Why become a member? ×

RIP Phillip Parris Lynott, August 20th 1949-January 4th 1986

barneyg42

I've a lot of time for Phil the musician. Great rock frontman and songster whos songs and band continue to influence. Rightly so.

Let's not forget WHY he's gone though. Nothing cool about that. I like to think that if I'd had the talent and the breaks to aceive such siccess I'd have done better than abuse the rewards that brings and force those that love me to watch me do it.

Great front man and wrote beautiful bass lines. Dancing in the moonlight is one of my favourite songs. The first three bass notes, set up the mood of the song-a real classic. Vocally beautiful to listen to and wrote beautiful songs (eg. Still in love with you). Met him in person and he was charismatic but generous in spirit. Stick on a vinyl copy of live and Dangerous and its all there. Will always be missed.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1357296141' post='1920440']
Let's not forget WHY he's gone though. Nothing cool about that. I like to think that if I'd had the talent and the breaks to aceive such siccess I'd have done better than abuse the rewards that brings and force those that love me to watch me do it.
[/quote]

Very much this.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1357299681' post='1920511']
Respect to anybody who can play bass and sing at the same time..

RIP Phil
[/quote]

Respect to all players who get off their arse and play from me - but I can assure you playing bass and singing at the same time is not difficult at all if practised. I can do it. I couldn't do it - so I practised - Now I can do it. That's it.

I'm always saying this - but I make no apologies for taking this opportunity if it helps someone else.....

We spend months and years learning to play an instrument. We get better at it very very slowly but we do get better because we put the work in . When it comes to singing - or playing/singing - we expect to be able to do it off the bat or say 'I can't do it'. Rubbish.

Phil is a good example. I've played a lot of his lines and sung a lot of his songs and I can certainly see why his phrasing in both fields is the way it is. It's because that's the way he taught himself to do both at once - fitting his bass lines around the more important vocal melody. As bass players we could learn plenty from that whether we sing or not.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1357296141' post='1920440']
I've a lot of time for Phil the musician. Great rock frontman and songster whos songs and band continue to influence. Rightly so.

[/quote]

He went the path of so many before him ( Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, the list goes on). A young working class guy who embraced the fame and associated trappings that the rock lifestyle offered him. Fell into the trap of addiction like so many of his peers and Did not survive.He was just human after all.

First heard whiskey in the jar in a pub in Witney in 73 a lunch time session. I was taken to another place. Lizzy became my band from that day on. 7 years before picking up a bass. He didn't draw me to the bass but he was just a great charismatic front man who oozed personality, a poet who moved people, a loveable rouge who loved life, one of the lads.
The Rocker is still my favourite

Was in Dublin for "The Vibe" this weekend just gone 3rd - 6th. Visited Phils grave in Howth and left an E string there. My words - "You silly b****** ". I know when his mum visits she suposedly kicks the headstone and tells him what a silly git he was.

There but for the grace of god and a few good choices go I.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1357570678' post='1924634']
Was in Dublin for "The Vibe" this weekend just gone 3rd - 6th. Visited Phils grave in Howth and left an E string there. My words - "You silly b****** ". I know when his mum visits she suposedly kicks the headstone and tells him what a silly git he was.

There but for the grace of god and a few good choices go I.
[/quote]

Presses the "like" button :)