Why become a member? ×

What do you think?

geoffbyrne

I saw an MIM Fender Precision Something (it's the one with 2 Jazz pickups) 5er in my local Crack Converters. It's been dropped & the headstock split. The repair is a bit of a bodge, but the rest of the bass is almost as-new.

At this price do you think it's worth having & getting the headstock redone by a proper luthier?

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

A fair few mex p bass and jazzes seem to get around the £300 mark at the mo on ebay. Don't think I would, unless I felt that I could do a decent repair myself and/or spray the headstock to match the body.

Does it play well?

Is the price negotiable?

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1362745534' post='2004105']It's been dropped & the headstock split. The repair is a bit of a bodge, but the reat of the bass is almost as-new.[/quote]

Can you be sure that's the only damage from the drop?
It looks like that crack goes all the way to the nut in that pic?? Assuming that's the case, there's going to be a fair bit of tension on that (B??) head, I'm fairly confident on my fixing abilities but I'd be doing a belt & braces job on a fix like that. The discolouring of the wood around it is a minor consideration in comparison.
Given the post about recent prices I'd either walk away or want a substantial knock down in price.

The sliver on the left hand side has been broken completely off & it misses the nut completely to the left. The repair is a real bodged job involving either dowels or screws - the white stuff seems to be something like polyfilla - I reckon it'd need taken apart & re-done.

The rest of the bass looks OK on a quick inspection - quite nice, really - Candy Apple red.

The action is high, but that's fixable. Strings look really rough - must be Rotos!

I'm not convinced that's a good price - £200 would be about right IMHO.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

I'd want to be confident that it could be repaired and that I could achieve a sale price taking account the repair cost.

I'd be pricing it to buy with all that in mind. Maybe £200 is about right so you can afford to do a proper job on it.

Oh, I would set it up properly as well before making an offer.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1362770608' post='2004677']
[b]what's that on the right hand side of the picture??[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Might be better...[/font][/b]
[/quote]

That bass has superlight strings on it - it'll sound funny. Oops i was looking at the one on the left.

Edited by Mudpup

Personally, I'd dodge this at all costs. If its not something now, something will creep up later. I wouldn't be surprised if the tension finally takes the repair off.

For the price, as mentioned. You could get something just as good of eBay or just save that little more and buy it new?

All the best and don't forget to try before you buy,

BSB