Why become a member? ×

Trace v4 combo new old stock

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250203948640&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=250204220352&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D12"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...2BSI%26otn%3D12[/url]

Do i remember seeing a pic of Ped's V4 combo that looked very similar? Aesthetically nion perfect for a combo IMO. I bet it sounds increadible, BUT (and it’s a big ‘but’)…£1799? I can’t say that I’ve ever been particularly good at judging the market value of stuff, but that seems rather high. Rarity has got to be playing a big factor I think. If it's the same as Ped's then he should have a good idea on how reasonable the price is.

That amp has been advertised for the best part of a year. You'd think the lights would have switched on by now.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='200050' date='May 15 2008, 11:49 PM']it is worth absolutly nothing like that, last one on ebay i think sold for more than a grand less, correct me if im wrong[/quote]
It sold for £400 the second time it was listed. I was the original buyer but I walked away from it because it was in a really abused state and the seller hadn't mentioned that the original tubes were still installed and only half of them were working. I thought that given its state there could potentially be all sorts of things wrong with it if it had been shagged senseless and not maintained at all.

Aye, that's the same as mine. Beautiful looking and sounding. I got mine for less than that though!

I went and looked at it recently and though it is in perfect nick I would be wary of buying (well, anything from the Bass Cellar) a 'NOS' item from them, because it means it has probably been left in their dark damp store room and never used, and could have as many problems as the one Kiwi tested. It could, of course, be perfect. Still, an expensive gamble. I felt very safe with mine, I think it has had 3 or 4 previous owners who used it a lot and as a result I know it is a goodun'. It still has the original valves and hasn't ever given me any trouble.

I nearly sold mine recently because I thought I needed the money to pay for a back operation but managed to keep it. It doesn't get out much any more because it is difficult for me to move by myself with my back, but I can't bring myself to sell it because it represents everything I like about valve amplifiers. It really is a beauty.

Cheers
ped

p.s I would probably part with mine for... ohhh, I dunno... 2K?

[quote name='ped' post='200328' date='May 16 2008, 12:05 PM']Aye, that's the same as mine. Beautiful looking and sounding. I got mine for less than that though!

I went and looked at it recently and though it is in perfect nick I would be wary of buying (well, anything from the Bass Cellar) a 'NOS' item from them, because it means it has probably been left in their dark damp store room and never used, and could have as many problems as the one Kiwi tested. It could, of course, be perfect. Still, an expensive gamble. I felt very safe with mine, I think it has had 3 or 4 previous owners who used it a lot and as a result I know it is a goodun'. It still has the original valves and hasn't ever given me any trouble.

I nearly sold mine recently because I thought I needed the money to pay for a back operation but managed to keep it. It doesn't get out much any more because it is difficult for me to move by myself with my back, but I can't bring myself to sell it because it represents everything I like about valve amplifiers. It really is a beauty.

Cheers
ped

p.s I would probably part with mine for... ohhh, I dunno... 2K?[/quote]
When I win the lottery I'll pay you £2k for it, and that's a promise :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='200126' date='May 16 2008, 07:57 AM']That amp has been advertised for the best part of a year. You'd think the lights would have switched on by now.[/quote]
Yeah, they've got a couple of SUB basses at £650 too and they've been on there for AGES, i actually messaged them telling them nobody in their right mind would pay that for one but they just ignored me. They're wasting ridiculous amounts of money keeping these things listed at stupid prices.

hey ped!

bet you were counting again! lol

yep, concur with everything you say about the V4, everything I like about a valve amp.

I nearly sold mine last week but lucky to see sense last call - dont know what I was thinking!!

For me, the V4 represents the best value out of the V series...I have played through a V8, fantastic but not a V4, used a V6 super nice smashing still no V4. The V4 is the monster of the range as it just gives the second you plug in and start playing...volume is there in abundance - instantly - unlike the V6 and V8, which give you more control sweeter, nicer, hifi, lovely, spring day, sunny, silk stockings - get the picture? turn on the V4 and you get the fecking monster! dirty, huge, careless, mad, etc....

I'm sure I noticed that the Bass Cellar is part of the Doncaster Music Ground group? They have a reputation for being extremely off the planet with their pricing structures!!

andy