Why become a member? ×

"Hey man, can you send me the tabs of this?"

MiltyG565

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1363696747' post='2015939']

If you cannot hear that what you are playing is wrong, then you need to put down the instrument and find a nice safe hobby like knitting.
:)
[/quote]

What makes you think knitting is safe :blink:

Sharp needles, wool.... can be very dangerous you know :gas:

not asked for tabs on youtube comments but have asked a couple of times on here for tabs or dots, both times they were easy songs and all i needed was the chords the rest just fell into place
my ears dont find chords to a song easy at all once i have the chords (or some of them) i can figure it out
cant beat a youtube clip if im having trouble with a rhythm or a full transcription even though i spend about 10 minutes writing the note under the dot :)

When I started out we had no internet and only cassettes or Records, I spent hours lifting needles and rewinding cassettes to earn covers , now I'm older and have kids and a busy life, if a tab or chord chart gets me halfway to figuring a song out quickly I'll take it. Yes most are incomplete or very wrong, but they can save time if you find a half decent one.

No shame in it, all that really matters as far as I'm concerned is that I play the line to my band mates, the audience and my liking. Of course others my see it differently.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1363703311' post='2016133']
What makes you think knitting is safe :blink:

Sharp needles, wool.... can be very dangerous you know :gas:
[/quote]

I noticed with my ex that a complicated pattern made her dangerously crochet-ty.

I'll get me shawl.............

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363690203' post='2015783']
OK, yes, it's true. I just didn't want to argue about it. OK then, to be quite clear:

[b]IF YOU CAN'T PLAY BY EAR, THEN YOU'RE A POOR EXCUSE FOR A BASS-PLAYER!![/b]

There, I've said it. Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day in the shed. *spends rest of day in shed*
[/quote]

Could you send me an ear plz?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1363717791' post='2016514']
When I started out we had no internet and only cassettes or Records, I spent hours lifting needles and rewinding cassettes to earn covers , now I'm older and have kids and a busy life, if a tab or chord chart gets me halfway to figuring a song out quickly I'll take it. Yes most are incomplete or very wrong, but they can save time if you find a half decent one.

No shame in it, all that really matters as far as I'm concerned is that I play the line to my band mates, the audience and my liking. Of course others my see it differently.
[/quote]

Exactly, but somebody doing a cover on YouTube is not a resource for tabs.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363719455' post='2016550']
Exactly, but somebody doing a cover on YouTube is not a resource for tabs.
[/quote]

It can be a useful resource for learning by example, but the really good players/teachers are few and far between among the vast ocean of rubbish sloshing around online... most of the bass covers are risible.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363722710' post='2016622']
It can be a useful resource for learning by example, but the really good players/teachers are few and far between among the vast ocean of rubbish sloshing around online... most of the bass covers are risible.
[/quote]

Yes. I very much have an attitude of "If you're going to do it, do it right". No half assed "There's a few mistakes in there, oh well :D". You're playing somebody else's tune, dude, play it right, note for note, or add your own thing to it and make it better, but there's no point in leaving mistakes in it. I did it once, and i heard the mistake that many times, that when i listened to the song afterwards, for about a month, i expected to hear the mistake in the actual song.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1363726130' post='2016712']
What is it about the guitar and bass that folk want to "play by numbers".

I've never yet seen a pianist number the keys 1-84 and write the key numbers down and call it music.

... or maybe I'm wrong?
[/quote]

Piano is a classical instrument, and as such, has a strong foundation on theory. If you want to play piano, you need to learn theory, and that's it really. Rock instruments, like electric guitar and bass aren't classical instruments, and have a strong foundation in ignorance of music theory. People were told for a long time (and still are) that a theoretical knowledge isn't that important when playing rock, which is the opposite from classical instruments. And not knowing a lot about theory, and your friends not knowing a lot about theory, you have to find some way to communicate with them musically. How? Numbering the frets. It's simple and effective, and a baby monkey riding backwards on a pig could use it.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363728597' post='2016796']
It's effective when you know nothing about music theory. You know what you need to know, without any special learning for it at all really. How is that not effective?
[/quote]
Because most of the tabs are wrong and, even if the notes are accurate, rarely convey any information about rhythm.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1363729337' post='2016813']
Because most of the tabs are wrong and, even if the notes are accurate, rarely convey any information about rhythm.
[/quote]

Very true. But the idea behind it is effective, the execution by many is flawed.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363723369' post='2016640']
Yes. I very much have an attitude of "If you're going to do it, do it right". No half assed "There's a few mistakes in there, oh well :D". You're playing somebody else's tune, dude, play it right, note for note, or add your own thing to it and make it better, but there's no point in leaving mistakes in it. I did it once, and i heard the mistake that many times, that when i listened to the song afterwards, for about a month, i expected to hear the mistake in the actual song.
[/quote]

Looks like I'm just going to have to accept that I'm not a proper bass player... However, I notice that some of those advocating only learning by ear are also those that say you don't have to play the tune as it is on the record, just play something close and it's good enough, the audience won't be able to tell anyway... So, are those people actually learning the tunes or not?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363726830' post='2016736']
Piano is a classical instrument, and as such, has a strong foundation on theory. If you want to play piano, you need to learn theory, and that's it really. Rock instruments, like electric guitar and bass aren't classical instruments, and have a strong foundation in ignorance of music theory. People were told for a long time (and still are) that a theoretical knowledge isn't that important when playing rock, which is the opposite from classical instruments. And not knowing a lot about theory, and your friends not knowing a lot about theory, you have to find some way to communicate with them musically. How? Numbering the frets. It's simple and effective, and a baby monkey riding backwards on a pig could use it.
[/quote]

Hmmm... Just wondering where drums comes into this. Not much tab available, as far as I know. If you want it transcribed (and it's very often necessary...), you plug in your ears and sharpen a pencil. Of course, playing it oneself after transcription is yet another phase, but tab is definitely not an option for drummers. Are we too musical..? Too 'classical'..? Just lucky..? No, we just learn to read drum scores, and that's it. No debate, really.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363726830' post='2016736']
[/quote]

I agree with the piano part but I don't agree that Rock is 'ignorant' of music theory. At all. I bet almost all of rock musicians know music theory, maybe not to the same level as classical players but enough to get them by. This in itself doesn't make them ignorant.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1363734254' post='2016904']
Hmmm... Just wondering where drums comes into this. Not much tab available, as far as I know. If you want it transcribed (and it's very often necessary...), you plug in your ears and sharpen a pencil. Of course, playing it oneself after transcription is yet another phase, but tab is definitely not an option for drummers. Are we too musical..? Too 'classical'..? Just lucky..? No, we just learn to read drum scores, and that's it. No debate, really.
[/quote]
Drum score? I remember my brother's drum teacher using something that looked like tab, using different letters to represent each drum and cymbal. Last year I used the drum section of GuitarPro to get the drums from a track onto a drum machine, it used numbers to represent each drum. It was really handy.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1363734821' post='2016917']
Drum score? I remember my brother's drum teacher using something that looked like tab, using different letters to represent each drum and cymbal. Last year I used the drum section of GuitarPro to get the drums from a track onto a drum machine, it used numbers to represent each drum. It was really handy.
[/quote]
[b] [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Hey man, can you send me the drum tabs of this?[/size][/font][/b]