Why become a member? ×

Why do we play right (or left handed) ?

lojo

Ok, if your a lefty you'll have to reverse the post

Although the right hand does alot to play finger style with feel, it would seem the 4 fingers on the fretboard would be the more natural thing to try to do with your best hand.

Completly stupid pointless thought I know

My guess would be that it feels as natural for a lefty playing as it does a "normal" person ;) (BlueJay will batter me for that!) so your dominant hand is whatever it is.
I've been told by two lefties that play righty (Dave Hill & Cropper - who also said Duck Dunn was the same) that in the "old days" it was because they could never find a true cheap enough left handed guitar, if at all, when they hadn't much money to pay for one.

Both hands are equally important and need to be coordinated properly to get good results. I'd like to know the reason why some people feel they would be unable to switch (given time & effort) from their natural orientation to the other way. I'm left handed, but made a conscious decision to play right handed because I felt this gave me greater scope in choosing instruments. Also, left handed guitars look... well... odd :)

Edited by zero9

When I asked for a bass guitar when I was 12 for Christmas, my dad was advised by his then bandmate who was a lefty to get me, also a lefty, a right-handed instrument. I do thank god I learnt the way I have, although I've got a lot of respect for left-handed players as I know it can be tough finding instruments.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1364325438' post='2024941']
If no lefty instruments had been made and acoustic guitars had not been symetrical more leftys would of learnt the right handed way wouldn't they? Not many lefty orchestral players is there?
[/quote]
A lot would, and a lot wouldn't. I for one would never have had the pleasure of playing an instrument, making a living from it and seeing parts of the world many dream of. My life would have been completely different.
Many true left handed players are not in orchestras, because of the lack of left handed instruments available at the teaching stage. Those who are could adapt, many cannot.
In answer to the opening post.... I don't know.

I do respect the fact that true lefties need to play left handed.
But I'm a lefty who plays right handed. I do find anything requiring speed with the right hand a challenge. And I don't think I could ever play with a pick - using any sort of tool with my RH is difficult.
On the other hand (lol, pun intended) I'm getting pretty nifty with my LH on the fretboard. I think whichever way you play you just have to work on your weaker hand.
One thing I can never understand though, is why do some people play drums left handed. I mean why should it be more important to use your good hand on the hi hat than on the snare? I had a few drum lessons a while back, and one of the students would always have to change the whole kit round before he played. I honestly couldn't see the point. To me,drumming was a bit like dancing. You're using all four of your limbs anyway, so it doesn't matter which hand or foot does what.
(Dad'll be along in a minute to tell me I'm wrong, lol)

Thinking about this, I think it's because the 'favoured' hand has more dexterity [b]and[/b] strength than the other one.

Your fretting hand is only doing one job - it's fretting a note using (hopefully) a mediocre amount of strength and a fair amount of dexterity.

Your playing hand is doing two jobs - it's pulling a single string (dexterity) with an appropriate amount of strength to make the note ring clear and true.

I picked up a guitar the wrong way round first few times when i was a wee nipper, always a bit ambidextrous, dad made me play it right-handed, cos it was his guitar, and he played it that way. I still maintain that if I had learned the other way round I would now be the greatest musician to grace a stage :)
Also, I could have had an upside down strat like hendrix, without looking like a nob who bought a lefty to look like hendrix (which i didn't do)
:)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1364328146' post='2025005']
Your playing hand is doing two jobs - it's pulling a single string (dexterity) with an appropriate amount of strength to make the note ring clear and true.
[/quote]

pulling a single string is one job , whats the other :rolleyes: is it for pulling something else :P

I often thought that as I am right handed I should be fretting with the right hand , but I guess that at the end of the day it doesn't matter and is purely a question of practice whichever way you do it .

Ed ...to add smut

Edited by lurksalot

One of the great guitarists I used to watch locally played a normally strung guitar left handed. He was such a clever player that he made a feature of this and could play things that a 'normal' right hander couldn't.

Clive Hooper is one of the reasons I'm now a bass player!!!

I'm not aware of any upside down bass players. Are there any?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1364327651' post='2024994']

One thing I can never understand though, is why do some people play drums left handed. I mean why should it be more important to use your good hand on the hi hat than on the snare? I had a few drum lessons a while back, and one of the students would always have to change the whole kit round before he played. I honestly couldn't see the point. To me,drumming was a bit like dancing. You're using all four of your limbs anyway, so it doesn't matter which hand or foot does what.
(Dad'll be along in a minute to tell me I'm wrong, lol)
[/quote]

It's because of the hand that you lead with when doing a roll round the drums. Leading with the left hand on a right handed kit means that you can't follow onto the next drum. I know that 'cause my drummer told me, about the only intelligent thing he's ever said though.

Edited by bertbass

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1364337429' post='2025223']
It's because of the hand that you lead with when doing a roll round the drums. Leading with the left hand on a right handed kit means that you can't follow onto the next drum. I know that 'cause my drummer told me, about the only intelligent thing he's ever said though.
[/quote]
... and that's why Ringo sounds like Ringo ... yes?

I tried both left and right handed basses for a few weeks, right handed felt best despite me being lefty.

Likewise on drums, I play right handed setup but don't play crossed.... left hand for the hi hat, right hand for the ride, whichever other hand for the snare. The advantage is that both hands get the same workout whereas most drummers have a weak hand.

And yes, for fills around the kit I mostly have to lead with my right hand, although leading with the left results in some interesting fills.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1364340870' post='2025276']
I tried both left and right handed basses for a few weeks, right handed felt best despite me being lefty.

Likewise on drums, I play right handed setup but don't play crossed.... left hand for the hi hat, right hand for the ride, whichever other hand for the snare. The advantage is that both hands get the same workout whereas most drummers have a weak hand.

And yes, for fills around the kit I mostly have to lead with my right hand, although leading with the left results in some interesting fills.
[/quote]
I'm exactly the same as you, my brother is also a lefty who plays right handed guitar (he's never touched a bass) and right handed drums although he plays cross handed.

I've tried a left handed bass before but it was extremely awkward, I couldn't fret particularly well nor did I feel I had as much control with my plucking hand.

Left..? Right..? Ambidextrous..? It's enough to confuse anyone...
My Dad was lefty through and through, although 'thorough' old-school schooling forced him to write (badly...) with his right hand.
A younger brother is a hard lefty, too, but started playing on my guitar, so plays righty (and damned well too...). His left-hand dexterity was, in the early years, a huge advantage, and very distinctive. Hard work (including the tying of fingers to force others to work...) got his finger-picking skills to a very high level.
I'm naturally righty, for bass and guitar, and started out that way round on drums, but after about a year of little progress, decided to try it out switched. I've played lefty ever since. Although limb independence is a goal in modern drumming, I never fully achieved this. I can play righty, but it's nowhere near what I do on my lefty kit.
I've still the intention of getting a lefty guitar, simply to see for myself if one can become proficient (even at this late stage...).
For my part, I'm quite convinced that either way round is do-able for just about everyone, lefty or righty, although I could be wrong. It's certainly not a handicap, being lefty on a righty instrument, for most folks, I think.

Edited by Dad3353

Although I'm technically lefty I'm not sure how seriously lefty I am. Nearly everything I've picked up using two hands in a co ordinated manner I've done right handed (golf, cricket, bass playing) although I always use a snooker/pool cue left handed and used to hold raquets left handed. I'm right footed and hold a knife and fork right handed. However, I will alwys use a spoon left handed.

Edited by KevB