Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner Owners - A daft question...

amnesia

I need a physically small rig to play some acoustic gigs that my 400W valve rig is just too much to carry.

I trialed and liked the sound of the GB Streamliner, so the 600 version and probably a Focus 1x12 cab is what I am thinking.

So, here's the daft thought that occured to me earlier - just how QUIETLY can you run one of these amps? Is it possible to set the volume and master levels to a reasonable bedroom practice level? I don't want to use headphones.

Told you it was a daft question!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1358110428' post='1933376']
You can use either wattage amp and keep the gain volume down, gain wherever you like....then use the master to taste.
[/quote]

Grand.

I wasn't sure if the controls were sensitive enough at their lower end to use at a house practice volume. If they are useable at this volume - and you seem to confirm this - then my practice amp can go, and this rig could take its place.

Thanks for your input gents, much appreciated.

Now I'm wondering if I find the extra £100 to go for the 900 version, so I can choose to use it inplace of my valve amp - or replace my large rig entirely with new cabs aswell. :lol: Damn Shiny-fing Syndrome

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1358110898' post='1933391']
Now I'm wondering if I find the extra £100 to go for the 900 version, so I can choose to use it inplace of my valve amp - or replace my large rig entirely with new cabs aswell. :lol: Damn Shiny-fing Syndrome
[/quote]

Headroom.

If you can go for the 900 over the 600, great. If not, either amp is gonna be a fine investment.

Ultimately, with the 900, the controls go down as well as up ;)

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1358112863' post='1933436']

Headroom.

If you can go for the 900 over the 600, great.
If not, either amp is gonna be a fine investment.
Ultimately, with the 900, the controls go down as well as up ;)
[/quote]

+1

That's exactly why I went for the 900 as well.

I had concerns about controlling the power, but there really is no problem. For the extra £100 you may as well have the headroom.

'Nother one here, used my STL900 at home many-a-time, would all the time but I have an old Superfly constantly plugged in for practice, saves the effort of getting the STL out the case, leads etc, the only reason, otherwise the STL is fine.

If fact, with the 3 volume/gain type controls you can make as sensitive or otherwise as you like, more so, perhaps, than other amps.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1358523631' post='1940841']

If fact, with the 3 volume/gain type controls you can make as sensitive or otherwise as you like, more so, perhaps, than other amps.
[/quote]

^^This^^

Are we sure we aren't me?

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for the Streamliner 600. I play in a loud band with a loud drummer and have never had it at 50%. IMHO, if you want more volume than this provides, you need to be DI'ing into the desk, or risk blowing your eardrums out! Has anyone out there actually had to push a 900?

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1358539105' post='1941234']
....the Bergantino HD112 is looking rather tasty. damn my expensive taste....
[/quote]

Apparently the Berg HD sounds great with an SL600/900, and will sound great at high or low volume, but if you can wait, the CN112 is coming out in June.

If this cab is for low volume use only I'd also look at the Aguilar DB112 cabs. But then if you could be persuaded to look at other amps, the Aguilar TH500 seems to be getting all the good reviews at the moment.

If you are only going to run 1 112 cab then a 500watt amp will give you enough volume and the headroom to get a great tone.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1360585943' post='1972644']

If you are only going to run 1 112 cab then a 500watt amp will give you enough volume and the headroom to get a great tone.
[/quote]

Initially it will only be a single 1x12 so I agree that it is overkill, but I want to keep my options open for upgrades in the future. Either to add another 1x12 for the acousti-punk band, or its even possible that I will look into a larger cab like a Bergantino 6x10 so I can replace my Trace / Marshall rig.

The deed is done.

Spent three hours in Bass Direct this morning trying combinations of Shuttle / Streamliner / Orange TB with single and paired Berg 1x12 and 2x10 cabinets. B)

I left with the Streamliner 900 and a HD112. :D
It's a great portable rig for my acousti-punk adventures and my own bands acoustic gigs I have planned for them, but its also easily upgradeable with the addition of another HD112 or HD210.

I also did two things I haven't done before - played a Dingwall fanned fret bass, and a short scale fretless with some kind of coated strings. :)

Pity the speakon cable I knew I had at home was broken so I couldn't play with it when I got it home. Smegging neighbours were out aswell :angry: