Why become a member? ×

I dont like P basses - P bass customisation thread.

Dread Bass

Some of you may have seen my thread about being drawn to P basses even though i used to dislike them. This will never be my main bass but it should be a bit of fun.

I have ordered a Westfield P bass in a fetching metallic red http://www.stagebeat.com/Westfield-B1000-Bass-Guitar-Metallic-Red-015411-144048

I am planning a few customisations from mainly an aesthetic point of view.

I have ordered:

-Black bridge
-Black machine heads.
-Black stick on blocks ala Geddys Jazz.
-Black control knobs.

I am planning to order:
an all black scratch plate. It comes with a B/W/B and i want to wait to see how it looks.
A Wizard pickup.

In the long run i like the idea of fitting a jazz neck but that will be further down the line. I would also like a matching headstock in red.

I want a classic p bass sound any other pickup recommendations?

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1362316168' post='1998235']
Cool i will check out the SDs
[/quote]

I've got one fitted to my Custom P - it's got 'that' sound, and then some. :)

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/pbass/passive/spb1_vintage_fo/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/pbass/passive/spb1_vintage_fo/[/url]

Guest teamcoy

I have the Nordstrand NP4s fitted to my Chrome Red/Maple P, actually looks not a kick in the teeth off yours.

The Nordy is awesome, switched from the Fender US pickup to it and it just sounds so much better.

One of my bandmates has a 75P and the nordy sounds like a fuller version of that stock pickup.

I know what you are saying Billy and usually i would be following the route you have suggested. However. This is not going to be a main gigging bass for me any time soon. i am buying it as an experiment. I also really enjoy modding basses and i have a week off. its a bit of a project and that has its merit. The upgrades have cost me less than £40 thus far so i am not breaking the bank.

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1362329935' post='1998453']
I know what you are saying Billy and usually i would be following the route you have suggested. However. This is not going to be a main gigging bass for me any time soon. i am buying it as an experiment. I also really enjoy modding basses and i have a week off. its a bit of a project and that has its merit. The upgrades have cost me less than £40 thus far so i am not breaking the bank.
[/quote]

Coolio. FWIW, I think this is a great looking P for the money

I'm no fan of the 'P' either. I've really tried to get on with them, but just can't. I built a P a couple of years ago but it's undergone a few changes since then. Rerouted for a MM humbucker near the bridge to get a bit more top out of it..... then rerouted (again) to fit a Jazz neck pickup. And put a Jazz neck on it.

I quite like the body though... With the Jazz neck and different pickup configurations it's a great sounding and great playing bass. Not really a P anymore though.

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1362337019' post='1998598']
You may find that you're actually pleasently surprised by the Westfield's stock pick-ups. I had one a couple of years back and it sounded very P like.
[/quote]

I've just the other week bought one of these Westfield B-1000's from Alyctes on here as a project bass... was going to upgrade the pickup but in my opinion it matches up very well with the DeMarzio in my Fender P. I think I actually prefer the overall tone of the Westfield! Bought it for a music video I've got soon, so I've put on some massive Wilkinson tuners, black Geddy-style inlays and committed the ultimate crime of adding a 70's Fender logo. The black blocks work really well on mine, although I think one or two might be a bit wonky... Looks amazing for what I paid for it all though, and I've used it for a couple of gigs already with no problems whatsoever :yarr:

[attachment=129048:IMG_0061.JPG]

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1362345716' post='1998793']
I got this pickup, and it sounds amazing [url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-P-Bass-Pickups-p/b101v.htm"]http://www.axesrus.c...ups-p/b101v.htm[/url]
[/quote]

+1 to that VERY nice sound.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1362366127' post='1999029']
Westfield's are great in the house..... but you might find the pick up lacks volume when the band kicks in.
PLease, someone tell me I am wrong!
[/quote]

The one in mine seems every bit as loud as the DeMarzio model P in my Fender, completely different tone though.. that said will discover it's true colours when the strings on the Westfield have worn in properly, it's got a lovely punk growl at the moment but I'm aware this might be mostly new string 'zing' [size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Didn't Westfield put slightly different pickups in the B-1000 at one point? I seem to remember the pickups having something written on them in gold, a logo or something similar to the SD Basslines series when I first noticed them about four years back..? You can faintly see it in this pic from their website [/size][size=4]http://www.westfieldguitar.co.uk/westfield/hires/B1000%20Metallic.jpg[/size]

I once bought some machine heads like this:
, they turned up 2 a side, it's easy enough to take them apart and make them 4 a side
A +1 for the Westfield's own pickup, they are good, I always find that the studio is where having quality pickups really shows, and I haven't tried recoding with a Westfield.