Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB614 or Epiphone EB-3?

guido21

I could do with some advice from all the seasoned pros :-). I'm looking for a decent(ish) quality bass to learn on, I started playing years ago but it's been a long time and will basically be starting from scratch. After hours of searching I've narrowed it down to a Yamaha BB614 or and Epiphone EB-3 (both seem to get good reviews and go used for between £100-£150..my budget). Can anyone recommend one over the other? I've also noticed that both of these have slim necks, I have largish hands (wrist to tip of middle finger about 8 3/4 inches). Would the slim necks be OK or should I be going for something more beefy? Any advice would be appreciated...thanks

Yamaha every day and twice on Sunday. I've owned both, so I feel qualified to make such a claim. FWIW I really liked the 614, I only got shot of it because it was supposed to be my throwabout bass and it being active only didn't sit well with that aim (for me anyway). To wit, my throwabout bass is now a BB450 (older, passive PJ, one of the 414's predecessors).

YAMAHA YAMAHA YAMAHA (did I mention yamaha?)

Simply for the versatility. You never get a duff one either (unless it's been abused by a previous owner! :lol: ) so buy with confidence.

Been a lot of 614's going cheap as chips on the 'bay recently ;)

Further justification for my comment - the neck on the Yamaha BB614/414 isn't super Jazz thin, it walks a pleasant middle road between Precision and Jazz and I found it very comfortable even though I like a chunky neck. I dislike Jazz necks. The other consideration is ergonomics. The Epi EB-3, bless it, is one of the most unbalanced basses there is. Even with a wide, grippy strap the neck will descend slowly towards the floor and you have to prop it up while you play. I had an Epi EB-3 as my first bass and it was basically an ornament.

Edited by neepheid

I have a Yamaha BB415 with a John East Pre-amp and a Jazz-type neck, a Yamaha BBN5 with a P-type neck and a Yamaha TRB1005 Fretless.

Guess which I'd recommend? The BBN4, actually!!

Also, the Peavey Millenium BXP, Cirrus BXP & Grind are also good value-for-money starter basses.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful input. It looks like Yamaha receives the unanimous vote. I had read other comments about the Epi neck dive but didn't pay much attention to it.

[i]I have a Yamaha BB415 with a John East Pre-amp and a Jazz-type neck, a Yamaha BBN5 with a P-type neck and a Yamaha TRB1005 Fretless.

Also, the Peavey Millenium BXP, Cirrus BXP & Grind are also good value-for-money starter basses.[/i]

geoffbyrne is there a particular reason you recommend the BBN4? Does that have a P neck? I was watching 2 of them on fleabay and both went for peanuts...

[quote name='guido21' timestamp='1359979351' post='1962727']
Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful input. It looks like Yamaha receives the unanimous vote. I had read other comments about the Epi neck dive but didn't pay much attention to it.

[i]I have a Yamaha BB415 with a John East Pre-amp and a Jazz-type neck, a Yamaha BBN5 with a P-type neck and a Yamaha TRB1005 Fretless.

Also, the Peavey Millenium BXP, Cirrus BXP & Grind are also good value-for-money starter basses.[/i]

geoffbyrne is there a particular reason you recommend the BBN4? Does that have a P neck? I was watching 2 of them on fleabay and both went for peanuts...
[/quote]

My BBN5 has a much wider neck (at the nut) than my BB415 - the comparison between the P neck and the J neck has some substance here. Now, I've never played the 4 string versions of either of those models, but I suspect they are proportional to their number of stings.

I would go for the N for precisely the reasons you suggest -- it has a P-type neck and they are cheap second-hand. Mine's a cracker, although I've swapped the single-coil standard pups out for the humbuckers found in the RBX375 model as I had one of those originally and preferred the humbucking tone.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/geoffbyrne/P1010063.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/geoffbyrne/P1010062.jpg[/IMG]

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1360013751' post='1963668']
They are both very differnet in subtle ways that I will explain below.

The Yammy is good.

The Epiphone is crap.

There you go. :D
[/quote]

I have no experience of Yammies , so feel qualified to comment. The Epi EB3 I had for a while was rather good - well made & sounded fine to me. It was a 1999 Korean model so don't if that made a difference . I did try a recent EB0 , and to concur with Jezza's review , it was, well, crap.

[quote name='guido21' timestamp='1360124072' post='1965217']
After all the helpful comments I'm afraid I need to throw a spanner in the works.... :blink: I've stumbled upon a Squier vintage modified P bass, any thoughts compared to the Yammys?
[/quote]

Those are pretty popular in these parts and would certainly be a more than decent bass. Modern Squiers (especially the slightly higher end models) are very good indeed.

Personally, I'd probably still pluck for a Yamaha, but given that both the basses I own are Yammys I'm probably a bit biased. If someone gave me a VM Squier I'd be very happy indeed
:D

The Epi just lacks tone, has some of the most horrific neck dive which harms your technique and just is a horrible feeling bass, to me anyway.

Never been one for Yamaha's and as such I've only read reviews and played them for a total of about 1 hour in the whole time I've been playing bass which is nearing 10 years now, I should check them out more maybe...

Now the Squier is the one I'd go for every single time, it's a classic design, ergonomically it's sound, the neck is a nice thicker piece of wood but if my Squier neck is to go by, I had the affinity series the neck won't be the thickest, plus the sound you can get from a P bass and its versatility is just unrivalled.

But I'd recommend going to your nearest bass shop and try all basses in your price range, that way YOU get the feel for what YOU like and find comfortable cause that is what is important

Righto....I've been around my local music shops (and cash converters etc) putting my greasy paws on a few instruments but I haven't managed to get my hands on a BBN4III yet (as recommended by geoffbyrne). There were a few Squier P bass Affinity's and I noticed the neck is quite slim (to me anyway...). The fender website specs for the Affinity and Vintage modified P basses listed the neck measurements as identical for these two basses, can anyone confirm if they are exactly the same? I noticed the Affinity seemed to have a questionable build quality, I could see that some of the screws weren't seated properly etc. I read a forum post where someone described the Affinity as a 'squier within a squier' and I could kind of see it. Unless of course this was just a poor example.

Next to the affinity was an Encore P bass (the headstock read 'Encore a john hornby sk ewes product). Now i know these are cheapos but to me it looked and felt solid, it had a much thicker neck and felt like a very sturdy piece of kit. The neck looked dead straight (to the naked eye) and it kind of just felt right. Of course you can see that the hardware/electronics aren't the best but I've seen some other threads of people using these as the start for a project bass, any views on that? The ticket price was £50, they go for less that on ebay but are these like other brands where the manufacturing gets moved around over the years and the quality varies? I wanted to start off again with something half decent but I really liked the feel of this thing....does anyone have the nut width and neck thickness for a BBN4III? I've spotted one of them also and am trying to decide whether to take a punt on the BBN4III and buy it sight unseen or go for the cheapie encore? :huh: