Why become a member? ×

Flatwound virgin...

Grassie

I love them. You still get a very slight "growl" like you get with a round but the bottom end is so much smoother and the balance across the strings feels better. I like bright zingy rounds but I am definitely moving towards preferring halfs, of my three main gigging basses two are now strung with halfs. The recorded tone is lush too. As for feel and tension they give me more what I crave and IMO help my (crappy) technique as they feel "right".

Hope that makes some sense :/

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1363905496' post='2019475']
I love them. You still get a very slight "growl" like you get with a round but the bottom end is so much smoother and the balance across the strings feels better. I like bright zingy rounds but I am definitely moving towards preferring halfs, of my three main gigging basses two are now strung with halfs. The recorded tone is lush too. As for feel and tension they give me more what I crave and IMO help my (crappy) technique as they feel "right".

Hope that makes some sense :/
[/quote]

Makes perfect sense. I bet they sound great on a jazz bass!
I wonder if they are versatile as i imagine, switching between neck and bridge PUP's? Can imagine them giving a good punk growl with bridge pickup and a soul/motown fullness with neck pickup!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1363984138' post='2020660']
Status Hotwires :)
And yes IME the difference between pickups and finger positioning really is noticeable.
Oh and Bert, flat side down ;)
[/quote]

No, you're confusing half- round with, what Merton mentioned, half wound. Half wound means the winding is only on half the string. You choose, neck half or body half.