Why become a member? ×

R.I.P. Kevin Ayers - Canterbury scene bassist ++

BassTractor

I remember seeing Kevin Ayers and the Whole World in about 1970.

Kevin Ayers - guitar
Mike Oldfield - bass
David Bedford - keyboards
Lol Coxhill - saxes
... and can't recall the drummer but might have been Robert Wyatt.

But I was listening to some of that stuff only last week for the first time in nearly 40 years.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361389460' post='1985273']
[size=4]I think Steve Hillage got involved too.[/size]
[/quote]

Probably, and Alan Holdsworth IIRC, and probably quite some others. I'm sure there's a tree on that online.
I've always found it typical of that scene that Nucleus at one point consisted of the exact same members as Soft Machine had consisted of some time before.

BTW and just in case, "Divided Alien" is Daevid's own invention.

best,
bert

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1361392358' post='1985362']
Davied was a member of Soft Machine but when they toured France in 1970, being Austrailian meant he couldn't visit France, didn't have the necessery papers.
[/quote]

Not quite, IIRC, Daevid Allen went to France with the Softs but wasn't allowed back into the UK, which led to him staying in France and forming Gong. Daevid and Kevin were both founder members of the Soft Machine, but the band changed hugely over its lifespan, morphing from their psychadelic roots in the late sixties to a jazz-rock/fusion outfit by the early to mid seventies (that's when Alan Holdsworth got involved). Kevin Ayers had left by the time Soft Machine Volume Two was made, replaced on bass by Hugh Hopper. Daevid Allen never even made it to the first "official" album, though he does play on the "demos" which were later released under the name "Jet Propelled Photographs". All of this is from memory, so apologies if any details are incorrect.

EDIT: just checked by copy of Soft Machine Vol I, and Kevin Ayers is credited with lead guitar (no bass credit - I suspect he did that too).

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1361401481' post='1985583']
Not quite, IIRC, Daevid Allen went to France with the Softs but wasn't allowed back into the UK, which led to him staying in France and forming Gong. Daevid and Kevin were both founder members of the Soft Machine, but the band changed hugely over its lifespan, morphing from their psychadelic roots in the late sixties to a jazz-rock/fusion outfit by the early to mid seventies (that's when Alan Holdsworth got involved). Kevin Ayers had left by the time Soft Machine Volume Two was made, replaced on bass by Hugh Hopper. Daevid Allen never even made it to the first "official" album, though he does play on the "demos" which were later released under the name "Jet Propelled Photographs". All of this is from memory, so apologies if any details are incorrect.

EDIT: just checked by copy of Soft Machine Vol I, and Kevin Ayers is credited with lead guitar (no bass credit - I suspect he did that too).
[/quote]Quite right. Thanks for giving my memory the support it needs. :unsure: :lol:

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1361389564' post='1985277']
Never listened to Soft Machine or Kevin Ayres but I know he/they were an influence on Gorky's Zygotic Mynci (one of my favourite bands in my yoof). Might have to have a delve into their back catalogue...
[/quote]

I discovered the wonders of Kevin Ayers and soft machine through the gorkys also (one of my favourite bands in my yoof as well- still are- named my son Euros!)

big fan of the unfairground album from a few years back...

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1361468643' post='1986218']
I discovered the wonders of Kevin Ayers and soft machine through the gorkys also (one of my favourite bands in my yoof as well- still are- [b]named my son Euros[/b]!)

big fan of the unfairground album from a few years back...
[/quote]

That's dedication! Lovely name, I've always thought :)

That's it, I'm listening to Bwyd Time on my train home now.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1361556217' post='1987562']
What a great bass player Mike was/is.
[/quote]

Bah! You only wrote that because Mike was/is a great bass player!
(To be honest, I had never noticed that before listening to this vid and reading your comment.)

best,
bert

Didn't know him or much about him, but from these responses he was obviously highly regarded.

So, to any rock n' roller who passes on i say,............. total respect for your contribution to the music scene; you will be well respected and remembered, good luck in "Rock N' ROLL HEAVEN" (let me know what's goin on, I'm not so far away myself! ;-)