Why become a member? ×

HOW GOOD ARE STINGRAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marcus bell

Yep, anyone who says they are a one trick pony needs to practice their own techniques more ;) I'm no virtuoso but some people rely on the tone controls and amp setting to try and get their sound, the only thing I do from my basic sound for the night is cut a bit of treble when I'm using a pick and maybe add a touch if using the old thumb!

Have you seen Ed friedlands ray clips?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I suppose, Marcus, if to pour some cold water on your enthusiasm to buy a Stingray, the difference between that and a US SUB is the finish and so I wondered whether your Precision might give you more options for sound etc.

Also great to see you have a Jaydee Roadie! I do too, mines a Roadie 1A. It's got a super fast action and Jazz sound better than a Jazz! Trouble is, never really get to use it nowadays.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1366151977' post='2049125']
I suppose, Marcus, if to pour some cold water on your enthusiasm to buy a Stingray, the difference between that and a US SUB is the finish and so I wondered whether your Precision might give you more options for sound etc.

Also great to see you have a Jaydee Roadie! I do too, mines a Roadie 1A. It's got a super fast action and Jazz sound better than a Jazz! Trouble is, never really get to use it nowadays.
[/quote]

I mean I want to buy a real American stingray I've found a 1994 model in sunburst that I could buy as soon as my precision sells hence why I'm taking offers on it :)

When choosing your 'real' SR, as you call it, I'd recommend trying the various neck finishes, just to see what era and series you like the feel of best. I'd also recommend, due to your affinity for Jazzes, that you try the SR SLO special.

Ref some of the points made above:

Had a SR back in the day and it was ok. But I much prefer my Bongo to the SR. Perhaps I just wasn't playing the sort of music that caused me to really get the best of the SR back then. However - I've recently surprised myself by starting to use my Steinberger XL-2 almost 100% of the time. MattM is right - the feel and playability of this little all-graphite bass is the best I've yet experienced - not to mention the tone and sustain. It kind of spoils you for other basses.

Ref the Teal coloured MM basses - I have to agree. My fretless is a transparent Teal MM Sterling with matching headstock and it looks, sounds and feels great. Through the OC-2 - I think you'd love it for obvious reasons.

Ref the green SR above - please let's not start a "Why can't you get green guitars?" thread - we all know what happened when someone made that comment on a certain manufacturer's forum a few years ago.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1366153726' post='2049146']

Ref the green SR above - please let's not start a "Why can't you get green guitars?" thread - we all know what happened when someone made that comment on a certain manufacturer's forum a few years ago.
[/quote]

All except me, what happened?

Trans teal, maple neck, one of the nicest finishes to any bass.

[quote name='ebenezer' timestamp='1366207829' post='2049615']
bought one of those bog seat basses new in 79........nobody wanted them
[/quote]

Serious? That was interesting. As far as I recall, in Holland they immediately became the dog's nuts as well as the best thing since Precision, Jazz and sliced bread.
Personally, from what I heard and read back then, it became my instant bass to dream about alongside the Rick.

best,
bert