Why become a member? ×

Why do we NOT gig?

bagsieblue

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363691662' post='2015826']
How bizarre. :blink: So you have no love for the instrument itself? It is merely a tool of your trade? :(
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that is there?

I live for the gig too, but I have to play and write and record and whatever, there is no way I could turn that compulsion off. If I didn't have to gig and wasn't in bands, I'd probably start learning piano and drums in earnest and the bass and guitar would be tools rather than first love. The music is what counts, not the instrument.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363692339' post='2015843']

The music is what counts, not the instrument.
[/quote]

For me it's a bit of both. The relative size of the bits depends upon the bass and the music. But no, it's not "wrong"... just a bit surprising to me personally! :)

I live for the gig too, but I have to play and write and record and whatever, there is no way I could turn that compulsion off. If I didn't have to gig and wasn't in bands, I'd probably start learning piano and drums in earnest and the bass and guitar would be tools rather than first love. The music is what counts, not the instrument.
[/quote]

Well said! I've said before that i love music, not just a specific instrument or genre. Piano and drums are on my list of things to learn, bass is my first instrument, and carries a lot of weight for me, but it gets pretty lonely outside of a band situation. I'm pretty happy that i can play guitar now for when i'm not involved in anything where i'm playing bass.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363693259' post='2015860']
I agree - but I'll admit to [b]gassing[/b] in the FS forums! :D
[/quote]

Wondered what that smell was :blink:

EDIT: I don't gig atm because of a lack of motivated others.

Edited by Marvin

I tend to really enjoy bass whether I'm learning alone or gigging. I just love how it sounds and feels.

However, I don't think giving up on making your own music is a good idea....ever. Covers bands are fun, but again, it has to be the right band. My last covers band was a lucky break for me, and I doubt I'll get that lucky again to have such a stress free band.

My next project WILL be originals material, its as simple as that. In my mind, I've made it (almost) in my career, so I have little desire for a band to become huge. I just want the fun side of it, and to write/record and gig for a few years in a good quality band.

I'm aiming for The Smiths/Suede/Kasabian vibe, well away from my usual hardcore punk.

I don't have a regular gig at the moment for many of the same reasons that others have mentioned. I only want to do original music and way too many people are way too flaky to form a band with.

I do still play with a few singer/songwriters as a duo with me on upright and harmony vox and I really enjoy it, but it's a bit sporadic. I'd like to be doing a full time gig on bass guitar but frankly I'm not sure my wrist tendons could cope anyway - the last time I was playing BG regularly it took close to 12 months to recover.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363684845' post='2015623']
I'm writing an album at the moment, and when it's done, hopefully by the end of the year or early 2014, I intend to put a band together to play it and get some gigs. However, I am not going to be in it, I just want to watch the band playing my music, so in that sense I am both gigging and not gigging at the same time I think :ph34r:
[/quote]
[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1363685219' post='2015635']
That's a genius idea. All the satisfaction of hearing your music played live, while being able to sit down with a drink and enjoy it :D
[/quote]

I used to get a similar buzz from the theatre/film/tv soundtrack work I used to do. All the buzz of being "part of the show" without the hassles of performing :)

I used to gig lots when I was younger, but haven't done so in ages... although I [i]might[/i] be getting back out there sometime in the near future with a little electronica project.

At present, I lead a very hermit-like existence with my music... it's all produced solo and I don't have any problems with that. Probably because I'm an obsessive control freak, or something ;) But it's also made easier by the sort of music I produce (mainly electeronic), which doesn't rely on other musicians to make it happen.

That said, I do tinker around with a couple of mates, fusing traditional musicianship with electronic shenanigans, which is the project I might be taking out gigging in future. I also do a lot of online collaboration - contributing basslines, synths, sometimes production to other people's music-making, some of which ends up being played live (and very occasionally gets released). I'm in touch with folks around the world on this basis (America, Belgium and Poland in particular) and that's kind of exciting - well, for me anyway.

So I suppose I'm in a few 'virtual' bands. Sort of. Maybe.

Edited by Skol303

[/quote]

Exactly. I like playing the bass, but that's mainly because it's the instrument that I'm happiest playing in a band/gigging situation. As I've said before if I wasn't in a gigging band, I wouldn't have nearly as many basses, and probably no bass amp. Most of my musical energies would be spent on programming synths and sequencers and the occasional guitar.

Edited by BigRedX

I`ve read through this thread and can honestly say I can identify with most posts. For me at the mo` I am in a cover band that plays loads of gigs but I have a helpful dep who at present does more than half the gigs. So I do about 4 per month. Big soul band- quite good well paying gigs. I also have massive disrespect for the audience and just enjoy playing. Dont do it for the money. Like to be appreciated but would not give the musical pinion of any drunken punter a second thought.

Now I am setting up a lounge type four piece- singer, me on upright, piano and drums. All singers. All top musicians who also happen to be good friends. The main problem being in a band with 7 members is there will always be people holding you back, both in musical ability and also some band members are just plain lazy and do not learn songs well enough.

If people dont like a particular situation, change it. I myself have found it so very easy to move on- and up.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1363700263' post='2016048']
I also have massive disrespect for the audience and just enjoy playing. Dont do it for the money. Like to be appreciated but would not give the musical pinion of any drunken punter a second thought.

[/quote]

It's an odd feeling , isn't it. Like you - I didn't used to give a toss but it's sort of crept up on me. It's the positive , gushing remarks when they're not deserved that get me - not critisism.

There was a flap at work once - I avoided it like the plague because of the hard couple of hours graft but turned up at the end. All the lads were sitting about knackered after having done the job (it was a flooded building) and because there was nowhere to sit I just leaned on the suction machine. At that moment our managers turned up and said 'That's right - you lot sit on your bone idle arses while Dave does the bloody job on his own' !! It was a laugh at the time but you just feel a fraud afterwards. It's feelings like that that have shaped my views on punters.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363704021' post='2016146']
It's an odd feeling , isn't it. Like you - I didn't used to give a toss but it's sort of crept up on me. It's the positive , gushing remarks when they're not deserved that get me - not critisism.

There was a flap at work once - I avoided it like the plague because of the hard couple of hours graft but turned up at the end. All the lads were sitting about knackered after having done the job (it was a flooded building) and because there was nowhere to sit I just leaned on the suction machine. At that moment our managers turned up and said 'That's right - you lot sit on your bone idle arses while Dave does the bloody job on his own' !! It was a laugh at the time but you just feel a fraud afterwards. It's feelings like that that have shaped my views on punters.
[/quote]

But Dave, you're bloody brilliant! *hic!* no really, you could probably be the next Elvis *hic*. If you were playing piano, i'd say you were Elton John, God knows you're as good as him! *hic*

One of those isn't a compliment, but which one? :D

Just messing mate ;)

I have to say after putting in what I considered a slightly mediocre effort at my last gig I was bemused when a middle aged and apparently reasonably sober punter came up to me at the end of the set and said how he 'particularly enjoyed my performance'. I didn't feel any disdain or disrespect so much as bafflement. Still, rather that than a queue forming to tell me I was complete sh*te I suppose.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363705646' post='2016200']
But Dave, you're bloody brilliant! *hic!* no really, you could probably be the next Elvis *hic*. If you were playing piano, i'd say you were Elton John, God knows you're as good as him! *hic*

One of those isn't a compliment, but which one? :D

Just messing mate ;)
[/quote]

You'll never beat my dear old Mum. She said to her mate 'You ought to hear our David play - he's nearly as good as them on the telly' !!

To be fair, most punters are great! Some places just seem to attract knuckleheads but most established music pubs generally attract a regular audience who like music and just want to enjoy themselves - which is fine by me! When you get to the niche markets like the blues crowds I often play to, they have a passion that sometimes that veres on nerd teroritry, but they are appreciative and really want to enjoy the music, so that again is cool with me.

People seem to have a different relationship with making music - some have a need to be part of a creative process writing their own music while some want to be appreciated for their craft for the right reasons. For myself, I'm just a bass player - people ring me up and ask me to join bands / play gigs. If I think that it will be any good, be enjoyable and I'm available then it goes in the diary!

I try to take criticism and praise alike with a large pinch of salt, although I must admit that i can't help myself being overly pleased if another musician whom I have any respect for gives me even the faintest props...

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363708176' post='2016287']
You'll never beat my dear old Mum. She said to her mate 'You ought to hear our David play - he's nearly as good as them on the telly' !!
[/quote]

:D Ah, mothers... Is there a factory somewhere programming them all to be like that? :)

Thanks for the input everyone.
A lot of sense written in the thread, and the "Why do we gig" thread as well.

I probably am too demanding or specific in what I'd be looking for, especially having been out of the gigging game for a good while.

Time for another long look in the mirror.......not a pleasant sight though.

To be honest I tend to take the praise or critique from most punters with a pinch of salt , but how I see it is that while they often [b]say[/b] that the band were great , what they actually [b]mean [/b]is that the band provided a great atmosphere for them to enjoy the evening, there are some who genuinely enjoy listening and there are some who are just arses.

I see a few people saying things like " when I only put on a mediocre show " I don't get this. Every gig I do I play my best and put on as much of a show as I can. I have always gone with the idea of " your only as good as your last gig"

Here people have no problem telling you if you where sh*te or not and if you where having an off day they will spread the word on just how crap you where.

I have played huge gigs and tiny gigs and everyone get the same 100 %. The day that changes is the day I change career.

It's an honour to play in front of people even if they have the same iq as pond life ;)