Why become a member? ×

Fender "Cabronita" P Bass

JamesBass

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1366188891' post='2049278']
I love the retro look and the tone is gorgeous..at least in that clip it is. I dont know what hes playing it through right enough
[/quote]

Well a Fender bass amp is sort-of visible in the background, and the tone is that lush deep rich warm tone I`d expect from a Fender bass amp. I`m gassing so bad for one of these, just wish they did them in white.

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1366187428' post='2049261']
Loving it. Does anyone know where they are being built? The Fender site isn't very helpful. Nice price.
[/quote]

Mexico. You can see the MX prefix of the serial number in the picture of the back of the headstock here: [url="http://www.sweetwater.com/images/guitars/CabBassBk/MX13328362/MX13328362-serial-large.jpg"]http://www.sweetwate...erial-large.jpg[/url]

Edited by John Schoen

[quote name='ingmar808' timestamp='1366071249' post='2048123']
According to Google translate, 'cabron' is Spanish for 'asshole.'

So presumably 'cabronita' means 'asshole-eater.'
[/quote]

Where is McNach when you need him :D

He is the man for this Spanish translation lark.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1365928119' post='2045964']
Gotta agree with most people in here, not a fan of that bridge, so if I brought one I'd change that.

Billy your custom is absolutely lovely! Looks beautiful!
[/quote]
[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1365932723' post='2046032']
I'm going candy apple red; I will be changing the bridge though!
[/quote]

That bridge looks great , don't change it ! Why do so many people dislike the look of Badass bridges ? I am a big fan of them , both looks and sound wise . They are great bridges and look like a serious bit of kit , too .

These basses look very good to me especially for that kind of money . The sound and overall vibe of them has been judged just right for the current ongoing trend in basses ( and in the music people are playing and listening to , for that matter ) for low-fi and retro chic . Big fat punchy sound , no frills but still with a bit of vintage / homemade appeal - these will be very popular . I suppose I could buy one and put flats on it , but then I might have to grow a beard and start wearing plaid shirts . Not a good look for me , but for Indie types and people playing what I believe they refer to as "roots music " these will be perfect . A great bit of marketing by Fender .

[quote name='ingmar808' timestamp='1366071249' post='2048123']
According to Google translate, 'cabron' is Spanish for 'asshole.'

So presumably 'cabronita' means 'asshole-eater.'
[/quote]

That must be wrong because I had a Hispanic girlfriend and , by an amazing coincidence considering it is my name as well , she used to use the word "Dingus " for asshole . Many times I heard her saying to her friends on the phone " Dingus is an asshole " . Maybe she was helping them brush up on their Spanish .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1366201352' post='2049489']
That bridge looks great , don't change it ! Why do so many people dislike the look of Badass bridges ? I am a big fan of them , both looks and sound wise . They are great bridges and look like a serious bit of kit , too .[/quote]

Don't get me wrong Dingus, the badass is a cracking bridge, on some P Basses it looks and just is right, but for this I don't think a big lump of metal can be justified, especially with all the other classic styling going on. There's just something right about a P Bass and a threaded bridge, I guess as well it matters on just how much sustain you want, would be interesting to hear the basses compared with and without the badass to see if there is any noticeable difference in tone.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1366201801' post='2049496']
That must be wrong because I had a Hispanic girlfriend and , by an amazing coincidence considering it is my name as well , she used to use the word "Dingus " for asshole . Many times I heard her saying to her friends on the phone " Dingus is an asshole " . Maybe she was helping them brush up on their Spanish .
[/quote]

[size="4"][size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]That reminds me of when I was doing some Spanish classes, the teacher demonstrated the importance of the tilde with the example [/font][/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]'Tengo quarenta años' as compared to 'Tengo quarenta anos'[/font][/color][/size][/size]

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1366202536' post='2049507']
Don't get me wrong Dingus, the badass is a cracking bridge, on some P Basses it looks and just is right, but for this I don't think a big lump of metal can be justified, especially with all the other classic styling going on. There's just something right about a P Bass and a threaded bridge, I guess as well it matters on just how much sustain you want, would be interesting to hear the basses compared with and without the badass to see if there is any noticeable difference in tone.
[/quote]

I see what you mean . I suppose the Badass goes with the homemade/ customised vibe of these basses . On reflection , I am a bit surprised that Fender have gone with a Badass on this bass considering both the overal low price of the bass and the relative expense of Badass bridges . I don't think anyone would have been put out if they just went with the BBOT bridge , but myself personally , I would be grateful for the Badass . Maybe Fender experimented and found the Badass sounded better on this bass , or maybe they have got a load of Badass bridges in their warehouse left over from the Highway 1 basses ect . and were looking for a way to get rid of them .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1366203218' post='2049528']
I see what you mean . I suppose the Badass goes with the homemade/ customised vibe of these basses . On reflection , I am a bit surprised that Fender have gone with a Badass on this bass considering both the overal low price of the bass and the relative expense of Badass bridges . I don't think anyone would have been put out if they just went with the BBOT bridge , but myself personally , I would be grateful for the Badass . Maybe Fender experimented and found the Badass sounded better on this bass , or maybe they have got a load of Badass bridges in their warehouse left over from the Highway 1 basses ect . and were looking for a way to get rid of them .
[/quote]

It's not a Badass on the Cabronita, the specs state it's a 'Fender Hi-mass' bridge. I think the bridge looks too big and cumbersome in relation to the simplistic style of the rest of the bass.

Yes, but it`s a very Badass looking Fender bridge. Not at all like the hi-mass ones on the 2008 onwards series. Makes me wonder if Fender have taken Leo Quans operation over, with a bit of re-branding, as they are incredibly similar. especially seeing as for a while Badass bridges virtually disappeared - aside from those on new Fenders, that is.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1366205108' post='2049565']
Looks similar to one of the Squier bridges[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, it looks a little bit like a bigger version of the Badass III, but I'm sure if it [i]were[/i] a genuine Badass on there Fender would be adding an extra £100 to the list price

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1366207086' post='2049599']
Wow , I expect Badass are not very happy about the Fender design and its' similarity to their own . .
[/quote]

This is the high mass bridge that Fender use on the Cabronita: [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-High-Mass-Chrome-BRIDGE-Grooved-/200847041709?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ec36aa4ad"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-High-Mass-Chrome-BRIDGE-Grooved-/200847041709?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ec36aa4ad[/url]

It just looks like a generic high mass bridge that can be picked up a for a few quid off ebay from the Far East, at a stretch I guess it looks a little similar to the Badass III with the through body stringing, but IMO it doesn't look much like the Badass, certainly not enough to make me think it was one and not just one that they'd lifted off a Squier CV

Okay, I've taken a few days to formulate an opinion:

The looks don't do anything for me whatsoever. The bridge looks oversized, the pickup looks undersized and the pickguard looks like it serves no meaning purpose whatsoever. The video demo is okay, but that sound could be achieved with any number of Fender-designed basses with the help of eq and a bit of overdrive. The price is decent however.

I would have got rid of the pickguard and put in an oversized humbucker/single coil pickup in the style of a G&L/Musicman or a completely unusable EB3-style mudbucker.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1366208689' post='2049623']
This is the high mass bridge that Fender use on the Cabronita: [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-High-Mass-Chrome-BRIDGE-Grooved-/200847041709?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ec36aa4ad"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item2ec36aa4ad[/url]

It just looks like a generic high mass bridge that can be picked up a for a few quid off ebay from the Far East, at a stretch I guess it looks a little similar to the Badass III with the through body stringing, but IMO it doesn't look much like the Badass, certainly not enough to make me think it was one and not just one that they'd lifted off a Squier CV
[/quote]

Looking at the video of the bass again , it looks even more like a Badass to me ! The big , square shape ( rather than rectangular ) and styling of it looks very Badass-like to me .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1366202588' post='2049508']
[size=4][size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]That reminds me of when I was doing some Spanish classes, the teacher demonstrated the importance of the tilde with the example [/font][/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]'Tengo quarenta años' as compared to 'Tengo quarenta anos'[/font][/color][/size][/size]

[/quote]

I think I get your gist .

Edited by Dingus