Why become a member? ×

Deftones' new album

xilddx

f***ing hell. It's bloody good isn't it!!

There are some monster numbers on there and Chino has never sounded better. Nick Razkczlozzinzczuncz who produced the last two Rush albums is in the chair. And I have to say the production is very nice indeed! It's lovely hearing an album you love for the first time.

Having a delightful music hour with Deftones and a bottle of Portuguese oesophagus polish right now :D

Let's spare thought for Chi Dai Cheng.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1362693600' post='2003610']
Oooh, will go buy it now.... :)
[/quote]
Yeah man! I just bought it about an hour ago, banged on the headphones and got on with the washing up and the cooking. It f***ing fantastic, and a real grower I reckon.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1362693318' post='2003600']
I might give it a spin soon. I liked Adrenaline and Around the Fur, White Pony really didnt grab me though....
[/quote]

+1

Diamond Eyes is also absolutely cracking. I haven't heard the new one yet but I've heard nothing but good things.

Helluva good album! :D[size=4] I've had it since it came out last November and I seem to find something new I like about it on every listen. Graphic Nature is a really stand out track to me, I really like Goon Squad too - that track reminds me of what I used to really like about Deftones back in the day. [/size]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1362700197' post='2003737']
As someone who has never knowingly heard a song by the Deftones which album would you recommend I check out?
[/quote]
This one, if you don't like this, you won't like the Deftones. The vid I just posted is a fair representation of the album mate.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1362698452' post='2003713']
Always got time for Deftones. Ill give this latest one a listen very soon.

I think the nu-metal tag is unfair...they just got caught in that period of music but always stood out as a very progressive, melodic rock band.
[/quote]

I fully agree i just meant the era. 'Grunge' what the hell was that? other than a time period. lol

i dont really throw words like this around a lot but Deftones are epic :-)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1362693957' post='2003621']
+1

Diamond Eyes is also absolutely cracking. I haven't heard the new one yet but I've heard nothing but good things.
[/quote]

Same here, I need to get it ASAP

I went to see them live in Manchester a couple of weeks ago... SO HEAVY!!!

I like the way that they really change and evolve with each album they put out. Something that not too many bands acheive! Sure they have several qualities that are consistent, Chinos voice, Stefs riffs(!) and just that huge huge sound!

Abe's gotta be one of the most underrated metal drummers around, so heavy. But not about blast beats and double-kick; it's all about the groove with him.

White Pony's still my favourite though I really enjoyed Saturday Night Wrist. WP holds many many memories for me when I was growing up as a teenager and the album really spoke to me at that point in my life.

Is Chi still with us?

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1362732579' post='2003864']
I like the way that they really change and evolve with each album they put out. Something that not too many bands acheive! Sure they have several qualities that are consistent, Chinos voice, Stefs riffs(!) and just that huge huge sound!

Abe's gotta be one of the most underrated metal drummers around, so heavy. But not about blast beats and double-kick; it's all about the groove with him.

White Pony's still my favourite though I really enjoyed Saturday Night Wrist. WP holds many many memories for me when I was growing up as a teenager and the album really spoke to me at that point in my life.

Is Chi still with us?

Truckstop
[/quote]
Chi is still with us.

Abe is one of my favourite drummers. Subtle but he has his own style.

Exactly.

They have a real organic natural sound which is achieved through clever layering and good production.

I hate that the norm is to heavily over-produce everything in metal these days. All those complex riffs and drum parts; they all get engineered to f*** to make them sound perfect, when in real life a lot of the charm of metal music is the tiny inconsistencies from the musicians that give the music a touch of individuality.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1362733422' post='2003881']
I hate that the norm is to heavily over-produce everything in metal these days.
[/quote]

Yeh it's very frustrating. I had a band come in for a demo a year or two back, and they wanted me to quantise everything. i don't just mean the drums, they were on about layering guitars, and then quantising them so they fit exactly together. What's the point in that?!? Just learn how to play it well FFS!

My girlfriend listens to a lot of the "djent" genre (I think that's what it's called) and I do like a lot of the music, but unfortunately every band sounds the same because of this over-production.