Why become a member? ×

Stuart zender in jamiroquai

marcus bell

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1357865424' post='1929914']
Love jamiroquai especially the stuff with stu zender playing bass :)
- emergency on planet earth
- return of the space cowboy
- travelling without moving

Can anyone give me a little lessons as to what stuart used?

I.e basses, effects and amps...

Thanks a lot
[/quote]

Hey Marcus, Stuart was given a cheque when he was younger by his mum for living etc. which he blew (or cleverly purchased, whichever way you look at it) on a Warwick Streamer Stage I 4 string. That was the bass he used on all of the first album as far as I'm aware apart from on When You Gonna Learn, which was Andrew Levy on bass. After that is was Stage I & II five strings, a Stage I 8-string, a Streamer fretless, a Musicman and a P-Bass. He had quite a few custom shops, a white Stage I with blue LEDs, the 'Iroquois' print Stage II, and the 'Godzilla' all chrome Stage I 5 with green LEDs for promo work and playing after Jamiroquai did the Godzilla soundtrack theme... he got booted out shortly before a lot of stuff of the 4th album got released and his tracks were erased, he got replaced with Nick Fyffe.

He's used Trace Elliot valve gear, Warwick, Mesa Boogie and Ampeg for amplification. His earlier effects were done on a Boss ME-6B and later he used the ME-8B.

Warwick IMO leant a lot to his sound, his amps etc. are kind of neither here nor there as I'm pretty certain it was straight to the desk with his sound in the studio, plus an ungodly amount of compression which always gave him that squashed sound that kind of popped out in the mix so well.

He was (is) a great player, I think there were plenty of issues with him and the rest of the band which led to his expulsion, I heard a lot of ego was involved which you can probably imagine in a band like that. I think that he might be on better terms with them now, he definitely is with Derrick McKenzie, their drummer. Hope that helps!

Im afraid i dont know . Just wanted to chime in with how much i loved Zender in Jamiroqui. Sadly after he went so did the heart i think. There is a song on youtube in which hes on a kids tv show (like fraggle rock not blue peter) and the song he does is amazing . See if you can check it out you'll love it.
Also he married the hottest of the All Saints who had the sexiest voice.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1357867298' post='1929924']
He was (is) a great player, I think there were plenty of issues with him and the rest of the band which led to his expulsion, I heard a lot of ego was involved
[/quote]
Chemically assisted egos were an issue after his departure, apparently.

thanks a lot risingsun for the fantastic info...

for me im very true to the original lineup of jamiroquai with stu in the band... for me the band made their best music when he was in the band and i love the sound and playing of zender :)

Im a big mark king and stanley clarke fan so i really understand what gear they have used and what they use currently and how they get their sound.
So to have found some useful information out about stuart zender has been great, all i knew previously was he used warwick with jamiroquai :)

thanks again dude

Stuart was using a Warwick Streamer in the early 90s'

I was lucky enough to bump in to him at the London Bass Centre in Wapping in '92. At the time I was trying out a few amps and busting out a load of chops from emergency on planet earth, not realising that the dude sat next to me was Stuart Zender!!! He asked me how to play a Chili pepper line that I was messing about with and we struck up a bit of a chat. He came across as really down to earth. It was only a month later when I saw him on the front cover of Bassist that I realised who he was!!!

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][i]Definitely Warwick, Pete. Never seen him play anything else and when it comes to the slap/pop sound it's quite different from a Stingray sound. However fingerstyle Stingray and Warwick are quite similar in some respects.[/i][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][i]Nick Fyffe used Stingrays extensively on recordings, although tended to use a 5 string Yamaha TRB and a 4 string Yamaha BB live.[/i][/font]

[i][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Both are awesome players in my view - as is the current guy, Paul Turner. [/font][/i]

[i][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif](Sorry about italics - seems to be the default tonight!)[/font] [/i]

Stuart definitely used Stingrays to record with. Most of the time it will have been a Warwick, it's his obvious preference during his time with Jamiroquai but as I'm sure we're all aware records are deceiving, by the time the signal has been processed a bass can sound like a lot of different things. He also used an Alembic early on as well.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1357998228' post='1931585']
The first time I saw Jamiroquai play there was a Warwick Thumb NT on a stand that didn't get used in the set, so he had one of those too. You can see him play it on the When Are You Gonna Learn video.
[/quote]

Not saying it won't have been his as it well could have been but Andrew Levy from the Brand New Heavies owned a Thumb around that time, probably even played it on When You Gonna Learn so I guess it's possible it could have been borrowed by Stuart as I've never heard of him using one, nor has he ever mentioned it in interview. Also possible Warwick might have leant him one too.

I went to see Jamiroquai on the first UK tour in 93 and was backstage and got to see Stuart soundchecking and have a few words with him . He used a pink Stingray four string for one song ( I think the song Revolution ) , and although my memories of the evening are a bit hazy , I seem to remember that he told me it was the bass he had before the Warwick .

In this concert from 1993, he is using Trace Elliot gear ... 1x15 and 4x10 cabs, not sure what the head is, but it's [b][i]not[/i][/b] one of the valve heads. Can anyone shed light on this?

It's a great concert, check it out when you've got a spare hour and a half ...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhC-hhavnYg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhC-hhavnYg[/url]

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1358075826' post='1932571']
In this concert from 1993, he is using Trace Elliot gear ... 1x15 and 4x10 cabs, not sure what the head is, but it's [b][i]not[/i][/b] one of the valve heads. Can anyone shed light on this?

It's a great concert, check it out when you've got a spare hour and a half ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhC-hhavnYg[/media]
[/quote]

I saw Stuarts rig up close in the summer of 93 and he was using one of the regular AH Series Trace heads from what was the current range at the time . I remember it had the Trace logo moulded into the sleeve of the head - I think they were made of or covered in injection moulded plastic or something around this time . I was using Trace gear back then ( still am now in fact ) so it stuck in my mind .

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1358150695' post='1933719']
I always thought that he was just a 4 string payer? I don't recall seeing any 5 string tabs. What would I know! I love that early Jamiroquai stuff though
[/quote]

I would say if anything he was primarily a 5 string player during the time he was with Jamiroquai. Don't trust tabs at all, they are usually incredibly misleading and usually wrong!