Why become a member? ×

Flatwound virgin...

Grassie

There has been a fair bit of discussion on here recently regarding flatwound strings and their pros and cons, so as I'm always chasing an "ideal" sound, I thought I'd get a set for my P-bass. A set of Status Hotwire flatwounds have just been delivered to my house, and I've wasted no time in putting them on my bass. I bought a set of 45-105's but was aware of the increased tension flats create on the neck, but as the band I play in tune down half a step, I thought I'd stick with the gauge I've been using. I initially tuned as standard, and yes, there was a bit more room created between the frets and the string so I lowered the action and off I went.
Bloody hell! These strings are [i]creamy[/i]! I rattled off a few lines (well, there wasn't any rattle) and then tuned down to the "band tuning", with no adverse effects. Why I haven't "gone flat" before now is anyone's guess, but flats on a P-bass is the way to go. I bought the Status strings as they were one of the cheapest (£20.39 delivered) just in case I didn't get on with them, but I'm a convert straight away. I'm also hoping that they will retain their fundemental tone longer than roundwounds, as I was getting through two sets a month (which is a lot for me), and I'm also looking to prevent wear and tear on the last two fingers of my fretting hand. Due to an early childhood accident involving my hand and a gas fire, I basically lost the "padding" on my fingertips. After numerous skin grafts as a kid, playing rounds often leaves my fingertips sore and the skin will ocasionally crack (not as bad as it sounds but painful nonetheless). The flats feel like a massive improvement already. Winner! :D

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1363867172' post='2018586']
My father in law is a keen fisherman so when I started talking about flatties there was some confusion and the conversation floundered.
[/quote]

What's his view on bass? Anyway, this isn't the plaice for that kind of post. Get on with your scales...

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1363867001' post='2018580']
I'm also hoping that they will retain their fundemental tone longer than roundwounds
[/quote]

You can bet that they will. I am talking about flats generally, as I'm not familiar with the Status Hotwires.

I have read on other forums where people have had the same set of flats on their bass
for......thirty years, :blink: and claim that the tone is still good. I would not go that far myself,
but I think you can get the message.

Glad you are happy with them.

Edited by Coilte

+1 with the Status flats.

I did the same a couple of weeks ago. Brought some more as a "lets see what all the shizzle is" and put them onto my Bitsa PJ. Like you, I didn't wanna spend a huge amount of cash on a set of flats only to find I didn't get one with them.

If I'm being honest, it's taken me a while to get used to them but I'm definitely starting to warm to 'em. I think for me, they're not going to suit everything I play in the set but they're absolutely nailing some of the traditional R&B / soul / motown stuff we do in the set. On these numbers, where I was finding myself having to roll off the top end, play further towards the bridge and use a fair but of palm muting to give me that "old skool" thump, I'm now finding I'm getting a SO MUCH more authentic tone.

It sounds hardly surprising now but I guess I needed to ACTUALLY use flats and see how they suited me before I'd made up my mind.

Again, I'm probably still going to use nickels on my other basses but I'm definitely converted for keeping them on my Bitsa PJ.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1363872767' post='2018696']
I have read on other forums where people have had the same set of flats on their bass
for......thirty years, :blink: and claim that the tone is still good. I would not go that far myself,
but I think you can get the message.
[/quote]

Thirty years, as you say, is perhaps a little bit excessive. :)

I think I'd be more worried about making sure my tetanus jabs were up to date than the strings sounding a bit dull. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363876400' post='2018765']
To be fair though, it [i]is[/i] actually the gloves giving him that buttery tone... ;)
[/quote]

I'm gonna have to try my gloves out after listening to that.

Think I'll get a similar sound with gardener's gloves?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1363876243' post='2018762']
Thirty years, as you say, is perhaps a little bit excessive. :)[/quote]

It's all because of the little to none gap between the winding. No dust or any other stuff (like dead epidermis) would contaminate the winding so flats last much, much longer. The top quality flats would hold the great tone even longer than 30 years - I can't seem to remember the name of this one fellow who uses the same set of LaBellas on his JB [b]since early 1970's[/b].

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1363876973' post='2018772']
I'm gonna have to try my gloves out after listening to that.

Think I'll get a similar sound with gardener's gloves?
[/quote]

You could try. Probably worth wearing the knee pads and wellies too, just in case ;-)

I once met a bass player who used to rub alcohol on his strings & set them on fire (Whilst still on the bass) let it burn out & wipe the strings down after :blink:
He tried to convince me that it melted all the crap out of them....nutter lol

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1363877397' post='2018786']
You could try. Probably worth wearing the knee pads and wellies too, just in case ;-)
[/quote]

I might give that a go. Should I also wear bib & brace dungerees?

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1363877784' post='2018791']
I once met a bass player who used to rub alcohol on his strings & set them on fire (Whilst still on the bass) let it burn out & wipe the strings down after :blink:
He tried to convince me that it melted all the crap out of them....nutter lol
[/quote]

Nutter? WtF? I boil my strings (whilst still on the bass), and incidentally also roast my necks (whilst still on the bass). Perfec!
Also have a [b]unique[/b] sound.

best,
bert

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1363895872' post='2019168']
How are you getting on with your halfwounds out of interest? Not tried 'em myself but would might like to.
[/quote]

I'm interested to know aswell. Been playing flats (TI's, La Bella's and Fender 9050's) for last 5 years, but have been tempted by halfwounds.