Why become a member? ×

Donald Fagen - Letterman Show Nov 2012

lowdown

I know nothing of Tim Lefebvre other than this clip - his playing technique looks like someone who's been playing for about 2 weeks: Gripping the neck like a cricket bat, thumb over the top...
but hey, he's playing with Donald Fagen, and I'm not... he must be doing something right :)

Y'know, I love Donald Fagen and Steely Dan, even with songs that I may not like as much as others, there is always something in them to admire and appreciate... for one thing, they invariably groove!

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1359204042' post='1951485']
I know nothing of Tim Lefebvre other than this clip - his playing technique looks like someone who's been playing for about 2 weeks: Gripping the neck like a cricket bat, thumb over the top...
but hey, he's playing with Donald Fagen, and I'm not... he must be doing something right :)
[/quote]

He's a bit of a monster actually, claims to not be a chops type player at all and has been working in NYC for a while, recently made the move to LA. It's kind of cool to see Fagan give the gig to someone that's less reputable in some ways, he could literally have picked anyone from Will Lee, Freddie Washington etc. but this guy is younger and up and coming, he's a nice player.

I kind of like the tune now after a few listens, but I agree with Wombat on the difference between SD and Fagan's own stuff being basically non-existent. Who knows, maybe Walter Becker can throw up the walls against his creativity from time to time, it's probably nice to have the ability to command your own band completely independently.

Saw Wayne Krantz with Steely Dan years ago at Wembley Arena with Tom Barney on bass. The group took a little while to get going but then settled into an awesome groove for the rest of the set. WK was a little muzzled though. I saw his trio with Tim [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lefebvre and Keith Carlock on drums in the Band on the Wall in Manchester - 15 people in the audience and boy did they stretch out! WK really working that textual way playing with his effects. Spoke to Tim after who showed real disdain for the chops-orientated jazz of the time - singling out Marcus for playing the same old stuff. He had a gorgeous sunburst P which he played almost all above the 12th fret but mostly on the 'E' and 'A' strings to get a real dubby sound.[/font][/color]

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1359217470' post='1951764']
Saw Wayne Krantz with Steely Dan years ago at Wembley Arena with Tom Barney on bass. The group took a little while to get going but then settled into an awesome groove for the rest of the set. WK was a little muzzled though. I saw his trio with Tim [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lefebvre and Keith Carlock on drums in the Band on the Wall in Manchester - 15 people in the audience and boy did they stretch out! WK really working that textual way playing with his effects. Spoke to Tim after who showed real disdain for the chops-orientated jazz of the time - singling out Marcus for playing the same old stuff. He had a gorgeous sunburst P which he played almost all above the 12th fret but mostly on the 'E' and 'A' strings to get a real dubby sound.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

He's right, Marcus Miller does play the same old stuff unfortunately and it's incredibly boring. It's obviously what he gets paid for nowadays to trawl out the same old tired routine but man, it puts me completely to sleep.

to say Marcus Miller plays the same old boring stuff is a little short sighted imo.. he does some amazing work with various artists... if you dont like his solo work thats cool, but to say hes playing the same old routine is wrong.. i love Tims playing, im sure that Tim would have alot more respect for Marcus Miller than comes across in your post Visog.. ;)

Edited by soul deluxe