Why become a member? ×

The Smiths Bass Player

LemonCello

Caught an old recording of The Smiths on Sky Arts 1 the other night. Morrissey's voice gets on my tits after a while but I was quite mesmerised by the Bass player (whoever it was). I'm gonna get caned for that coz it's probably someone well known isn't it?

My point is that he was playing a Precision through an old Trace rig no effects of any sort and it sounded superb. His playing was also very 'melodic' fitting with Jonny Mar's twangy Rickenbacker lead line perfectly - loved it.

So who was the Bass player? The gig I saw must have been late 80's judging by the hair do's but I might be wrong!

LC

I always thought Andy Rourke was an excellent bass player - inventive with a great sound and a great feel . Very important to the sound of that band , too ; the bass was always way up in the mix on those Smiths records .

Edited by Dingus

Andy is very under rated, to say the least and brilliantly inventive. The bassline to [i]Heaven knows I'm miserable now [/i]is a wonderful example of his musicality; it's probably my fave bassline of his.

The gig on Sky Arts was probably the one from Rockpalast, Hamburg in 1984; it's been shown a few times. Did you notice he played in F# Lemoncello ;) (each string up a whole step) - I've never really got to the bottom of why he did that.....

John Porter, formerly bassist with Roxy Music produced a lot of the early Smiths stuff. Might explain the prominent bass in the mix; he apparently always insisted Andy put new strings on before each recording, for maximum punch and brightness. It shows in the recordings.

Edited by Bobby K

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1360271028' post='1967955']
I always thought Andy Rourke was an excellent bass player - inventive with a great sound and a great feel . Very important to the sound of that band , too ; the bass was always way up in the mix on those Smiths records .
[/quote]

You've hit the nail on the head there. Very forward in the mix and weaving in and out of the lead line, very very musical I thought. No leaping about stage histrionics either, mind you the Mozza did enough of that for everyone!

I'm gonna look out for other stuff of his.

• Like 1

I'm a massive Smiths (and Rourke) fan. One of my favourite players.

Someone on here is in a really good Smiths tribute band - I noticed a link in their sig, and checked them out. I think they were called The Smiths Indeed - very authentic.

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1360271926' post='1967980']
Andy is very under rated, to say the least and brilliantly inventive. The bassline to [i]Heaven knows I'm miserable now [/i]is a wonderful example of his musicality; it's probably my fave bassline of his.

The gig on Sky Arts was probably the one from Rockpalast, Hamburg in 1984; it's been shown a few times. Did you notice he played in F# Lemoncello ;) (each string up a whole step) - I've never really got to the bottom of why he did that.....

John Porter, formerly bassist with Roxy Music produced a lot of the early Smiths stuff. Might explain the prominent bass in the mix; he apparently always insisted Andy put new strings on before each recording, for maximum punch and brightness. It shows in the recordings.
[/quote]

It was the Rocklpalast one and no I didn't notice the step up at all, says something about my ears! I did dabble with effects a little while ago and have gone back to my preferred clean sound now. A bass should sound like one I think. 'Miserable' was fab, inventive and musical with the Bass playing an equal part. I've got a few Smiths albums including Morrisey's newish one Years of Refusal, which I really rate - very rocky, but still unmistakably 'him'.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1360272391' post='1967988']
I'm a massive Smiths (and Rourke) fan. One of my favourite players.

Someone on here is in a really good Smiths tribute band - I noticed a link in their sig, and checked them out. I think they were called The Smiths Indeed - very authentic.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll check it out!

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1360271926' post='1967980']

[/quote]

.......I've just noticed your 'footer' Bob - not just my ears that are defective!! And checked out your website - Fantastic. When are you in Cardiff again?

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1360272989' post='1968012']
.......I've just noticed your 'footer' Bob - not just my ears that are defective!! And checked out your website - Fantastic. When are you in Cardiff again?
[/quote]

Unfortunately, we're not doing that much this year. Our [i]would be Morrissey [/i]lives in Belgium 90% of the time (he's a native of Antwerp!) and he recently became a dad, so he's quite busy with that. Also, me and the drummer are going to be busy shortly with the kate Bush tribute (starting a British tour on 22nd of this month)

We've done the Smiths tribute for almost 8 years now and it's been great fun. Hopefully this is just a break and not the end; we've had some great gigs in Cardiff, by the way! ;)

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1360272391' post='1967988']Someone on here is in a really good Smiths tribute band - I noticed a link in their sig, and checked them out. I think they were called The Smiths Indeed - very authentic.[/quote]
Naw, that TheSmithsIndeed bass player uses a natural Yamaha BB1200. He really should be using a BB2000.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1360272391' post='1967988']

[/quote]

cheers mate ;)

As for you Noel K, bugger off :lol:

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1360275312' post='1968089']

cheers mate ;)

As for you Noel K, bugger off :lol:
[/quote]

Ha! I posted that on my iPhone which doesn't show signatures, so I didn't know you'd already replied to this thread! Good job I didn't say you we're terrible.....!

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1360274707' post='1968066']
Naw, that TheSmithsIndeed bass player uses a natural Yamaha BB1200. He really should be using a BB2000.
[/quote]

Yep, the BB2000 was a somewhat [i]secret weapon [/i]on Smiths recordings (Everyone usually associates Andy with his '64 P bass)

The BB2000 was used on several recordings, most noteably on [i]Barbarism Begins at Home[/i]

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1360277426' post='1968139']
Favourite Andy Rourke basslines?
I'll start it off.....
Some girls are bigger than others.....chugs along like a train
Still Ill......as already mentions it weaves around the guitar nicely

What's your fave?
[/quote]

This Night Has Opened My Eyes