Why become a member? ×

NPCD Phil Jones Content - now with review.

ezbass

So after considerable deliberation and investigation I pulled the trigger on a PB300, thus giving us, New Powered Cab Day! I've been using my LMll/Schroeder combination for some years now, and what a rig it is. But as a confirmed GASaholic ennui was always going to seep in, not helped by buying a Cub as a rehearsal/practice amp some time back. Then I joined a band (now my main band) where we're not overly loud and my old rig was barely on/ticking over. So the PB300 wormed its way into my psyche and planted its seed, resulting in......

[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/aae350462a6f42c4e61b543db319ac3b_zpsa956899b.jpg[/IMG]

Or for a more industrial look

[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/e9820883b6ec2142e6385696bda797d7_zps9e4d03bf.jpg[/IMG]

My concerns about it not being loud enough were allayed at the weekend when I compared my old rig at the settings I use live against just a PJB Suitcase (4x5, 180watts) where all seemed fine and dandy. Got the new beast home today and cripes it's loud! Great tone, but the response is a bit unforgiving of poor technique, so no more sloppy muting for me then (no bad thing). I'll get to use it in anger at next Friday's rehearsal, so that'll be the big test and I won't be putting my old rig up for sale until after then, but I can't see it not passing with flying colours. It's a shame I don't have the space or wherewithal to keep both, but that's life eh?

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Longmayyourun' timestamp='1363369900' post='2012015']
Nice. I've got a real soft spot for Phil Jones gear - I'd love to hear how you get on at rehearsal/gig volume.
[/quote]Well I matched it to my normal rig settings at home (much to the neighbourhood's disgust no doubt) and there was loads more left on tap, which of course I tried :D But of course this is not a fair test and the real baptism of fire will be next week. I'll post my findings after.

Edited by ezbass

No pre amp, just power. All of which means that you can drive it with a pre amp pedal. Hmm I wonder if you could just plug an active bass straight in and use the onboard EQ? From my perspective, one of the reasons for the purchase is the ability to angle the Cub and use it as a personal, on stage monitor.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1363373500' post='2012098']
No pre amp, just power. All of which means that you can drive it with a pre amp pedal. Hmm I wonder if you could just plug an active bass straight in and use the onboard EQ? From my perspective, one of the reasons for the purchase is the ability to angle the Cub and use it as a personal, on stage monitor.
[/quote]

I see, thanks!

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1363371559' post='2012041']
Well I matched it to my normal rig settings at home (much to the neighbourhood's disgust no doubt) and there was loads more left on tap, which of course I tried :D But of course this is not a fair test and the real baptism of fire will be next week. I'll post my findings after.
[/quote]

You can indeed just plug an active bass straight into a power amp. The active circuit is really just a pre amp. :)
I used to take just my bass down to jam nights & plug straight into the desk. No DI.

Oh, that is a very nice rig.

OK a little update on the new box.

I used it last night for the first time in anger at a full band rehearsal. Very, very impressed. Any concerns I had about the volume were very quickly dispelled. I had the 300's master at about 1/2 way up and that was more than enough to make itself well and truly felt and heard. Interestingly is that despite the connection between the Cub and the 300 being a line out, the master on the Cub works as a global output for both products, really handy for quick, on stage adjustments. Although I have a fair bit of EQ manipulation on the Cub as a stand alone as a practice tool, with the 300 I had the EQ flat to produce my 'normal' sound. And what a sound this combination produces! My Lakland 5 string was clear, punchy and articulate without any loss of low end right down to the low B. So I was very pleased, but then I plugged in my 5 string fretless. It has never sounded better, every detail of my vibrato was evident and, if I say so myself, very pleasing, I can see why Pino uses Phil Jones gear these days when using his fretless 'Ray with PSP. Everyone in the band, all of whom's opinon I value as they are seasoned players with 'good ears' were very impressed. So is there a downside? Yes, because of the super accurate reproduction there is no where to hide, if you have a lapse in technique, or make a mistake, it reproduces it will embarrassing accuracy. Of course this hopefully means that this rig will make me a better player :) I have also had a few emails between me and PJB asking a few questions. They have been super helpful and quick to reply, my last query was even answered by Phil Jones himself, really good customer service. So all in all a very very happy camper. Right time to list my old rid in the For Sale section.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread. I used to have a TC rig for gigs and a Flightcase for quiet rehearsals /small acousticy gigs. Preferred the PJB sound so took the plunge a few months ago. Sold the TC and bought a PB300,
What a revelation. Unbelievably loud for two smallish boxes, PJB sound but so much more of it! Plenty loud enough for most smaller gigs. Just DI for bigger ones, Two small and light boxes are so much easier to store, carry and transport than one big one!
I always use a SANSAMP to add drive and girth. Sounds like a mini SVT, plus that responsive PJB sound that just seems to sit in the mix so well. Couldn't be happier!

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1365614193' post='2041862']

Have you tried using your MXR DI Box as a preamp straight into the PJB300?

Was wondering if my Sansamp or even the lineout of a Markbass would be compatible?
[/quote]I've driven it direct from the active circuit in my bass. It'll also be possible to drive it from my M80 or any other active DI box. Line out should be possible too as this is how it works with the Cub.

• 3 weeks later...

OK a wee update. I took the beast out for its first gig last night and I'm happy to report that it sailed through with flying colours. Great full sound (I'm continually amazed how much bottom end comes out of this product, I even had to shave some bass off), great on stage monitoring and I only had the output at just over half, so no more worries there. And at the end of the night it was light as a feather for the load out. I am a happy camper :D

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1364030012' post='2020994']
So is there a downside? Yes, because of the super accurate reproduction there is no where to hide, if you have a lapse in technique, or make a mistake, it reproduces it will embarrassing accuracy. [/quote]

That's exactly what I found with my old PJ rig. Absolutely loved the tone from it, but it did highlight my sloppy playing! Now I just go for dull, thumping, fat bass tones, and hide in the background :lol:

Edited by tredders

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a total PJB convert. Used Trace, Peavey, Orange, Marshall in the past but nothing compares, Not tried Genz or Aguilar so can't comment.

My rig looks like this. 2 X suitcase each with a 4B. Currently splitting the signal using a stereo chorus pedal but looking for a good aby box so open to suggestions.

[attachment=134874:xmas party 2010 094.JPG]

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Tried my PB300 with a new Zoom B3 yesterday & was impressed. First time I've ever used a bass pedal so lots to explore.

I've gigged once with my Flightcase + PB300 & had plenty of volume to spare in a community centre hall. I think I'll keep my PJB stuff now, was unsure at first but the tone is so flexible.

Not to mention the easy lift.