Why become a member? ×

Universities and the Statements of the obvious

Owencf

My mate is studying At Aberdeen Uni recieved and email with a flashing High importance thingy on it basically saying.

consider not going through with any plans to travel to South Korea in the immediate future.

My only thoughts were No sh*t. not without one of these

and some 4 million sunblock

It'll all be over by [s]Xmas[/s] Wednesday....
[URL=http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/paul_510/media/Norris_zps3c30f68c.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/paul_510/Norris_zps3c30f68c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1365701837' post='2043256']
My mate is studying At Aberdeen Uni recieved and email with a flashing High importance thingy on it basically saying.

consider not going through with any plans to travel to South Korea in the immediate future.

My only thoughts were No sh*t.
[/quote]

You'd think that, but I work in a building at Aberdeen Uni where students can't even figure out how fire doors work. Getting negative feedback and resistance from one half of a fire door? Try the other half? No, push harder! ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1365715948' post='2043534']
You'd think that, but I work in a building at Aberdeen Uni where students can't even figure out how fire doors work. Getting negative feedback and resistance from one half of a fire door? Try the other half? No, push harder! ;)
[/quote]

I have run into a similar issue with "Engineers" on a major gas plant...Can't operate firedoors with simple instructions, is building massive complex to process volatile hydrocarbons, What me worry.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1365750180' post='2043754']
In a previous job, a "Health & Safety advisor" told me that I need to wear a lanyard if I'm climbing above 2 meters. I was going up about 3 meters so I put my pass on.
[/quote]
The health and safety officer was correct to be fair.You are still around to tell the tale, so the pass probably saved you from a nasty accident

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1365752653' post='2043790']
The health and safety officer was correct to be fair.You are still around to tell the tale, so the pass probably saved you from a nasty accident
[/quote]

I think he meant this...

& not this...

:lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1365759298' post='2043937']
Now I'm picturing you swinging about in a harness playing your bass! :lol:
[/quote]

Hmm, I have done my working from heights course with harnesses. They are designed to keep you alive for max 15 mins (just the fall bit really). If you don't get rescued from the harness within 15 mins you will normally die, due to restriction of the blood flow through the major vessels in your upper legs/groin. Happy Friday everyone!!! :lol:

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1365760434' post='2043966']
Hmm, I have done my working from heights course with harnesses. They are designed to keep you alive for max 15 mins (just the fall bit really). If you don't get rescued from the harness within 15 mins you will normally die, due to restriction of the blood flow through the major vessels in your upper legs/groin. Happy Friday everyone!!! :lol:
[/quote]

I think I'll take my chances falling 8 foot with an ID holder.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1365760434' post='2043966']
[/quote]

What we were made to remember on my supervisor course was that they're not intended to catch you if you fall - they're supposed to be adjusted to a length that stops you being able to go over the edge in the first place. Which makes more sense of the whole blood-flow-cutting-off-thing.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1365787051' post='2044622']
What we were made to remember on my supervisor course was that they're not intended to catch you if you fall - they're supposed to be adjusted to a length that stops you being able to go over the edge in the first place. Which makes more sense of the whole blood-flow-cutting-off-thing.
[/quote]

I work on ships, sometimes you are over a large drop and ours include drop speed reducers to help (not me, I prefer to stay inside but I do have to venture on top of the bridge on rare occasions). The dockyard has a team dedicated to getting people down within (ideally) 10 mins I believe. Basically I don't want to test it. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1365759298' post='2043937']
Now I'm picturing you swinging about in a harness playing your bass! :lol:
[/quote]

With optional "blood"..........
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVGytqpWmKM[/media]

or balloons...............(@ 4:37) ??
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do9QFucoIDY[/media]

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1365788965' post='2044658']
I work on ships, sometimes you are over a large drop and ours include drop speed reducers to help (not me, I prefer to stay inside but I do have to venture on top of the bridge on rare occasions). The dockyard has a team dedicated to getting people down within (ideally) 10 mins I believe. Basically I don't want to test it. :)
[/quote]

I've not tried the mechanical fall arrestors but I did some work many years ago where we were issued with fall arrest lanyards - a length of webbing folded back and forth over itself with a plastic sheath over it so it would unravel as it was pulled and slow you down.

I've always found it far easier not to fall in the first place. :D

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1365795040' post='2044749']
With optional "blood"..........
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVGytqpWmKM[/media]

or balloons...............(@ 4:37) ??
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do9QFucoIDY[/media]
[/quote]

Yeah, but are they wearing BC lanyards?