Why become a member? ×

what was the first band you joined

ashgeezer

Everyone must remember the first band they joined.
Mine was with 3 guys at school, we were a 4 piece that played punk/rock, i ended up as the singer as i coudn"t afford an instrument at the time, we practiced solidly for about 8 months, 3 nights a week and became quite good, then our teacher got us a gig at the local youth club, our set list was "sex pistols" "deep purple and black sabbath, thats all we ever learned which is why the guitarist and me left coz we were sick off sex pistols, we did 3 gigs and on the last gig i fell into the drumkit after drinking way to much old english cider
Thats rock n roll i guess.
HAPPY DAYS.
The band was called GODS TEETH. and it was way back in 84/85

Edited by ashgeezer

My first band was a with a few mates doing hardcore punk back in 1983 :) we didnt do any gigs but wrote all our own stuff, which was probably rubbish, we were called The Demented.
First 'proper' gigging band was 5 years after that, doing heavy rock covers for a band in Peterhead called Warp. i enjoyed that until we got a residency every second thursday in an Aberdeen pub (jj booths) and only played there cause nobody could be bothered getting other gigs, didnt last long after that.
d.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='207049' date='May 27 2008, 08:57 AM']NWOBHM B listers 'No Quarter' - featured on 'Heavy Metal Heroes Volume Two' and a Friday Rock Show Session in '82. One 12 inch EP, Survivors, now goes for £40 on the internet.

My 15 mintes of fame.[/quote]
Superb. What made you go to the [s]dark[/s] jazz side?

Have you heard 'No Quarter'?

Seriously, tho'. I have written elsewhere of why I think people get into more sophisticated genres. You just get bored with the predictability of simpler music forms. I still have a soft spot for HM but it is based on nostalgia and the genre holds few surprises for me, especially bass-wise. So I have, over a long time, looked for other things to get excited about and jazz forms a substantial part of that - although even I am bored of the head-solos-head formats that are a central theme of several of its sub-genres (hard-bop etc).

Jazz is best when someone is taking chances! Same with most music, I guess.

Initially formed with four friends for a Farnham Grammar School dance, "Rusty and the Druids" did a few gigs sometime in 1962. It was pre-Beatles and we played Eddie Cochran, Johnny Kidd, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Cliff and the Shadows, etc. I still see Rusty occasionally and he can still be relied on to get up and sing.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='207079' date='May 27 2008, 09:44 AM']Have you heard 'No Quarter'?[/quote]
Can't recall 'em but I'll be hunting through me NWOBHM archives tonight mate :) Full review tomorrow...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='207079' date='May 27 2008, 09:44 AM']...the genre holds few surprises for me, especially bass-wise...[/quote]
True enough, that's probably why I like it. And can play it :huh:

My first band - The Midnight Circus - formed in 1975 did our final gig and recording in 1983.

25 years later our music is still available, thanks to Hyped To Death Records in Chicago who are bent on documenting as much of the UK and US Post Punk DIY scene as possible on CD. Our retrospective CD compilation is available [url="http://hyped2death.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_25&products_id=39"]here[/url]. We're also hoping to have a track on an new sampler CD released later this year!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='207079' date='May 27 2008, 09:44 AM']Have you heard 'No Quarter'?

Seriously, tho'. I have written elsewhere of why I think people get into more sophisticated genres. You just get bored with the predictability of simpler music forms. I still have a soft spot for HM but it is based on nostalgia and the genre holds few surprises for me, especially bass-wise. So I have, over a long time, looked for other things to get excited about and jazz forms a substantial part of that - although even I am bored of the head-solos-head formats that are a central theme of several of its sub-genres (hard-bop etc).

Jazz is best when someone is taking chances! Same with most music, I guess.[/quote]

I totally agree, music needs to be pushed and listening to the same ol' stuff can get on my nerves. Blues Rock 'n' Roll gets right up my nostrils, especially the likes of Mick Jagger and co.

However, I have to disagree on some point. Overused chord prgressions still sound sweet to me, nothings better than that resolution chord that you've been waiting for and I think that humans do generally like the lyrical melodies and chord progressions that are overused, thats why they are overused i spose!!!

Sometimes less means more I think is what I'm trying to say :) sometimes

First band was called Miyagi Bypass (yes, one of the band members had recently been watching Karate Kid films).

We did all of 3 practices because I don't have enough confidence in my abilities, the singer who had agreed to join bailed (not a major problem), while the lead guitarist was actually quite good and thought I had enough skill to be of use and the drummer wasn't bad but sped up every so often.

So far alright and nothing major that couldn't be sorted....

Now, the rythmn guitarist...oh dear, he'd only had a guitar a few weeks, couldn't play chords (or anything really), and we didn't want to kick him out as he'd set the whole thing up. He was a mate as well. It kind of clicked home when the 3 of us (drums, lead, me) were running through Greenday's Minority and getting bored so he could play along and he couldn't play at all, eventually got the hang of the 3 chords for the verse, then kept playing those when we moved to the chorus.

Also, in the first session I had to tune his guitar for him, 3 weeks after he'd had it he'd never tuned it, not even to itself. The clashing sound of 2 tuned up instruments vs one not intune with anything is quite interesting.

So, 3 practices then nowt, however, the lead guitarist was up for me playing on his new project, but it was a heavy period of coursework and leading upto exams, so I couldn't commit. He's now in a band playing around Birmingham (where he's at uni).

Apologies for length and girth.

Edited by Buzz

BUZZ.
Interesting you should mention you had a guitarist who couldnt play, as i recall we had one as well, we already had the line up but he wanted to join and he was a mate so we told him to go and buy a guitar (it helps) he turned up at rehersals with an Ibanez flying v, a really nice guitar if i remember rightly but it just didn"t fit in with the style we were playing and after an hour he got bored and decided to leave the band(no patience, thought he could sound like schenker in an hour) yeah right.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='207079' date='May 27 2008, 09:44 AM']Have you heard 'No Quarter'?

Seriously, tho'. I have written elsewhere of why I think people get into more sophisticated genres. You just get bored with the predictability of simpler music forms. I still have a soft spot for HM but it is based on nostalgia and the genre holds few surprises for me, especially bass-wise.[/quote]

have to agree with that - i realised it the other night when going through my ipod to put a pre-gig playlist together for [url="http://www.livenloudrock.com"]LIVE n' LOUD[/url] - i've actually got very little rock/metal on there - its been overthrown by various other types of music!

anyways - my first band were Phoenix (original name there!), circa ooooh very early 80's - i'd actually only been playing a few months when i was put forward by my bass teacher who also kinda managed the band (we were all around 13 yrs old at the time) - did quite a few gigs round and about the Southwold area doing covers of Blondie and The Police kinda stuff before me and the guitarist wanted to rock a bit more so started another band the mighty Aces High!!! He of course later went on to much bigger and better things the swine!!!

peace

c

My first and so far only band...

we go by the name of Sumotitsarocka! (thats said all as one mouthfull)

basically we're a 3 peice Me (Teen T-shirt) on bass and vocals (the vocals are shall we say under construction)
My 13 year old (guitar wizz so he thinks) brother on Lead Guitar...
And my mate Andy is our resident tub thumper...

Basically at the minute we're doing covers of stuff from funeral for a friend to red hot chilli peppers...

how ever we do have one piece of original work which was written by my dad but addapted and changed by myself...

we started out in the 07 just for a laugh there was a music contest coming up in our school and it was actually my brothers idea to form the band... luckily it was that summer that i'd decided to learn the bass... well i had nothing better to do and it was better than listening to my brother playing all the time...

but after the success of the competition... we decided to take it further and we now have a set of about half an hour... and after our first proper gig we're hoping to build on that and maybe make it an hour so we can put on a proper performance.... so anyway yeah Sumotitsarocka...

:)

Im still looking for my first band lol.

I jam with a few mates just either guitar and bass, or drum and bass. But My guitard friend from Doncaster dont know what a chord is nor mind being able to play power chords without flufing it, and my mate from sheffield is already in a band (excelent guitard and he plays about on drums a bit too) and hes been in numurous bands with his bass player whos awesome, guy called Si. Its cool jamming and all but I really want to join a band even if we dont take it serious or just do covers. Dont know where to start looking, :)

When a former drummer friend of mine discovered I was getting a bass, back in school, he insisted that I join his new band - little did I know that he wanted an absolute beginner bassist coz nobody else was stupid enough to have him! So we had an evil, awful drummer, a poor guitarist, a reasonably good guitarist, an unreliable singer I found, and me... we played a few terrible gigs with a different line-up each time, but after half a year I'd improved beyond the abilities of these guys and went on to do some cool stuff with the good guitarist (see the Cathode Ray Tube Beef Curry in my sig :))! And since then, I've mostly been in good bands

1982. The Fake Plastic Battleships. Me on guitar and my brother on bass. The Who, Pistols, Sham 69, Xray Spex etc. We were like a Scottish punk version of the Wyld Stallyns ie. we never gigged in fact I don't think we even learnt a song all the way through but we made a glorious racket. At one point we were joined by a guy from Glasgow who could actually play then it dawned on us that we were rubbish so we gave up... obviously I stuck with the foolish notion that one day I'll be a rock star.

[quote name='ianrunci' post='208312' date='May 28 2008, 07:34 PM']A punk band called Nervous Breakdown in 1977 closely followed by another punk band called The Frantic Elevators shortly afterwards,[/quote]

Frantic Elevators - with Mick Hucknall?

Schooldays...late 70s. Three piece. We had a different name every week. Uncle Herbert...Individual Cheese Portions...The Dags...Funcrime. We sounded like a 78rpm version of Rush meets the Police.

The guitarist went on to play with Go West, Tom Jones, The Art Of Noise, then write for Hear Say, Ronan Keating, and a bunch of other people. I fell into an office job.

P

Yeah, Mick's certainly rich...

My first band was a new wave band called D-Notice in 1979. Played mostly originals (mine - they suffered me on rhythm guitar in exchange).

We did a great version of the Police's 'Can't Stand Losing You' but dropped it when it was a hit third time round. Then we played a 'big' gig co-headlining at the Moonlight Club in Hampstead with Furniture (remember them?) The b*stards made us hire the PA and then nicked a mic.

Resurrected the song as an encore and blew the roof off! Unable to beat this 'up yours' moment, we split. :)