Why become a member? ×

"Better?"

Antiloco

To argue if it is possible to be better or worse at art means that someone must set out agreed standards of what is good and what is bad. It's a bit like trying to compare Rothko to Constable, it can't be done, or if it is, it is meaningless.

Whether you like it or not, popular music is art - just like I don't like John Constable but I couldn't argue that his populist style is not art. Part of the art of popular music is the image - from band logos to record sleeves to what the bands wear and play on stage.

So cut out this absolute nonsense of the mediocre, stop belittling some great forum members who work very succesfully in this artform of which you obviously do not approve and then perhaps we'll join in your threads in a more constructive manner.

A clown :D

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357154178' post='1918335']
Offended clowns: Feel free to start your own thread about how fun it is to be mediocre.

Please feel welcome if your intention is to discuss the topic.

Thanks.
[/quote]

What are your thoughts on metronomes? Do you own a pair of Hi Tec trainers?

Edited by Protium

[quote name='mbellishment' timestamp='1357156357' post='1918389']
Can you link me up please?
Did a google and youtube search but to no avail :(
[/quote]

I found it via a YouTube clip on Google. Sorry I haven't uploaded it - I don't want to be held responsible for any side effects you might experience.

(I'm also a technical incompetent at adding links.)

[quote name='jude_b' timestamp='1357156745' post='1918400']
I found it via a YouTube clip on Google. Sorry I haven't uploaded it - I don't want to be held responsible for any side effects you might experience.
[/quote]

He's right, you know - it nearly made me vomit. :lol:

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1357155219' post='1918358']
To argue if it is possible to be better or worse at art means that someone must set out agreed standards of what is good and what is bad. It's a bit like trying to compare Rothko to Constable, it can't be done, or if it is, it is meaningless.

Whether you like it or not, popular music is art - just like I don't like John Constable but I couldn't argue that his populist style is not art. Part of the art of popular music is the image - from band logos to record sleeves to what the bands wear and play on stage.

So cut out this absolute nonsense of the mediocre, stop belittling some great forum members who work very succesfully in this artform of which you obviously do not approve and then perhaps we'll join in your threads in a more constructive manner.

A clown :D
[/quote]

Normally I eschew quoting entire posts, but that one was so good that it would have been unfair to snip it at all!

I wish i could have put my (similar) thoughts into such succinct words! Masterpiece!

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357154178' post='1918335']
Offended clowns: Feel free to start your own thread about how fun it is to be mediocre.

Please feel welcome if your intention is to discuss the topic.

Thanks.
[/quote] :rolleyes:

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357036661' post='1916495']
I've been into several forums now where there seems to be a tabu around talking about someone being better or worse in musical situations. I wonder what the debate climate looks like here in bass chat so I put the discussion on the table: Is it possible to be better or worse than anyone in art? Are we all the same? Is this too subjective to measure? Isn't this thinking curling the way for laziness to take advantage of people with the will to grow? Etc, etc...
[/quote]

The basschat rules are very simple - you can say anything you like about anyone, however any criticism of any of the following (in no particular order):

Mark King
Jaco Pastorius
Pino Palladino
Geddy Lee

will result in a lifetime of scorn and derision B)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1357124197' post='1917651']
Its all a bit pointless, anyway. Music isn't a competition, its an enjoyable experience. There are only two types of music, music you like and music you don't. Worrying about who is best at it seems to miss the point somewhat.
[/quote]

BIG +1!

The only way you could conclude that one bass player is "better" than another is when talking about a specific song: if you asked two players to play a song as per the record, and one could play it note for note and the other couldn't, you could conclude that one was better than the other in THAT scenario. However, the guy that couldn't play it might be an accomplished jazz player who had never played the song in question before, whilst the other may have been learning the song for months but couldn't play anything else! So its all BS anyway! AAAARRRGGGGHH! I'm arguing with myself, I think!?

Anyway, all I know is I've heard some great music made by musicians with seemingly poor technique and battered gear, and I've heard music made by so-called virtuosos that's left me cold. Technique and theoretic knowledge is obviously desirable to help you realise your full potential as a musician, but its only one factor to be considered.

This equation sums the discussion up; A-B7(%13)+462-DX9/X12*DD¿ coconut$.

Nonsense.

:D

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357036661' post='1916495']
Is it possible to be better or worse than anyone in art? [/quote]

There are certainly measurable parameters by which we can compare individual players. Whether it be the number of notes per second, the distance of hand span, the accuracy of playing a specific piece of written music or a number of similar (meaningless IMO) variables.

The more important question is "why would we wish to do so?".

Music (like art) [i]can[/i] be all things to all people. OK, it will never be the [i]same[/i] thing to all people, but that is part of the joy of it.

To attempt to measure the unmeasurable is futile. But having said that, we all (as individuals) probably have our own ideas about who [i]we[/i] think is better than whomsoever else... but that doesn't make us correct, of course. But I think you know that.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1357163703' post='1918597']
...any criticism of any of the following (in no particular order):

Mark King
Jaco Pastorius
Pino Palladino
Geddy Lee

...will result in a lifetime of scorn and derision B)[/quote]

Really? Oh dear. Three on that list really get on my tits! :D