Why become a member? ×

Help! what are these strings???

mcnach

I broke my G string last night playing Black Eyed Blonde...
No, I did not have a back up this time (first time ever breaking a string, and one of the times I do not have a back up!), but I did have a set of strings. I fitted the new one while the rest of the band launched into a RHCP-esque jam with improvised lyrics around the "he bust a G string" subject.

Now... about strings.
I bought this MM SUB a year ago, used, and I left the strings it came on as I really liked them. No idea what they are 'though. Steel? NIckel? Who knows.

They sounded great at first, and although they lost the zing, they still sounded great now, I just turned up the treble when I needed bright sounds. They had a very powerful low midrange, lots of bottom end, and my SUB still sounded great.

The G string I used last night was a D'Addario, nickel, gauge 45, from an EXL170 set. I use these strings a lot and I like them... but this G string was very imbalanced. Very wimpy sounding next to the three remaining strings.

What strings do I have? I want more of them!

I measured the gauges: 105, 80, 65... and presumably 45 (I threw the old string away).
NO silks, brass ends... no particular distinctive features...

Here are some pictures...

Bridge end. A bit coarser winding than the G string (D'Addario):

Brass ends:

No silk at the headstock end. You can see the taper on the E string... maybe that helps?

full headstock... excuse poor winding job on the G... it was a rushed job and I did not have wire cutters so had to wind the whole length:

any ideas???

I would love to string this bass with the same strings. It was my favourite bass, and I think these strings contributed significantly to why I loved it so much.

Thanks for the suggestions! Warwicks came to mind, as I had them on my first Corvette and they did have the same type of texture... only I thought they had red silks. But I could be mistaken...
It's going to be difficult, such a plain looking string! :(
Thanks for all the suggestions!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1358783672' post='1944896']
I'm guessing you didn't buy on BC otherwise I doubt you'd be asking.
[/quote]

No, I bought it outside BC I'm afraid. I did ask the previous owner when I bought it, and he did not know! :blink:

Are the cores hex or round? It's hard to be sure from the pics....might narrow down things down a bit.

I find D'Addarios very bright, DR Highbeams / Fatbeams sound fat and clangy and unmistakeably stainless steel.

Ernie Ball Slinkys have a more balanced tone but less character, Status Hotwires have lots more fundamental plus some top end zing. Never had one break though.

I'd suggest trying a set of Status Hotwires first as they're cheap, and then some Fatbeams as they're probably closest to the sound your describing.

Dr Fatbeams Marcus Miller Signature set are 45-65-80-105 and dont have silk on the ends . It could be however , that someone repaced a 85 A string with an 80 from another set before you got the bass . Do the strings feel very flexible and elastic for the given gauge ? If they do that would be in keeping with round core DRs such as the Fatbeams .

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1358787161' post='1944982']
Are the cores hex or round? It's hard to be sure from the pics....might narrow down things down a bit.

I find D'Addarios very bright, DR Highbeams / Fatbeams sound fat and clangy and unmistakeably stainless steel.

Ernie Ball Slinkys have a more balanced tone but less character, Status Hotwires have lots more fundamental plus some top end zing. Never had one break though.

I'd suggest trying a set of Status Hotwires first as they're cheap, and then some Fatbeams as they're probably closest to the sound your describing.
[/quote]

D'Addarios are indeed very bright, but after a month of moderate use they are quite nice, and stay that way for months.

DR Highbeams... I have those on my G&L L2000. Just because it came with those when I bought it and I liked them on that bass, but they have noticeably higher tension than the D'Addarios for a similar gauge.

Fatbeams... I have never tried those. Hmm, what are these like? The HiBeams have a nice tone, just a bit higher tension than I'd like (although I'm talking not-critical differences)

Ernie Ball... I used lots of guitar sets, but no bass. I was looking at pictures online and decided that they do look very similar, looking at the taper at the headstock end, the way the other end is wound... so I ordered a set of 45-65-80-100. That's not what I have, as I bring down the E string to 100, but the SUB has tons of bottom end, and I find more important to keep the 45/65 at the other end. So I will try these and see... But I'm not convinced these are the same ones because of the gauge discrepancy.

Hotwires, eh? are they silk-free? I have some of the flatwound ones. Nice strings.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358787406' post='1944988']
Dr Fatbeams Marcus Miller Signature set are 45-65-80-105 and dont have silk on the ends . It could be however , that someone repaced a 85 A string with an 80 from another set before you got the bass . Do the strings feel very flexible and elastic for the given gauge ? If they do that would be in keeping with round core DRs such as the Fatbeams .
[/quote]

Oooh... Fatbeams already suggested by someone else... and these ones, the gauge matches!

Yes, I thought that the A string could have been changed... but it would have had to be done when all the strings were new, as they are all similarly aged. Of course, the previous owner could have just bought singles...

My strings do feel pretty flexible and elastic for the gauge!!! Yes!!! The HiBeams do not, however... and they are round core. They feel much less elastic than D'Addarios, for instance.

DR fatbeams are not cheap... Happy to buy them if they are the right thing, and they look like they could be... are Fat Beams a bit more "elastic" feeling than HiBeams?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1358788572' post='1945020']
I would have guessed Ernie Ball. Definitelty not Warwicks as the headstock end look kind of like springs on those... IE much less winding.
[/quote]

you are right! I forgot about the springy part at the headstock of the Warwicks. Pity, as they are really cheap.;)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1358789170' post='1945036']
My guess.... DR strings of some kind - thats judging by look and how you describe them.
[/quote]

Hmmm, you think so too?

I have to say... Fatbeams are the only ones I have been able to locate with a 45-65-80-105 gauge...

i've got an old set of fatbeams at home, i'll compare them to your pics when i get in, i used to use them exclusively when i just had a 5er, i'll probably go back to them one day when i wnat a change from flats (which is all i use at the moment)

Matt

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358789702' post='1945052']
DR Fat Beams.

[/quote]

Hmmm. The winding looks a bit coarser than on mine, or is that my imagination?
I can't see the taper from this angle on the E string, so I can't judge that.
Thanks for posting that!