Why become a member? ×

HOW GOOD ARE STINGRAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marcus bell

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1365793894' post='2044735']
I'd hunt for a nice late 80s or early 90s one, six bolt neck but two eq, nice figured neck etc
[/quote]

Passed up an opportunity that I will regret forever to buy a late 80's one in cream with the most amazing birdseye figured maple neck, an out and out beauty and an incredible player!

There's a very decent 2EQ black/maple one on SC just now for £700 which is a good price, 2EQ being the way to go if you have the choice.

If you wait a couple of weeks, there may also be an almost sexually good 1988 2EQ coming up on the block.... ;)

Edited by MattM

4 string 2 band is the way, I know you have a bit more tonal control with the 3, but you lose a bit of the stingray punch on a 3band, well I found I did with mine, now if you get your mitts on a fair wad of cash check out a 78 that Andy baxter has up for sale, natural finish, it sounds stonking, its looks great, but its £2k.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1365853201' post='2045205']

Teal is the best colour and with maple too, my main bass was teal SR4 for ten years until I traded it on here for my black SR5.
[/quote]MM teal is lovely. I had a teal SR5 with rosewood board, great bass, I should not have let that go.

[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/StingBodysmall.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1365798349' post='2044803']

Yes '87 onwards, thats where the 6 bolt neck, truss rod adjusting wheel and 3 band EQ came from. Early ones are Alnico pickup equipped too for full Ray goodness :)
[/quote]

But lacking flip-up battery compartments and having no hum-cancelling phantom coil for single-coil mode..

They are great basses. I would love to have owned one, but mostly the realistically priced Stingrays I see come up for sale are online, and they are a bass you really have to play before you buy, on account of the fact that some of them suffer terribly with dead spots and weak D and G strings.

Maybe one day!

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1365901915' post='2045873']
It would be cool if they did a roadworn series :)
[/quote]

Noooooo! That's about as relevant to a Stingray as this: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175341-mm-ray-with-gold-hardwear

Buy one, use it incessantly, see what happens. Stingray players are real bass players.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1365885738' post='2045738']

But lacking flip-up battery compartments and having no hum-cancelling phantom coil for single-coil mode..
[/quote]
I keep a multitool in my gear bag and always keep at least one 9v battery spare so its not a massive issue, never had a battery go completely mid song either. The true single coil is a thing of legend and to be honest I don't like my phantom coils as there is a tiny delay added imo, the only time I go to single coil is if I can't cut through at all.

Played a 2+ hour set last night covering every genre going and I think any bass player in the audience would of agreed that even though it might not be the exact sound they would want for their own originals it did exactly what it says on the tin, good solid sound for funk, disco, indie, pop, r&b, rock and anything else I have forgotten. Proper gigging bass :)