Why become a member? ×

Ultimate P Bass?

Ashborygirl

I have found *my* ultimate P-Bass - modded to suit me exactly. It is pretty much my ultimate bass, full-stop, and I am exceedingly happy about it. I bought a battered, scruffy old 90s MIJ but extremely lightweight bass from gjones on here. Black/Black/Maple. Fitted with a tinted Mighty Mite Jazz neck. I traded the tinted neck for a clear finish MM neck. Fitted (after much experimentation) Wizard Trad pup. Fitted a P-retro. Fitted a Hipshot Detuner. Fitted a Hipshot A Style bridge. It now looks exactly how I want a P-bass to look, sounds exactly how I want a P-bass to sound, plays like a dream AND it is lightweight.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1360879893' post='1977949']
I'm surprised not many have mentioned the JVs
[/quote]

for me, they're really good basses, but i don't think they compare to a high spec fender, or say a mike lull or lakland. I have two JV's and they're great, but the 2011 US fender precision i got recently is a better bass in my opinion. I've not tried one of the very early fender decal JV's though.

if money was no object at all, i'd get a fender custom shop P and be done with it, though saying that the new AV63 precision looks amazing (sonic blue!)

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1361703770' post='1989371']
Well the 3 that really intrigue me are the Dingwall Super P, the Xotic XP & the Lull. I don't see much mentioned about Mike Lull but what I do see suggests he makes a very special bass.
[/quote]
Indeed he does. Here's mine with a jazz width neck:

I have just got my hands on a Squier Silver Series precision - it arrived yesterday - and straight out of the case it is immediately promoted up the order. Weighs in at about 8.5lbs, 40mm nut width but shallow neck - extremely comfy. But the tone! That woody growl is present in buckets, more so than other precisions I have played incl. a USA Standard I had for some weeks. I don't know why it is so different from my 90s MIJ Fender (which is also nice but got some serious pimping to get there) - ostensibly they would be much the same? Anyway, it is the nicest P-bass I have played, ticks all my boxes and apart from a quick clean and set up later today I won't have touch it. Bought it for £200 - an absolute bargain.