Why become a member? ×

Balancing a setlist

SpaceChick

[quote name='gerryc' timestamp='1363783680' post='2017490']
Good luck today, hope all works out well. Have you told your band you are doing this audition? it may just be the kick up the arse they need.
[/quote]

I've told the drummer.

Only an hour until I need to leave...... Eeeeekkkkk!!

Fozzer - Thankyou, I know I still have a lot to learn and there are FAR FAR better bassists than me, but I work hard and I want to learn.

Regards setlist order. Pick an order and do couple of 'dress' rehearsals. ie play your songs in order as if it were a gig. You'll get a good feel as to whether songs sit well together.

Regards 12 bar blues. They're usually fairly tedious and the way to lift them is to build from start to finish. Start the song with a simple bass and gradually add in breaks until the final chorus where you (and the rest of the band) pull out all the stops. Although don't over-do it.

Welllll.....have I had an awesome day as a bassist or what!!!!

Had the audition, it was really funny, as I met the lead guitarist who I'd been speaking to on the phone.... Then the rhythm guitarist comes.... We'd played together very briefly before (he'd come and played with my other band for a few weeks). He said "I thought it might be you Debs, I mean how many Debs are there that are bassists locally" :lol:

Was fab to see him, and gave him a big hug.... Also knowing him put me at ease instantly!

So we played, I rocked it, got on brilliantly with the guys (drummer was away sadly, so we had a drum backing track which wasn't ideal), and basically had the BEST fun I've had as a bassist in AGES!

So, end of 2 hours, I'm packing up, they go out to talk, come back in and offer me the gig if I'd like it..... Would I like it? HELL YEAH!!

So I leave on a huge high, with a promise of the full set list being emailed to me..... So I've got a lot to work on :D. Next practice isn't until bank holiday Monday, so I have plenty of time to work on the basslines.

So I drive home, make tea, eat tea with hubby, we do the dishes, and then it was back out to my other band practice.

I get there (slightly late but I'd text the drummer, and in fairness I set up much quicker than anyone else) and there is an atmosphere.... The cold feet guitarist is there WITHOUT his kit, so I ask him where his stuff was and he said "I'm not playing tonight, I want to get a few things off my chest". So he says his piece, basically the he doesn't think we are ready and then ripped into our lead singer.... She cried! So I ripped into him telling him that it was his attitude that was halting our progress.

Lots of things were said, and so I asked him the golden question "Do you want to gig or not" he said "Not a the moment with the way we are playing" I asked everyone else, they wanted to gig..... Now bearing in mind with have 3 guitarists a decision was made..... We sacked the cold feet guitarist there and then... He left!

So, we calm down the singer who was threatening to walk, and then in walks 2 members (including the bassist) from the band we are doing the charity gig with. They listened to our set and were critical about the areas we knew (2 songs were are sloppy on the ending) but they were mostly very complimentary!

So, it looks like the charity gig IS going ahead but the date has been put back a few weeks (but due t the other band having a clash)

I told the band that I have joined another band (in he interest of being open and honest from the outset) but I have said I will stay with them for now.... After investing 8 months with them, I want to see them gig! And I want to gig with them!

So, I am now in TWO bands!!!

I know where my head and heart is....with the new band..... for starters the material is more challenging which will help my development, and equally the new band has a mean age 20 years younger than my old band, so for longevity it has better prospects!

I have said to the old band, that if I find it too much with 2 bands (gig clashes etc) I will stay until they find another bassist, but I'm going to give both a shot!

So people, watch this space..... I've got a lot of hard work ahead of me and I can't bloody wait :P

Oh don't worry, my new band is coming first!!!!!!

Their material is more challenging for me as a bassist and will help my development not halt it like the old bands set!

In fairness, I can seeing me doing the charity gigs with the old band and then bowing out once they've found a new bassist (although I know someone who will probably dep temporarily if I leave anyway)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1363821693' post='2018332']
That sounds like a blast , and it would appear you have knocked a bit of confidence into the first lot , well done
[/quote]

I don't know about that but they approved of my set order :P

I was playing their stuff tonight though, and realising that it wasn't a challenge for me..... Where as my audition this afternoon I really had basslines that stepped me up a gear.... And I bloody loved it :P

Congratulations!!

In regards to set list, I believe you start with a song that says "WE ARE HERE" and then end with a bang (hopefully not the PA :D ).

My Current band had the dreaded guitarists who at the last minute was bottling it saying we are not ready blah, blah, blah so I said if you don't do it now, you never will but if you do it, you will then be a member of an exclusive club of people that have performed in a band in front of a live audience. He did the gig and now he's completely addicted to it :D

Good luck

Looking atyour posts it seems the new band's set is quite different to the old ones. This can be good for developing different aspects of playing. I've really only been in 2 bands simultaneously on one occasion but it can be fun if they are different enough. What sort of stuff are you doing with the new lot?

Sweet, glad it all worked out for you, my advice, don't serve two masters, especially as you are starting out, get the gig with the old band out of the way, as I appreciate that it has probably become somewhat of mission for you to do that and thats a good place to then draw the line under it, the amount of time it has taken for them to gig, you may as well walk straight away after the gig and let them find another bass player, maybe be painful, but a clean break heals quicker.

You seem to have a very fair and positive attitude and that is great thing, so channel that to your new band as soon as possible I say, and you will be up and running, gigging regularly,your chops will improve exponentially and then its stardom! :D

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1363861823' post='2018459']
Looking atyour posts it seems the new band's set is quite different to the old ones. This can be good for developing different aspects of playing. I've really only been in 2 bands simultaneously on one occasion but it can be fun if they are different enough. What sort of stuff are you doing with the new lot?
[/quote]

Old lot - stuff like Sweet Home Chicago (and some other 12 bar blues), Dear Prudence, Knocking on Heavens door, another brick in the wall.

New lot - Thin Lizzy stuff (Rosalie, don't believe a word), judas priest, iron maiden, zz top.... Harder rock than I'd normally listen to but it is sooooo much fun to play!!

Thanks for all the congratulations!

I am still chuffed to bits today!

God I live being a bassist!! :D

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1363882955' post='2018907']
...New lot - Thin Lizzy stuff (Rosalie, don't believe a word), judas priest, iron maiden, zz top... harder rock than I'd normally listen to but it is sooooo much fun to play!!...
[/quote]

Hee hee, oh yes. Excellent! \m/ \m/ :D

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1363884517' post='2018936']
Balancing a set list? Hmmmm. I tend to sticky tape mine to my amp or the floor, not chance of it falling off or flying away, belt and braces :D
[/quote]

LOL!

Im also getting faster at this transposing by ear, only took me about 5 mins to get the structure of a Judas Priest song down..... Good job really, I have another 9 to do and learn before bank holiday Monday..... If I go quiet you know why :P