Why become a member? ×

Marketplace Subscriptions

Hamster

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1363045122' post='2007666']
I can see new people looking at the fees, comparing them to eBay, and deciding not to take a punt on the forum. It'll be a real shame if that happens.
[/quote]

I see where you're coming from ( :rolleyes: ), and I hear what you're saying ( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ), but I'm struggling to see how I'll lose sleep over it.

If the consequence is that a small number of people who only ever wanted to use Basschat as a cheap alternative to eBay decide to stick with eBay, that's their problem.

Now, on to more important matters. Forget lefties, what we really need round here is a special For Sale thread which focuses on middle-aged shaven-headed bass players ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1363080722' post='2007906']
If the consequence is that a small number of people who only ever wanted to use Basschat as a cheap alternative to eBay decide to stick with eBay, that's their problem.
[/quote]

Yes. But a lot of people came for the marketplace and stayed for everything else (the epic thread discussing all these changes was littered with people saying that they'd signed up to sell something and stuck around). I'm not sure that simply dismissing the potential loss of new members as "not our problem" is the wisest move.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1363080722' post='2007906']
...what we really need round here is a special For Sale thread which focuses on middle-aged shaven-headed bass players...
[/quote]

I thought they all did..? :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1363087013' post='2008073']
Yes. But a lot of people came for the marketplace and stayed for everything else (the epic thread discussing all these changes was littered with people saying that they'd signed up to sell something and stuck around). I'm not sure that simply dismissing the potential loss of new members as "not our problem" is the wisest move.
[/quote]

Talkbass had the same discussions when they introduced their payment scheme, albeit with no 'one off' or 'free' options. It's worked very well, and seems to be working here, too. We're keeping an eye on it, and can change the prices/options in the future if we need to. We may find, as TB did, that it actually enhances the community and makes the site safer and a better selling environment.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1363087865' post='2008103']
Talkbass had the same discussions when they introduced their payment scheme, albeit with no 'one off' or 'free' options. It's worked very well, and seems to be working here, too. We're keeping an eye on it, and can change the prices/options in the future if we need to. We may find, as TB did, that it actually enhances the community and makes the site safer and a better selling environment.
[/quote]

Good stuff :) If you're aware of it and keeping an eye on things then there's not much else you can do B)

Hope it all works out. Now someone buy my freakin' memory man... :gas:

I'm a bit lost here, because I'm dim.
It appears I can't look at all of the classifieds. That is presumably because I haven't paid a subscription as yet, only noticing this today.
So, if I was to advertise a bass for sale and pay my £7, does that mean non-subscribers won't see my ad?
The same question applies if I pay my £20 subscription, can none subscribers see my ad?
Like I said, I am dim and will almost certainly have missed the blindingly obvious.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1363097918' post='2008401']
I'm a bit lost here, because I'm dim.
It appears I can't look at all of the classifieds. That is presumably because I haven't paid a subscription as yet, only noticing this today.
So, if I was to advertise a bass for sale and pay my £7, does that mean non-subscribers won't see my ad?
The same question applies if I pay my £20 subscription, can none subscribers see my ad?
Like I said, I am dim and will almost certainly have missed the blindingly obvious.
[/quote]

Everyone should be able to see the classifieds and post replies to threads as normal... is this not the case for your profile?

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1363098038' post='2008403']
Everyone should be able to see the classifieds and post replies to threads as normal... is this not the case for your profile?
[/quote]

I asked iCastle about this very point and apparently it's a bug - an ad that is posted but not paid for ends up in limbo but still activates a notification before it's automatically deleted. No-one gets to see it, whether subscribed or not.

All paid-for ads can be seen by everyone whether subscribed or not.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363098248' post='2008409']
I asked iCastle about this very point and apparently it's a bug - an ad that is posted but not paid for ends up in limbo and still activates a notification before it's automatically deleted.
[/quote]

Ah I see, if you subscribe to the sales forum that might happen... it's on our list of fixes for tomorrow. I didn't realise people subscribed for notifications every time a thread is posted.. You gear whores, you ;)

Can you confirm that you can access the marketplace forums, though, Karlfer?

Cheers

When I went to look at both the basses for sale and amps for sale, there were ads there for items that did not appear when in the sub forums. I clicked on one in the main sub forum page, that was showing to be the top item, and got a you do not have permission notice.
I don't ask for notifications of any kind, I prefer the surprise :P
I can access for example the basses for sale. When I went in 15 minutes ago, the most recent ad showing was something like a 67 jazz, yet when I opened the sub forum up, the Dolphin was the top item, the jazz nowhere to be seen. I went back to the sub forum main page, the jazz was still showing as top item. I clicked it and it said " you don't have permission"
Same thing with amps and cabs, it was something like "Mark Bass, Marco 111", again no permission.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1363098380' post='2008414']
I didn't realise people subscribed for notifications every time a thread is posted.. You gear whores, you ;)
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]It's not just gear - we're [i]everything [/i]whores mate, we're subscribed up for [i]all [/i]notifications about [/size][size=4][i]everything! :lol:[/i][/size]
[size=4]The official BC term for this is [/size][i]Whoreclown.[/i]

Edited by discreet

OK I think I know what you're saying. What you're seeing is a relic link to a post that was abandoned. We're working on getting these to disappear along with the threads but not quite there yet. Currently the thread itself is deleted though hence the 'no permission' notice - the thread is gone.

Thanks for the heads up, this will be addressed tomorrow :)

Cheers

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1363098479' post='2008419']
When I went to look at both the basses for sale and amps for sale, there were ads there for items that did not appear when in the sub forums. I clicked on one in the main sub forum page, that was showing to be the top item, and got a you do not have permission notice.
[/quote]

That's another way it happens. I get the 'no permission' notice from clicking on stuff in the notification box top right, but it's the same thing, I think.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363098556' post='2008422']
[/size]
It's not just gear - we're [i]everything [/i]whores mate, we're subscribed up for [i]all [/i]notifications about [i]everything! :lol:[/i]
The official BC term for this is [i]Whoreclown.[/i]
[/quote]

I don't think my inbox could handle it (and that's NOT a euphemism)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1363098992' post='2008437']
Same just happened again, top item in amps, "feeler for sale or trade" started by fettsman.
[/quote]

OK I can see the thread - so what happens if you click the notification, it says 'no permission'?

Does it work if you manually visit the forum and click the thread?

I think I can explain this glitch.
First up though, you [b]don't[/b] have to pay to view ads. :)

The rough chain of events looks like this:

1) User starts writing an ad.
2) User hits the payment screen.
3) The ad is temporarily 'stored' (invisibly) to the forum they were trying to post their ad to.

At this point one of two things can happen:

4) The user pays the fee and the ad becomes visible.
5) The user abandons the ad and it is automatically deleted.

What appears to be happening here is the notification software that sends out the e-mails is kicking in between 3) and 4).
This means that abandoned ads as well as finished ads are being sent out.

That's why you get an 'not authorised to view' message - the ad just isn't there to view. :)

Ups! I just found about this the hard way, i tried to make a sales topic and a screen came up asking for donations. I didn't knew about this so i aborted the process.
I think is a fair rule, i'll be making a donation shortly, just need to add a new credit card to my paypal account.

To the Admins, i'm sorry for that post, i was unaware of the changes.

Cheers

I'll subscribe next time I want to sell an expensive bass, no doubt. It's fair enough, charging folk to advertise stuff. I can't think how else Basschat would generate the money that it needs to.

It's a shame that this has been necessary. I imagine that the marketplace has had it's prime time now. I already notice a difference.