Why become a member? ×

Radio 2 Top 100 albums - your verdict please!

Marvin

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1364924981' post='2032786']
I am sure they did this a few years back and The Clash London Calling came out top...I liked that list...I like this current list less!
[/quote]
I remember that list.That was titled the most influential album list though.

I have 23. I may buy some more from that list in particular Kate Bush's - The Kick Inside.

I listened to sections of it in the car on my trips to the dump. They played some classic tunes (Singles) from the albums. Was quite a good run down.

I suspect it is aimed at, and probably compiled by people of my age (43) and it's my station of choice.

Surely this is more a comment on Radio 2's play list than on peoples choices? If they had to choose from Radio 2's Top 100 albums by number of plays, and there is still 100 albums on this 'favourites' list then, this is the original play list shuffled into some kind of popularity order. None of my favourites are on here, but I still listen to and enjoy Radio 2 in the car sometimes.
Have to say a word in defence of Keane as they are getting a bit of a slagging (not really my 'thing', I'm off to Download this year for the weekend :crazy: ) but I've been along with the missus to see them a couple of times and they are a class live act. That lad has an amazing set of pipes on him and it's a very 'positive' vibe compared to normal gigs. There are even family groups, with young kids and grannies along. IMHO if a band gets kids out to see live music, played by a band (rather than the 'go-go karaoke' that passes for a lot of the tosh they get fed these days) then they can't be that bad.

Coldplay, on the other hand..... ;)

OMG, what an absolutely disgraceful abomination! TBH, I do only own 4 - 'What's Going On', 'Tapestry' 'Can't Buy A Thrill' and 'C'est Chic'.

The rest just is the same old, same old. Almost a list for those who obviously don't like music! I think some stuff makes lists regularly because if people are told that certain records are classics enough times, it become sacrilegious not to fall along with it.

It's almost a list compiled of other 'best of's' lists....every artist's 'masterpiece'.

Saying that, James Blunt? Whitney? Maroon 5??? :o[size=4] [/size] :o Didn't know they'd made a masterpiece!

[size=4]Those of us in covers bands....these voters are your average audience....... :([/size][size=4] [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] [/size]

Strangely enough my "Brothers In Arms" CD has gone MiA; what makes me even more uncomfortably a typical radio 2 listener is that it was my fist bought CD :unsure: :o . Second was a Slade US import.
I'm also missing a Georgia Satellites CD which an ex bought me :( Haven't heard "Battleship Chains" in years come to think of it.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1365018873' post='2034286']
Strangely enough my "Brothers In Arms" CD has gone MiA; what makes me even more uncomfortably a typical radio 2 listener is that it was my fist bought CD :unsure: :o . Second was a Slade US import.
I'm also missing a Georgia Satellites CD which an ex bought me :( Haven't heard "Battleship Chains" in years come to think of it.
[/quote]

Brothers in Arms was the first CD. Or is that just one of those urban legends or whatever they're called?

I'm trying to work out if they're the Albums that the 'Best' singles were from. From memory they played Led Zepplin - Rock and Roll, Police - We are Spirits. It's probably on Listen Again.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1365004801' post='2034031']
OMG, what an absolutely disgraceful abomination! TBH, I do only own 4 - 'What's Going On', 'Tapestry' 'Can't Buy A Thrill' and 'C'est Chic'.

The rest just is the same old, same old. Almost a list for those who obviously don't like music! I think some stuff makes lists regularly because if people are told that certain records are classics enough times, it become sacrilegious not to fall along with it.

It's almost a list compiled of other 'best of's' lists....every artist's 'masterpiece'.

Saying that, James Blunt? Whitney? Maroon 5??? :o :o Didn't know they'd made a masterpiece!

[size=4]Those of us in covers bands....these voters are your average audience....... :([/size]

[/quote]

Wow, Mr Angry from Kent; try breathing deeply and counting to 10 :); live and let live I think. Just because an artist not being on your own personal playlist does not instantly make that person or band rubbish. I was 'disappointed' by a lot of the choices but then I didn't vote and so have no right to complain really.

I certainly own a few of the selected list but you should also factor in the somewhat narrow criteria for selection and the average R2 listener demographic. It's just a milder form of TV shows like "Britain's Got Issues."

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1365031936' post='2034513']
Brothers in Arms was the first CD. Or is that just one of those urban legends or whatever they're called?[/quote]

Yeah, it has that reputation; whether it was the actual first commercial CD I dunno, it may have been the "Money For Nothing" video, MTV & the CD all in one go that pushed it.
They had been made for two or three years previously; I remember my Dad (who worked for Phillips/Mullards) in the late 70's/v. early 80s, telling me the whole site had been called into a demo room. "You should have seen it ar Stuart, records the size of your hand with all the colours of the rainbow in 'em, no needle and a laser beam instead. It's the future lad".
Yeah yeah Dad, keep taking the tablets.

I only listened to it properly when Claudia Winkleman was on, not that I have a thing about her you understand :gas: & I think it was their choice of track from an audience nominated album.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1364852976' post='2031885']
Here they are
:
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/vote/top-albums/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...ote/top-albums/[/url]
[/quote]

wasnt there a thread on here a while back ... i think i may have even started it myself :gas: about a poll/vote(?) of top bass players

didnt john taylor feature up in the top five iirc ?

<_<

100,000 people

how sad