Why become a member? ×

Cheap back up bass.

Lewbass

Squier would be your answer, I imagine.

Though, sometimes, it can be false economy to get a lesser version of something you know and love - well worth having a think over. I think I spent a lot more time and money trying to find the ideal back-up, than I might have if I'd just plumbed for saving for another.

I'll put in another vote for Westone basses, but from the Thunder range - they are sufficiently P-Bass like to feel familiar. The Concord (early ones, anyway) is a short scale, so maybe not everyones cup of tea. Thunder 1, 1A and Thunder jet basses go for not a lot and are superb value for money. I have a pimped Thunder Jet and it is a monster - necks are amazing. Unless you are particularly lucky with a Squier, Westones will be better basses £ for £.

[quote name='Lewbass' timestamp='1364904861' post='2032357']
I am looking for a cheap back up to my main gigging bass. Something around 100-120 quid.
Ideally a p-bass.

Ideas please?

Lewis.
[/quote]

I always swear by a Korean made OLP, back-up or not. If you're going to go down that route, make sure to get a Korean one, and NOT a Chinese one. (The difference really is massive, trust me!) Really good examples of Korean OLP's have gone for around £140 recently, but expect to see them advertised around the £200 mark.

Not a P bass, and likely out of your budget, but i do always like to point people towards them because of the sheer bang for the buck you get from them!

[quote name='joe.staffs' timestamp='1364927467' post='2032846']

You could pick up an 80's CIJ Westone Concord bass for cheap. Nothing but good things are said about Matsumoku made guitars and they're nearly vintage!
[/quote]
I second this, though I sold mine when I was poor, I really do miss it.

If you are using a Thunder as a back up for a P when gigging then beware how they hang on the body. If your P dies and you need to grab a backup, the Thunders hang about two frets forward of where the P hangs. This will inevitably lead to you playing in the wrong key at a moment when you are already stressed because your P has failed.

Thunders are great by their geometry is VERY different and could lead to issues.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1365020566' post='2034320']
Westones are a good shout. Just be careful it doesn't take over your life!
[/quote]

+1!
First you'll get a nice cheap Thunder IA, then you'll notice there's the II & III models and just casually check
prices on eBay and before you know it... WESTONAGEDDON!

A Westone Thunder Jet has just finished on eBay at £68.51 including a decent hard case! These are lightweight models, around 8lbs, with an extra fret and all black hardware. Someone got themselves a bargain. Upgrade the pup and you've got a really good bass.

I got me a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Precision (single coil) last year, as a backup bass. Also because I wanted a 4-stringer again, other than my electric upright.

The neck was warped (I foolishly did not bother to check it when I bought it) and I put flatwound strings on it. Sound is really good, and a few yanks on the old truss rod have straightened the neck out nicely. I'd love to put TI Jazz flats on it but they cost too much compared to the price of the bass :)

Bit of spam: I play said bass on the video of "La Grange" which is on the opening page of [url=http://www.dustydollar.be/]my band's website[/url]. I believe I played it through an Ashdown amp.

I would of said a good old westfield before i bought an aria stb jazz a very well built and simply a very nice bass overall indeed and needs no excuses on cost....mine is a jazz but they all have p necks so quite versatile combo..cost 116 delivered but this may have been a blow out deal?

Edited by iconic