, and they always sound very distinctive!

How much of a problem is it being a lefty bluejay? Can you get pretty much what you want (eventually) but presumably much harder to find examples to try out I'm guessing; at least judging by what I haven't seen in the high street.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1367259323' post='2063339']
How much of a problem is it being a lefty bluejay? Can you get pretty much what you want (eventually) but presumably much harder to find examples to try out I'm guessing; at least judging by what I haven't seen in the high street.
[/quote]

Exactly. You can order almost anything - especially from Warwick, who offer lefty models of practically every bass they sell - but the actual instrument you receive will be something coming directly from the manufacturer (if you buy new), and it won't be the classic "model you've tried and fallen in love with and bought on the spot at the shop", as there are usually no lefty models to try out and fall in love with...
Having said that, a couple of the large music stores I visited in NYC offered the luxury of an entire lefty section, with a lot of guitars and also a few basses. Unfortunately, the choice tends to be limited to the usual Fender P, Musicman, Fender J, Fender something-or-other, you get the idea (YAAAWWWN!!) :D

Edited by bluejay

Grim.

What percentage of the market is LH sales I wonder? Would more stock mean more sales, tricky issue for the retailers I guess. Is the lefty market place on here a good source of instruments - I've never looked tbh?

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1367261045' post='2063372']
Grim.

What percentage of the market is LH sales I wonder? Would more stock mean more sales, tricky issue for the retailers I guess. Is the lefty market place on here a good source of instruments - I've never looked tbh?
[/quote]

I'm not sure, it's a bit like the chicken and the egg. Perhaps if lefty instruments were easier to obtain, lefty children (and adults) would tend to learn to play in the way that's most natural to them. Instead, many force themselves - or are advised - to learn right-handed to have more choice, ready availability, cheaper price etc.

[quote name='patch006' timestamp='1367261084' post='2063374']
There was plenty of lefty thumb basses at the bass day last year bluejay ; ) .
[/quote]

I had to miss the bass day due to a bad case of snowed-underness with work! And it turned out to be a horrid project I should have avoided like the plague :angry:

Edited by bluejay

Heres a few snaps of my current Warwick armoury.

( L - R )

1) Warwick Stryker Mahogany 2007
2) Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 2010
3) Warwick Buzzard 05 LTD

Needs a nice Streamer to even it out or even better a Vampyre to darken the atmosphere

Warwick Oddball Heaven!!

[attachment=133839:IMG_3632.jpg]

[attachment=133840:IMG_3640.JPG]

[attachment=133841:IMG_3647.jpg]

Edited by Voodoosnake

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1371815441' post='2118422']
Warwick Pro Star Bass in VSB on its way over from the Fatherland :-)
Its got the look for my new Blues Rock Band and tone should be good :-)

Oh, and I bought a new Bass stand as I was running out.. It holds 9 :-D
[/quote]
Nice choice. But if you don't get on with it, give me a shout, and I'll find it a nice home just a few junctions further along the M4. :)

Thumb NT - no contest!
I have two a 1990 5 string and a 1988 defretted 4 string.
amazing sound, feel and comfortable to play.
bit heavy to carry but on a good, wide strap, not noticable when playing - no neck dive on mine either.

seek out pre - 1997 models though.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:118922][sharedmedia=core:attachments:79140]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:118924][sharedmedia=core:attachments:79142]

Edited by MikeBass

I'd say a late 80's Streamer.

I once bought a 1987 Streamer purely to sell it on for a profit, which I ended up doing but not until I'd played it for a few months out of awe and wonder. I couldn't believe that I had GAS for it as Warwick basses never suited or appealed to me. I still often wonder 'what if I'd kept it' and have never been comfortable with any modern Warwick since.

Personally I really like my Corvette standard. Bubinga body, ovangkol neck, wenge fretboard. I much prefer JJ configurations on basses, and most of Warwick's stuff tends to be PJ or humbuckers. Plus I have small hands, and lots of the Warwicks I've played have had fat necks. I'm lucky in that mine is made in the only year (2009) where they were made in Germany but with the slim necks, at least that's my understanding.