Why become a member? ×

Practice

Roger2611

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362313223' post='1998171']
I'd rather just write and play.
[/quote]

Very much this.

I think for most of us that also write, this is the thing that unconsciously pushes our playing forward. I reckon that I come up with something at least once a month that I have to work on in order to be able to play it properly.

Because my work and music times are flexible, sometimes I'll be playing nearly all day, other times I won't even pick up an instrument from one gig or band practice to the next. I play when and because I want to.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362313223' post='1998171']
I'm nearly 50 now, I'd rather just write and play.
[/quote]

I'm 27 and I'd rather just write and play :)

There's only 2 reasons why I might practice: if i've come up with an idea that I have trouble playing or I'm going to record something, just because I have little patience when it comes to sitting around in studios and I don't want to be doing loads of takes.

Edited by thumbo

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1362319419' post='1998292']
You should keep at it until you get it right, better still, until you can't get it wrong.
[/quote]

Well said sir! There's a big difference between being able to nail something and being unable to screw it up!

If a week goes by and I haven't practised for more than a couple of hours I pretty much feel like crap by the Monday after! I would personally love to spend 4 hours a day working on my instrument for a good year or two but don't have the circumstances (little people do I suppose) ahh c'est la vie!

Edited by Ashwood1985

Since I posted in this thread I aint touched my bass to play it! (though I did pose with a tan waistcoat, does that count.)
Though i have been sorry feeling for myself quite a bit since i auditioned and just cant get back into the swing of things.
This thread must be cursed.

[quote name='WhoNeedsYou' timestamp='1362320618' post='1998303']
...have been sorry feeling for myself quite a bit since i auditioned and just cant get back into the swing of things.
[/quote]

Arrange another audition soon, then you'll [i]have [/i]to play!

I practice about 1.30 - 2 hours a day. This consists of finger exercises, sight reading (Some thing I'm focusing on right now) and composing but I class all of that as my practice routine.

Oh and I'm almost 19, if that matters :P

:)

Interesting, I've never added up my practicing schedule really. I do 1 3 hour band practice a week, 5 and a half hours a week playing in college and then anywhere between 2-3 hours everyday throughout the day. I spend at least 1 hour of solo practice doing scales and arpeggios and general theory. I'm 19 by the way and unemployed so I have plenty of time :)

I practice all the time, my bass is in the living room right next to where I sit, so I pick up the bass all the time. At the moment I'm learning a few different songs so once I get the riff down I will pick my bass up every time I pass, play the riff & any changes I'm struggling with until it becomes second nature.
I'm not a gifted bass player by any stretch of imagination but I do make up for my lack of skills by working hard.

I love playing my bass & don't like watching TV so all I need to do is find something to do when the mrs is watching TV, I've just got a Korg Pandora so now I'm going to be playing a hell of a lot more nowadays.....which I'm pretty giddy about.

Well, I am 42.

In my teen years I studied Clasical Guitar up to and incl grade 8, and same with drums.

So that all took up a lot of time, at home, school, and a Sat am music school.

Then I spent 15 years with office jobs, and would practice to learn songs for bands. I also went through a sustained period of teaching myself to play bass as a proper bassist, and also lead guitar properly (developing from my classical training).

4 years ago music became my career, as a gigging musician (drums, bass, guitar) and full time private teacher of the same.

I'd love to say I practice now, as I need to work on certain areas and we never stop learning. However, when I'm not working I like to other things.

I think if I was able to focus on a single instrument I would, but I have to keep 3 balls in the air. So, I only practice to learn songs, and I am able to do this really quickly so I don't spend much time at all.

But, I'm gonna set some goals to change this.