Why become a member? ×

Fender = boring and dull.

wateroftyne

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1363117597' post='2008872']
Do people frown when you turn up with a non-Fender? Really?!!
[/quote]

Not any more :)
I always find out what they want and expect before I pack the car. :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1363117597' post='2008872']
I just take along whatever tickles my whistle, which ok I haven't actually got a Fender but still, if I want to play the SR300 then that is what goes with me. And, I don't like to have favourites :)
[/quote]

I don't really have favourites, but I do know what equipment is best for the particular job in hand.
I'll happily tell people I'm playing for what is going to work best for the overall feel and sound, but if they decide not to take that onboard then I'll do the very best I can with what they want. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363193196' post='2009560']
That was my attitude years ago - not any more. Ended up getting involved in the civil war in Angola.
[/quote]

I hate it when that happens.
Just pop out to Coalville to record a track or two and before you know it, civil war breaks out in Market Bosworth and you've got blood and guts and bits between your teeth... ruins a perfectly pleasant afternoon... <_<

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363161436' post='2009289']
That's just bizarre! It's bad enough that bass players have chips on their shoulders about Fenders, but why on earth would, for example, a keyboard player or vocalist have a strong opinion about the bass you turn up with? Where does that attitude come from I wonder?

There are some strange people in this world... :unsure:
[/quote]

I've been asked a number of times (if not playing a Fender) why I'm not - it has almost always been guitarists, but very occassionally bass players - the latter have usually asked the question after admiring the bass sound! I think the problem is that other musicians are often unfamiliar with any other bass instruments but Fender, hence making the remark - however I would never dream of asking a (strat player for instance) why they didn't play, say a Gibson, as I would perceive it to be a loaded question which had a hint of criticism in it - plus it would probably be none of my bloody business lol!

To respond to Wateroftyne, I am certainly not a Fender hater, and at one time I was in the camp of not liking anything but Fender basses (and so I thought, bands who used them - then I realised Cream, Free, Yes and other bands used something different and I liked those bands as well). I was serious about the 63 P reissue in sonic blue - I was almost at the point of ordering one, but have held off for the time being.

I do worry that the current fad of Fender basses seemingly being used in most current pop music has a more annoying overtone - they are often mixed in a way that they are not very audible or articulate sounding - now that IS a problem for people who care to learn the instrument properly - it seems virtuoso bass players are not welcomed in the way they were in the 80s/90s when Jaco 'had changed the world for ever' for bass players. Let's hope it's not disappearing into the background again.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1363201228' post='2009771']
it seems virtuoso bass players are not welcomed in the way they were in the 80s/90s when Jaco 'had changed the world for ever' for bass players. Let's hope it's not disappearing into the background again.
[/quote]

Necessity is the mother of invention. And so is Frank Zappa, to a certain extent.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1363201228' post='2009771']I do worry that the current fad of Fender basses seemingly being used in most current pop music has a more annoying overtone - they are often mixed in a way that they are not very audible or articulate sounding...[/quote]

'Seemingly' is right. It [i]can [/i]be the case that a pop song has generic programmed synth or sampled bass on it to provide bottom end (and not necessarily playing a 'bass line' as such, either) and then the 'bass player' appears on stage or in a video miming with a generic 'real' bass - inevitably a Precision.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363251671' post='2010336']
'Seemingly' is right. It [i]can [/i]be the case that a pop song has generic programmed synth or sampled bass on it to provide bottom end (and not necessarily playing a 'bass line' as such, either) and then the 'bass player' appears on stage or in a video miming with a generic 'real' bass - inevitably a Precision.
[/quote]

So what you're saying is if you're playing a Precision you're miming? :P

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1363253858' post='2010371']
So what you're saying is if you're playing a Precision you're miming? :P
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFrNsSnk8GM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFrNsSnk8GM[/url]

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1363254923' post='2010402']
Even an air bass is a Precision.
[media]http://youtu.be/xpHb3uIkoiY[/media]
[/quote]

How cool that he does air bass (not air guitar) - absolutely hilarious!

If it's the bit on the building site where he does air bass in a caravan - in his Y fronts I think - and someone walks in - he's miming to Mr Palladino playing a Stingray or something similar (not a Precision) - whatever - it's a whacking great slap line with chorus (totally 80s!!!).

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363248792' post='2010294']
Necessity is the mother of invention. And so is Frank Zappa, to a certain extent.
[/quote]

Well one of them, at least :D there were about 15 of them when I saw them...................

Edited by drTStingray

That was my attitude years ago - not any more. Ended up getting involved in the civil war in Angola.
[/quote]

Me too ! I was only eight years old , but my time as a child mercenary fighting against the MPLA is amongst my happiest and most treasured memories . Sounds of the Seventies ? For me it is the rattle of an AK-47 and the whoosh of a rocket - propelled grenade . Those were the days !

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1362948055' post='2006655']
It's quite a departure from their usual models, isn't it? It reminds me a little of one of these (Washburn Taurus):

[/quote]

I have this! In fact, it was my first ever bass. My second bass was a Fender Jazz so I can give a brief rundown on it. I might even do a detailed review in the future.

The Washburn is a lovely bass, I mean look at it. As much as I love the large, sexy, offset body of the Jazz, this thing completely blows it out of the water in my opinion in terms of sex-appeal!

It sounds a bit like a Jazz, which is to be expected. It had a little more low-end however, it's body comprised of mostly mahogany compared to my Fender's ash body. You can get tons of sounds from it but you don't get the same punchy attack that you can muster from a Jazz.

In terms of playability, it doesn't compare to a Jazz in my opinion. It depends what you prefer, but it has a much thicker neck than it's Fender counterpart.

I hope that helps.

Schecter's Stilletto series is similar too. Does anyone have any experience with them?

The bit that gets me is "valued by Fender at $28000"....eeeeekkk

Justify that one?.. I know it's a custom build and I know AAF are relatively famous for but seriously

So it's this or an Arsenal of Foderas

Can I just say

The overall bass really doesn't sit with me as being aesthetically pleasing... But the craftsmanship looks amazing.

[/quote]
[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363267603' post='2010694']
Me too ! I was only eight years old , but my time as a child mercenary fighting against the MPLA is amongst my happiest and most treasured memories . Sounds of the Seventies ? For me it is the rattle of an AK-47 and the whoosh of a rocket - propelled grenade . Those were the days !
[/quote]

It occurred to me last night as I lay in bed that you might actually not be joking about having been involved in the war in Angola - I remembered all that business about the British mecenaries ect . - and so my apologies for making light of it if you were indeed part of that whole sorry episode . Funnily enough , it's a part of the World and a period of history I am very interested in , so I should have known better .

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1363364717' post='2011920']
I am actually translating a piece about Angola at the moment. Well, it has Angola in it. But I don't own a Fender.
[/quote]

A big part of my post-graduate research was about the similarities between the Portugese experience in Africa and the America's involvement in Vietnam , so I've got links to both Angola and Fender in there somewhere !