Why become a member? ×

Does Basschat influence the European s/h bass market?

xilddx

If I search a bass model in Google, I fairly often find old For Sale threads in the top results, that often give a sold price.

I wonder if BC influences the market prices somewhat, whether this is a good thing, not so good, or whatever.

I mean, Basschat is getting f***ing BIG :)

I certainly have a much better idea of bass values than before I joined basschat. I play a game where I guess the asking price of basses in the marketplace (or the eventual selling price on ebay) and usually I'm within £50 one way or another. I can also tell when a bass is a bargain or overpriced. If antiques roadshow ever want somebody to price secondhand japanese Fender Jazzes, I'm their man!

I think Basschat has definately influenced the amount of used basses for sale in shops - why would you part-exchange or sell on commission when you could sell yourself for free on Basschat and end up with more money ? Internet selling has also replaced free l ads at the back of guitar/bass magazines for selling basses , it seems .

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363118963' post='2008910']
I mean, Basschat is getting f***ing BIG :)
[/quote]

All that also means that this site is probably very well set up for Search Engine Optimisation. I'm not surprised, considering we are all constantly using all the essential keywords relevant to bass-playing and selling/buying in our threads, and the site is gathering a lot of external referrers from the like of Twitter and FB.

It must effect the market, I for one have got through loads of 2nd had gear on here and passed it back on, but I also think the site can create gas and cause people to upgrade and buy new, be hard to see who it hinders or helps from a marketing point of view

Google anything bass related and you'll find BassChat pretty high up on that list.
That's how I found BassChat a few years ago - everything I Googled ended up with a link to some bl**dy thing called BassChat - so I came, I saw, I stayed. :)

With over 1.9M posts, we are the biggest dedicated bass forum in Europe and I'm sure we're seen as a main 'reference point' for many bass related equipment buying and price setting decisions.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1363123637' post='2009009']
Google anything bass related and you'll find BassChat pretty high up on that list.
With over 1.9M posts, we are the biggest dedicated bass forum in Europe and I'm sure we're seen as a main 'reference point' for many bass related equipment buying and price setting decisions.
[/quote]
Yes, I'm thinking that too.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1363123637' post='2009009']
That's how I found BassChat a few years ago - everything I Googled ended up with a link to some bl**dy thing called BassChat - so I came, I saw, I stayed. :)
[/quote]
Exactly the same reason why I joined this forum. With my return to playing bass I kept looking at various things & all I realised I was doing was googling stuff and coming back here so after being a lurker I decided to log on & make the place that little bit more random.....And Goaty !

From what I've seen it's only going to effect the market in other countries when their currencies are weaker.

Currently it's good for Eurozone buyers to buy in the UK but people over there can't afford to sell their basses at the prices we have in the UK because they'll lose a lot of money.

Just look at the classifieds here - many instruments listed for sale from people in Europe are way more expensive than UK equivalent prices. I've seen a couple recently for sale at prices that are higher then brand new UK prices!

Firstly I love basschat ,
does it affect sales ,prices etc not sure but heres my spin.:-

I have been on here for a while , and have trough basschat upgraded all of my gear , i still check ebay and use it but the main important thing for me on basschat is the fairness of it all.
it really is the closeest thing to being in a democracy that i have been involved with.
i still also use bass related shops the gallery are awesoem and use them for set ups strings and also i will be getting a sei bass made at some piont soon.
Bass gear is another company i recently used and i still think small cumunity based interested sellers (rather than mail order) are a decent way of buying stuff,
i spent half a day at the bass gear shop felt like i was in a living room doing a tradw or sale, i bought a gorgeous pedulla penta buzz for a good fair price , so in this instant i doubt wether i would have sabed much more buying from a guy from basschat.

i know comission must be a killer but i respect the decent shops for providing a great service and would buy more often if i had the money from them , basschat is so fair that it makes perferct sense for it to be so big!

my only personal down side of bass chat is the gas it gives me .... but im happy to say that i am actually extremely happy with my gear now and just look!!!! (untill another sei or something nice comes along)
Regards
ziggy.