Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HOW GOOD ARE STINGRAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marcus bell

Oh god.

I've been without a stingray for a few years now, then today our shop took delivery of some; it's the first time I've had them in stock for about 4 years...

And I'm going mad wondering what I'm going to order!!!!

The Stingray 5 we have is a really special instrument; but I'm not sure I'd use a 5 much.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1366156640' post='2049160']
All except me, what happened?

Trans teal, maple neck, one of the nicest finishes to any bass.
[/quote]

Have to agree with you there sir.

[URL=http://s85.photobucket.com/user/Linus27uk/media/Stingray.jpg.html][IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/Linus27uk/Stingray.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I tried a couple of 'real' Stingrays a few years ago and didn't really like them - too heavy, neck too big - they seemed a lot of money, too, although at the time I would have gladly paid out for one had it suited. I never managed to get my mitts on a Sterling but it seemed a lot of money to pay out with the risk I wouldn't like it, given my experience with the Rays. After reading all the glowing reports I bought a nearly new SBMM SB-14 on here nearly a year ago and it is lovely. I don't know how much of a jump in quality you get by getting 'real' ones, but the SB-14 is good enough for my purposes. Lightweight, beautifully balanced, wonderful neck, great range of (mainly) aggressive tones, massive output (hottest bass I have had - if I don't temper the gain control it goes nuclear). Suits the heavy classic rock band I am in down to a t. At a recent gig a bassist in the crowd came up aftwerwards and asked me if I would leave it to him in my will, cheeky git - I'm not that old.

Only the real ones appear to get that honey coloured neck over time, all the cheaper version I have seen have had either a pasty white neck or a painted neck, the weight can sometimes make a bass feel more proper,that is true of many things in life like watches etc. The control knobs/pots felt cheap on all the cheaper versions I have tried and the main difference is the body edges, on most budget instruments they are sharp edged from the cnc which is good compared to tat of yester year but all hand finished basses (try a true custom like a GB or Overwater etc) have that rolled edge that machines cant do easily if at all. IMO Like it or not we do get an extra bit of enjoyment from owning the real thing so if it's enjoyment you want I'd say go for the real deal :)

On the other hand the pre EBs are better anyway :D