Why become a member? ×

Is this worth anything? - Signed Duff McKagan bass

chriswilliams666

I've got a Duff McKagan signature Fender bass. I worked in a guitar store and pre-ordered one of the first into the country. I used it on quite a few gigs so it has a few marks but nothing major.

It's had the p-bass pickup replaced with what duff uses in his custom shop basses and strap locks added, again like Duffs.

The best part, mine is signed by Duff in silver marker on the back of the headstock. He did so at GAK in Brighton before a Velvet Revolver show at the Brighton Centre. I have a photo of me and him with the bass.

What do you guys think? Unsigned these normally go £550-£600 I think. Is it worth more?

Any advise appreciated, and any interested parties can message me directly.

I haven't put this to the for sale forum as its not currently available to buy.

Edited by chriswilliams666

If this is worth something, and someone would appreciate owning it more than I do I would look to move it on. I have had a couple of custom basses built for me so have been using these more. I may eBay auction it if no interest on here, if it is worth selling I think I will.
Here is me handing the bass to the man himself, he also signed an MXR M-80 pedal (pictured below) for UK distributors Strings and Things who I think auctioned it for charity. Same pen too ;-)
[attachment=127613:meduff.jpg][attachment=127614:duffpedal.jpg]
And cue bass on sofa pics...
[attachment=127607:smIMG_3031.jpg][attachment=127608:smIMG_3026.jpg][attachment=127609:smIMG_3027.jpg]
[attachment=127610:smIMG_3028.jpg][attachment=127611:smIMG_3029.jpg][attachment=127612:smIMG_3030.jpg]

Edited by chriswilliams666

Depends on who's looking to buy it. I like Duff's tone and playing, but personally I'd never pay extra for a signed instrument. If anything I'd sooner have an unmarked one. A massive Duff fan with a bit of spare cash might have other ideas however...

On the subject of adding things such as pickup upgrades, in my experience they never add value to a bass. I've seen a few s/h Squier VM Jazzes with expensive pickups and posh bridges etc up for sale at the cost of bass+parts(usually for 150% of the rrp!) and none have ended up selling for more then the price of a new one, no matter what has been done to them. I'd recommend reverting it to stock and selling the spares separately any day!

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I don't have any of the stock parts around. I think they were lost in my house move shortly after I did the mods as the bass was used for gigging not hanging. I wouldn't expect the pickups to make the value any higher. Thanks for your feedback though, it is much appreciated.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1360797636' post='1976852']
Depends on who's looking to buy it. I like Duff's tone and playing, but personally I'd never pay extra for a signed instrument. If anything I'd sooner have an unmarked one. A massive Duff fan with a bit of spare cash might have other ideas however...

On the subject of adding things such as pickup upgrades, in my experience they never add value to a bass. I've seen a few s/h Squier VM Jazzes with expensive pickups and posh bridges etc up for sale at the cost of bass+parts(usually for 150% of the rrp!) and none have ended up selling for more then the price of a new one, no matter what has been done to them. I'd recommend reverting it to stock and selling the spares separately any day!
[/quote]

Thanks man. It really is.
I actually have one of the original Japanese ones in Black, again in duff's spec and I prefer the playability of that one as the neck feels more jazz like. This reissue neck is slightly chunkier.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1360797679' post='1976853']
Beautiful bass though by the way!
[/quote]

Signed instruments are weird. To people who don't care about the signature they probably devalue the instrument. You have to hope you can find a collector and that they are willing to pay a premium for it. The fact that you have decent proof of authenticity helps.

If you really want to sell it and fetch its best price I think you would probably be best trying to find some serious GnR / Duff McKagan collectors rather than offering it to other bassists, most of whom won't really care for the signature.

Good luck :)

I think its wicked and even better with the signature and all the pictures to back it up etc! I havent seen many Duff signatures up for sale so I have no idea on value but I am sure it would be snapped up. Lovely bass, I hav wanted one for ages but no spare dosh.

If I were to buy it, Which I'm not, first thing I would do, is remove the signature.Anyone can get a signature on a guitar or bass, the internet is littered with them, unless the artist is dead and worthy, such as John Entwhistle, then I've never seen a signed instrument go for more than what an unsigned one does

Just my experience

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1360835614' post='1977067']
If you really want to sell it and fetch its best price I think you would probably be best trying to find some serious GnR / Duff McKagan collectors rather than offering it to other bassists, most of whom won't really care for the signature.
Good luck :)
[/quote]

Yep, or GnR tribute acts. Do a google search, they`re bound to have websites/contact e-mail addresses, then send them details. I`d love this, but have just bought another bass - hence selling two at the moment.

Edited by Lozz196

There was one signed on the front of the body at Sound Control in Newcastle that hung on the wall for ages, after the shop closed down Guitar Guitar got it and last time I was in (ages ago granted, I hate that place) it was still there. So the answer is, seems to be a difficult sell mate :(

I would normally be totally adverse to such a thing, but the fact that its signed behind the headstock and that Duff is a cool LAMF i would definitely prefer this bass than an unsigned one but i wouldnt pay more for it. If it was signed on the front i wouldnt want it unless it was a steal and i would get rid of the signature however i could lol
Very cool bass though.

Edited by Elvis Valentine

[quote name='chriswilliams666' timestamp='1360966233' post='1979318']
That's exactly right. An old Johnny Thunder reference which duff loves for some reason, ha.
[/quote]

Yep, Duff being an old punk at heart, that sounds just about right.