Why become a member? ×

next bass ideas...

Left Foot

Sorry to post such a ridiculously open question but... I have been using an Ibenez EDC700 as a main bass for many years. Ive just realised that the only good thing about it is the playability, although I actually don't enjoy the thin neck anymore. The internet seems to think the same. Its also active and at best boomy and really muddy when low ends engaged. I have been playing a super cheap passive westfield and though all the effects its fun, light weight and fits the bill but has really weak low ends. So... having played these tow basses and wanting a P bass for stoner rock, what would you recommend? The internet says I should look at the epiphone tbirds and maybe vintage mod fenders, I don't have much of a budget here at all, £250 MAX. Any other info...

Try and get a 2nd hand P bass and stick some flats on it - and you're away!

Also - the first bass i ever bought was an epiphone thunderbird, and i regretted it.

If you can scrounge the extra 100, or beat the seller down a bit, then i'd say aim for this bad boy:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/204979-fender-jv-squier-precision-1983-fs/

Edited by Shobaleader One

[quote name='Shobaleader One' timestamp='1365887986' post='2045765']
Try and get a 2nd hand P bass and stick some flats on it - and you're away!
[/quote]

Yep, or if you can`t go above the £250, keep your eyes out on here/Evilbay for a Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Mod Precision. Both great basses.

A decent, nicely playable P bass should be well within your budget. I'd not necessarily go with flats though. They are an aquired taste, and definitely do not do a lot of tones.

My big question to you though, is have you played P basses in shops ? THeir necks in general are thick, wide and chunky and are completely the polar opposite of Ibanez necks. You may struggle with one.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1365922828' post='2045910']
...I'd not necessarily go with flats though. They are an acquired taste, and definitely do not do a lot of tones...
[/quote]

Not necessarily the case. Modern flats can do everything from thumpy to twangy, and more.
Chromes (for example) are very bright-sounding. :)

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1365922828' post='2045910']

My big question to you though, is have you played P basses in shops ? THeir necks in general are thick, wide and chunky and are completely the polar opposite of Ibanez necks. You may struggle with one.
[/quote] I think this is why I am enjoying playing the westfield so much at the moment, because the ibenez almost seems like a toy, I like the fact I have to emphasis the attacks and challenge my reach etc. Although you are completely right, going too far the other way would be stupid. Cool, Ill get out their and look.Thanks guys, I also never thought that flats were as widely appreciated now.

You are all wrong, keep your eyes peeled for a second hand Yamaha BB424 or 424x. They are literally the balls!

Actually, any of the BB series look great, sound like P's and have great necks. In between a jazz and P I think. Loads can be got for less than £200.

Truckstop

Westone Thunder 1A. One thing you could never accuse of Thunder 1A of is lack of bottom end - they have a huge sound, great for rock. Absolutely superb necks, 40mm wide at the nut - wider than Jazz, about the same as the slimmest P-basses. Single split coil pup, excellent build quality, immense value for money.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1365937581' post='2046141']
You are all wrong, keep your eyes peeled for a second hand Yamaha BB424 or 424x. They are literally the balls!

Actually, any of the BB series look great, sound like P's and have great necks. In between a jazz and P I think. Loads can be got for less than £200.

Truckstop
[/quote]

great suggestion.

[quote name='Shobaleader One' timestamp='1365941536' post='2046206']
Nothing like an opinion eh! :S [size=4]From my experiences with a P-bass its coped marvellously with everything, that is why i recommended it.[/size]
[/quote]

Apparently if you like Ps you'll love BBs. Some say they even have more bottom end, but I can't confirm.
In any case, it's not like Mr T is recommending anything radically different from the P sound. :)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1365937581' post='2046141']

Truckstop
[/quote]
This is the right answer. Despite having owned loads of them I find the current P bass obsession really really boring.

I would go with the Yam over the P bass. I like P basses but they can be a bit iffy QC wise sometimes and with your budget a BB could be a better bet. The P pickup is good and you also get the added bonus of a Jazz pickup as well.

And before the Fender lovers dive in, I own a P bass and have done for years. I just reckon at the price point the Yam is much better value.

Edited by jezzaboy

Yamaha, Ibanez and most other mass produced instrument makers beat Fender hands down when it comes to QC.

The whole current Fender obsession is a placebo....everyone is playing them....because everyone else is playing them.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with them...good basic, workhorse instruments.....but its almost as if 85% of the bass playing public has become brainwashed by Fender and just cannot see past them.

I remember back in the 80's it was the exact opposite, nobody wanted them and they were considered boring! You could pick up really old vintages for chocolate buttons.

There's a yamaha bb1100s in the for sale section at £200 which is a propper bargin and will give you £50 spare. Mine is a great bass neck is not quite as fat as a p but chunkier than a jazz and as an active passive pj can sound ike anything. Good luck shopping!

Cool, since posting that I read your other comments on these and other vintage no goes. Yeah, they look nice but Ill give it a miss.

TBH, I already have good answers here, I should listen to the BC insights instead of looking for what appear to be werd and wonderful things that really aren't up much.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]a[size="3"][color="#000000"]hem.[/color][/size].. here's what I've just picked up for £50! Sounds great and feels like the proper bass I've needed![size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"][URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/hondobass1.jpg/][IMG]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4190/hondobass1.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/font][/color][/size]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"][URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/hondobass3.jpg/][IMG][/color][/size][/font][url="http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/204/hondobass3.jpg%5b/IMG%5d%5b/URL"][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#0000ff"]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/204/hondobass3.jpg[/IMG][/URL[/color][/size][/font][/url][size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]][/font][/color][/size]