Why become a member? ×

Another "which bass to buy" thread

KASH

Right, I fancy getting a (cheap) active bass. I usually play a Jazz, so I would like something quite different. I must admit I'm quite lost with so much stuff to choose from so any help much appreciated.

[b]Style of playing:[/b] mostly fingerstyle but some songs with pick. No slap/pop stuff.
[b]Genre:[/b] heavy rock/metal.
[b]Budget:[/b] max £250 - second hand
[b]Criteria:[/b] Active, 4 strings, must have a deep thunderous bottom end, and ideally have different/distinctive looks.

[b]More visually appealing options:[/b]
Schecter Stilleto (or another model? - the Chaos seems a bit 'too normal')
Traben - some are a bit cheesy but some youtube clips sound good & looks different
Kramer Disciple - specs look great on paper and looks cool
Dean (Edge model, but which one?)

[b]More visually boring options imo:[/b]
Ibanez GSR200 (yes, really - at least the youtube clips sound pretty good!..though it might feel really cheap) or SR300
Yamaha RBX374
SBMM SUB Ray4 - not crazy about typical stingray tone tbh, but heard some good stuff lately played with a stingray, so might as well give it a chance.

[b]Not very familiar with these, but seem to fit the criteria:[/b]
ESP LTD (no idea which model!?)
Cort (Artisan or Action?)
Warwick Rockbass (Streamer or Corvette?)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1363372026' post='2012056']
A Rockbass Corvette has so much bottom end you'll blow doors off.

Although what you really want is a P bass, you know you do :D
[/quote]

it's on my list actually ;)...just parted with one. but fancy trying something different for now...the P can wait

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1363373097' post='2012085']
Is there a Yamaha BB with that spec in your price range? They're great things.
[/quote]

.i know the BB414 at least is not active i don't think. and are ugly as f**k imo...and huuuuuuge., but to the PJ thing pretty well.

Distinctive looks, thunderous bottom end, actives, gotta be an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_thunderbird_proiv_vsb.htm?gclid=CNLW6fbI_7UCFcrHtAodn3cAzg"]http://www.thomann.d...CFcrHtAodn3cAzg[/url]

Edited by Lozz196

Westone Thunder I or IIA would be my choice. Huge bottom end.

Epi Thunderbird Pro probably looks cooler and are nice.

More money, but I play in a heavy rock band and my gigging bass is a SBMM SB-14. Nice thinner neck than a Ray.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1363379664' post='2012211']
Distinctive looks, thunderous bottom end, actives, gotta be an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_thunderbird_proiv_vsb.htm?gclid=CNLW6fbI_7UCFcrHtAodn3cAzg"]http://www.thomann.d...CFcrHtAodn3cAzg[/url]
[/quote]

I should have recomended that Lozz as I have one sitting in my lap at the moment :D Great price for that bass as well.

had a TBird before, though a normal one, the Pro looks sexy, but not really what i had in mind.

the vampyre is a bit out of my budget i'm afraid

the SG is not really an option

I know there are always loads of options available on gt and ebay, hence this thread...i've always been a passive fender basses type of guy so i wanted to experiment with other stuff.

Then I'd say get the RockBass Corvette, and do indeed get the active version in your case.
As said before: it's a beast - not too far removed from even the Bongo, the beasts' beast.
At the price, even new, I feel it's a steal. The only drawback I can find is that the body wood is relatively soft and thus more easily dented than the expensive ones.
It gave me a kick that straight out of the box it was almost perfectly tuned and well set up..

best,
bert

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1363427092' post='2012525']
I have schecter stiletto 5sring. Very metal.awesome bass
[/quote]

yeah, that's one in the top of my list, but 4 string version. which stiletto precisely? how does it play, etc?

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1363445490' post='2012833']
Then I'd say get the RockBass Corvette, and do indeed get the active version in your case.
As said before: it's a beast - not too far removed from even the Bongo, the beasts' beast.
At the price, even new, I feel it's a steal. The only drawback I can find is that the body wood is relatively soft and thus more easily dented than the expensive ones.
It gave me a kick that straight out of the box it was almost perfectly tuned and well set up..

best,
bert
[/quote]

that one's on the table as well, though i'm more inclined to get something cooler visually..

Trabens are monsters! I own a John Moyer 4 String Signature and it is an absolute beast! It has more bass than you'll ever need! It's insane however for me personally it doesn't cut through the mix clearly enough and the neck is very tiresome on the hands. Ultimately it's your choice, Traben's are very good basses and will suit what you are playing as will all of the basses you've mentioned, best thing to do is go and play them all!

i would recommend the ibanez roadster rd500 ive got one you get the stingray tone with the bonus of a neck pickup which is very powerful plus it has coil tap for all sorts of options and the output is very hefty
it says ibanez duncan pickups on mine and they are really punchy i owned a usa musicman sub and i prefer this bass
one for sale here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/189978-fsft-ibanez-rd500-for-5-string/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/189978-fsft-ibanez-rd500-for-5-string/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

i own a thunderbird pro i bought mine secondhand and it had pickup noise issues
i bought some seymour duncan ssb and had to do some dremel work to fit them
kept the original active circuit wired it all up last week sounded awesome
ordered some pickup rings in black aluminium to finish it off
set it all up yesterday awesome action plays great
today its just stopped working hardly any output i think mine is cursed!

There's been a few yamaha bb1100s in the for sale section for about that price. I've had mine years and they are bargins now. Really versatile active / passive switch nice neck and a really broad range of tones. Not the most flamboyant looking though!