Why become a member? ×

New Years Resolution - Bass Style!

charic

Ok, I need a motivator to practice as hard as I used to and get my "chops" back.

For this reason I am setting myself a bass new years resolution.

By the end of this year I will upload to basschat my best efforts at playing:
Pull Me Under - Dream Theater
Metropolis Pt.1 - Dream Theater
Endless Sacrifice - Dream Theater
A fools Paradise - Symphony X

And two challenges set by members of Basschat (no slap please :lol: I don't currently have an urge to work on that particular technique)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1357895735' post='1930063']
[/quote]

To my shame, this is the only track that I have ever given up on :( :blush:

Although I feel bad about being unable (and unwilling) to master it, I console myself by saying that it is not my style and is unnecessarily complex for no real benefit. It simply follows the guitar part and therefore adds little to the track overall IMO. That's my excuse anyway!

BTW, I'm not talking about the main riffs, but the middle section bit with the fast arpeggiated runs. Just daft, that is! :)

Edited by Conan

Not going to set my sights to the very high level Charic has set, but I am determined to play enough bass between rehearsals/gigs that I don't suffer from lack of callouses and end up with serious right hand blisters if we do two nights on the trot! That and a few vocal lessons.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1357895735' post='1930063']
Ok, I need a motivator to practice as hard as I used to and get my "chops" back.

For this reason I am setting myself a bass new years resolution.

Metropolis Pt.1 - Dream Theater
Endless Sacrifice - Dream Theater
A fools Paradise - Symphony X

And two challenges set by members of Basschat (no slap please :lol: I don't currently have an urge to work on that particular technique)
[/quote]
Fook me, looking forward to seeing metropolis. I know it sounds more difficult than it is. Seen DT three times when i was younger, always waited for that song. Hung out with them too. Shared a spliff and a kebab with Portnoy ( both mine, scrounger), and la brie signed my then girlfriends boobs.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1357916995' post='1930578']
:lol: hell of a story!

I think Metropolis is probably going to be the easiest of that bunch to be honest!
[/quote]
Oh yeah and derek sherinian tried to pull my mates missus and take her on the rest of the tour with them. My mate was gonna twat him!

Edited by Lord Sausage

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1359429001' post='1954676']
That's some challenge!

How about Meshuggah - Bleed

I don't know which is harder... the right hand technique or the timing!
[/quote]

I definitely see what you mean, I'll have to give it a shot and see how I get on with it but at the very least this will end up turning into an excercise for my picking technique :D

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1359461380' post='1955008']
I really enjoy playing pull me under until it gets to that arpeggio bit, then it just gets silly :P
[/quote]

Yeah... It took two weeks of playing to get it up to 100% but I managed it last night, gotta try again tonight and hope I can still do it :D

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1359461855' post='1955020']
nice one :D looking forward to seeing the vid. I really want to learn then whole song at some point.
[/quote]

To play on a 4 or 6 string? I've modified a tab I downloaded to suit my playing style which I'm happy to share out if anyone wants it (it's for a 6 string though)