Why become a member? ×

Making a living by playing bass

Gamble

I'm looking for a career change, and amongst other ideas I'm having, playing bass (tutoring/sessions/gigs/etc) might actually be an option. I'm not a really great player so I'm expecting to spend some time learning and practicing hard before any money can be made, but in the mean time I was just wondering if anyone on here has much experience with paying the bills via their instrument (oo-er!).

Any hints, advice, cautionary tales are all welcome, I'm well aware that if it was easy then everyone on here would be doing it but I'm keen to hear from people who have actually played bass for a living before.

Cheers guys!

Matt

Edited by Gamble

[quote name='Gamble' post='205148' date='May 23 2008, 06:06 PM']I'm looking for a career change, and amongst other ideas I'm having, playing bass (tutoring/sessions/gigs/etc) might actually be an option. I'm not a really great player so I'm expecting to spend some time learning and practicing hard before any money can be made, but in the mean time I was just wondering if anyone on here has much experience with paying the bills via their instrument (oo-er!).

Any hints, advice, cautionary tales are all welcome, I'm well aware that if it was easy then everyone on here would be doing it but I'm keen to hear from people who have actually played bass for a living before.

Cheers guys!

Matt[/quote]

Bump, because although I've lost thousands playing bass and therefore have nothing useful to say on the subject, I know there are a handful of professionals here...

i have been self employed full time as a musician for about three and a half years now.
i teach as well as playing in various bands. to widen my business i also teach guitar, do a bit of MD'ing, and do wedding and party style discos too.
If you are aiming to do this full time, my advice is to hook up with a school or two, otherwise you will only be working evenings, and if your other half is employed externally you'll be literally 'ships that pass in the night'!
My wife and I are both self employed, which can create certain tensions, we aren't struggling, but it can get quite tough at times.
You really have to LOVE playing to make it work!
I'm fortunate to love basses, guitars, and all the assorted cr*p that goes with it, so I believe I am proof of the saying that if you find a job you love - you'll never work a day in your life!
I hope this helps
feel free to PM me if you have any more questions mate!

I've been a pro bass player (with a brief 2 jobs period) since leaving college in '91 and had already been supplementing my grant (remember them) by gigging in a cabaret band in the clubs in't North before leaving college. (I had been working as a semi pro from age 12 though)
I have always had a practical and commercial outlook about earning a living, and being a father of 3 with a mortgage and being (by choice) the only breadwinner until Sept last (my 5 year old started school) I have had to be.
You need to find yourself a regular paying gig, as Crez said ideal would be a function band on the gigging circuit, it's the most remunerative.
If you want a good income you need do a few things.
Sight Read anything (not absolutely necessary though I can read but I'm not a great sight reader)
Play any style very competently
Have utter confidence in your abilities and never blag when you think your limits might be reached.
Be professional, on time, reliable, respond to calls, dress smart, be helpful, friendly.
Live in or around London, I'm not saying there is no work elsewhere, but if you get good you will hit a ceiling anywhere else in the country (there are plenty of exceptions to this, I have a tendency to always want to trade up) I am speaking from experience I have lived in the south west, the Midlands, Manchester, Liverpool and now I'm within striking distance of London, and I network as a London musician, I work mostly nationally and frequently worldwide. (hence moving to near Heathrow)

I have usually supplemented my income with teaching, not because I had to but because there isn't much to do in the early part of the week and I really enjoy it so I've had a few teaching jobs and still do private lessons

Thats pretty much the world of the pro, paid to play.

If you want to earn really serious money you need to earn while you're asleep. the only way to do that is by selling published copyrighted work, getting radio play and album sales all over the world from which you get a payment (royalties or mechanicals)
I am involved in one or two projects that bring me nothing now but might in the future, I am able to do this as I can (for the first time) now say no to paid gigs in favour of committing to a project, as my wife runs her own music education business,and I can concentrate on projects with a long term goal.
In doing this I am fostering relationships with mangement people and producers and playing the original music gig scene in London, when and if you get a chance to record it can lead to spin off work in studios. I have to tell you though you have to be very highly regarded, quick and very confident/capable to cut it in that environment. It has to be done NOW cos it's costing them a fortune, you need an unflappable manner and the ability to convince people that what you give them in terms of bass parts is the f***in' best they will get. Some producers will like you, some won't. You have to forge on regardless.

I realise the above is quite rambling and is mostly example but it just represents my experiences. I am more than happy to be approached by PM with specific questions.

Edited by jakesbass

This article by George Webley is pretty much the advice given by jakesbass. But it's still insightful:

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct98/articles/sessionmusic.html"]http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct98/arti...ssionmusic.html[/url]

I'm no pro myself (I'm currently studying, and get plenty of unpaid work within the college), but I think flexibility is pretty important.

Just had another thought to add to my earlier post, seeing as there has been a discussion here about the merits of Jazz, the single biggest contributary factor to my ability play in any style, and therefore make a living, is being able to read and interpret chord charts, (make music from sketches) I have learned this skill through playing standards 90% of which was done and still is (eg gig tonight in a restaurant in High Holborn) playing Jazz.

[quote name='The Funk' post='205534' date='May 24 2008, 02:01 PM']Hijack: which restaurant? May pop in for some din-dins.[/quote]
Shanghai Blues, very very nice Chinese food playing from about 8-11.30
really superb piano player on too, Mike Gorman. He plays in Jim Mullens organ trio amongst others.

I currently make half a living, but I get free childcare too...but basically what Jake says. I would also stress that learning to "play" jazz is the most useful skill. Its about feel, good sound, playing with different musicians all the time, and playing the part required (rather than how Entwistle or Flea or Jaco would do it). Those are transferable skills that all musicians respect and recognise. You don't have to be the best, but you do have to get the job done well, whatever the setting.

I've met loads of players who are only interested in one style of music, and have never tried or listened to anything else. I could never work with that mindset.

Above all be honest with yourself - have you got the interest? If you want to drive a nice car....think carefully.

BB

[quote name='chris_b' post='205613' date='May 24 2008, 05:06 PM']....you also need a partner who doesn't mind paying ALL the bills![/quote]
I'm pretty sure you're joking but just in case you're not, I have fed and clothed and housed and holidayed etc etc a wife and three kids solely on my music income for 12 years. And I have many colleagues that have done the same.

Are you pro Chris?

Edited by jakesbass

I'm not a 'Pro' musician but I do know musicians (not just bassists) that make a living from playing and I have to say that at times several of them live hand to mouth and I take my hat off to any musician who's sole income (aside from royalties off side projects) is playing / recording who also manages to maintain a family life. One musician in particular that I know has toured with name artists and appeared on numerous TV shows but hasn't had a home in 25 years and has a string of broken relationships! Of the others none of them would profess to being financially comfortable :huh: ... though all of them still love playing and performing.

One thing to consider is your health. There isn't any sickness scheme if you break a finger or come down with some lurggy and can't earn :) It isn't all doom and gloom but there are plenty of broken dreams along the way.

Learn to sight read....
A big +....
This will open doors to show's / Turn's / Session's etc.
This can bring in a good annual income.
And also useful for depping..
[Some Function Bands Even have Pad's]
If they have not...
The second thing to do is get your ear's in shape..
By this i mean good busking skill's...
or at least know plenty of tune's.
Either way , if you are good at one or other [pref both]
You will get the call's....In theory :)

Networking skill's also a plus...
You dont want to piss people off with hassle phone call's.
[this is another art in itself]
Plus all the other stuff above folk's have said.

Garry

[quote name='jakesbass' post='205616' date='May 24 2008, 05:09 PM']I'm pretty sure you're joking but just in case you're not, I have fed and clothed and housed and holidayed etc etc a wife and three kids solely on my music income for 12 years. And I have many colleagues that have done the same.

Are you pro Chris?[/quote]
Hi Jake,
I'm half joking and half serious. I find there is a grain of truth in the joke, "What do you call a musician without a girlfriend? Homeless!"
I'm glad you can fund your family through music, I know several people who do and it is a tough lifestyle. I am pro after a fashion!! I'm not in the teaching, jazz or function circuit so at times I am lucky to have a very understanding wife.

An understanding family is a must. Unless you suddenly make loads of dosh..but that hasn't happend yet!

One other thing that may not occur to people thinking about this - I've really enjoyed playing many different types of music, on many types of bass, but if someone gave me loads of ££ today to go and do "my thing" I wouldn't have a clue what I wanted to do. I don't even know what music to listen to for enjoyment anymore. I can appreciate most things (still don't get opera) but I've lost focus on "my music". Time for a holiday?

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='205672' date='May 24 2008, 07:25 PM']One other thing that may not occur to people thinking about this - I've really enjoyed playing many different types of music, on many types of bass, but if someone gave me loads of ££ today to go and do "my thing" I wouldn't have a clue what I wanted to do. I don't even know what music to listen to for enjoyment anymore. I can appreciate most things (still don't get opera) but I've lost focus on "my music". Time for a holiday?
BB[/quote]

This is true for me also...

But I think i get Opera , or is that a spelling mistake...
And you mean Orphra w....? :)

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='205631' date='May 24 2008, 05:45 PM']Learn to sight read....
A big +....
This will open doors to show's / Turn's / Session's etc.
This can bring in a good annual income.
And also useful for depping..
[Some Function Bands Even have Pad's]
If they have not...
The second thing to do is get your ear's in shape..
By this i mean good busking skill's...
or at least know plenty of tune's.
Either way , if you are good at one or other [pref both]
You will get the call's....In theory :huh:

Networking skill's also a plus...
You dont want to piss people off with hassle phone call's.
[this is another art in itself]
Plus all the other stuff above folk's have said.

Garry[/quote]

I'm really, really sorry - I know grammar correcting is a hateful habit and I don't do it for anything else but I promised my English teacher mother I'd try never to let this one pass - if you're talking about more than one of something there is no apostrophe before the S. You only use an apostrophe if you want to indicate possession. Moles = more than one mole. Mole's = belonging to Mole.

Please forgive this interruption. Apart from that, everything you said was very correct and useful :)

Sorry again :blush:

Jon

[quote name='trent900' post='205749' date='May 24 2008, 10:48 PM']I'm really, really sorry - I know grammar correcting is a hateful habit and I don't do it for anything else but I promised my English teacher mother I'd try never to let this one pass - if you're talking about more than one of something there is no apostrophe before the S. You only use an apostrophe if you want to indicate possession. Moles = more than one mole. Mole's = belonging to Mole.

Please forgive this interruption. Apart from that, everything you said was very correct and useful :)

Sorry again :blush:

Jon[/quote]

Ok .... If your mum is happy...so am i :huh:

But this does not help Gamble in anyway find out how i have made a very healthy living from playing Bass
for the past 30 years... :huh: ...And still am... :huh:
Not sure my wife and 3 year old son will be worried about MOLES and S'S ,
when my mortgage is finished on the 16th of July. :huh:

Garry

[quote name='jakesbass' post='205616' date='May 24 2008, 05:09 PM']I'm pretty sure you're joking but just in case you're not, I have fed and clothed and housed and holidayed etc etc a wife and three kids solely on my music income for 12 years. And I have many colleagues that have done the same.

Are you pro Chris?[/quote]

Hi same here. Sometimes I have worked extra doing other things a few days per week especially in the winter when I've had low months but music has kept me and my family going for....blimey almost 20 years!

My top tips to stay on top of the game:
- Learn to sightread - you will never be hired because how well you play but how well you read.....pit work, recording sessions ('nless you're doing your own thing), do I dare to say pantos, dep work, cruise ships....I know it all sounds really dreadful BUT it pays the bills...if you read!
- always come prepared to work, be organised, have your gear in order, don't be late.....make it a hygine factor, not a selling point....
- be nice to people!
- network, network, network...................
- build a library of music....chart everything and save it so that you can find it quickly. I scanned all my charts (roughly 5,000 odd songs!) a while ago and keep it on my laptop which I always carry with me. "-You want some ABBA Sir, no probs, gimme a second............:) I also got all my realbooks on PDF nowadays.......
- Never turn down work! it doesn't matter what it is...work is work and you never know what it will lead to. I once got a call from a local covers band when I lived in toronto who offered me to dep for their bass player. Crap money, boring rock covers at a sh*tty bar down the corner. I really wasn't up for doing the gig and I didn't get a good vibe form the person who called me. Anyway, I needed the dosh so I decided to do the gig, learnt the stuff and went down to the gig. It turned out that the band was awesome, all really good players and the keyboard player was scoring for film and tv. We became really god friends and he has been giving me all sort of work ever since!
- Be prepared to do a bit of everything....teach/tutoring, cover bands, tours, write, busking.....anything that pays counts!
- Ldearn another instrument as well...I play guitar and keys which basically tripples the opportunity to get paid work
- go for quality gear, but don't overdo it. No-one is gong to hire you because you have 400 boutique basses...make sure that you have ONE really good one that is properly set up and make sure you get to know that bass really well. Most producers hate when players are fiddling around with gear! I had ONE P-bass for over 20 years....then things got a bit crazy and started to try out all sorts of basses and amps and it went downhill.... :huh:....

Nowadays when I slightly older I have decided to develop another career in parallel mainly because I need to develop myself in other areas but I still do 150 gigs/year or so......I did a great gig yesterday with a local function band and I was thinking on my way back form the gig how lucky I am to be able to make money doing what love the most - play music!