Why become a member? ×

Just one bass?

Guest MoJo

I have two Precisions, but only ever take one to gigs and rehearsals. I took a "backup" to gigs for years, but never, [i]ever[/i] needed one, not once.

To be honest a spare [i]amp[/i] is more likely to be required. It's the only part of my kit that's ever let me down during gig.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I've just the one bass. My second neck has now arrived so I've not got fretted and fretless available.

[IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/jimryan88/image-10_zpse956caf5.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/jimryan88/image-10_zps8d45900f.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1356965986' post='1915736']
I have two Precisions, but only ever take one to gigs and rehearsals. I took a "backup" to gigs for years, but never, [i]ever[/i] needed one, not once.

To be honest a spare [i]amp[/i] is more likely to be required. It's the only part of my kit that's ever let me down during gig.
[/quote]

I think it's funny how our experiences cloud our judgement. So far 3 bass players have experienced bass failures at gigs, one a bass failure at home and only one has experienced an amp failure. Frrm that small sample I would say bass failure more likely. Although I've had a fuse fail in a 'kettle' lead by accidentally picking up a 5A lead that was lying around - so add a spare power lead to my list.

I have a DI in my bag, worst case I'll play through the PA, albeit at lower volume.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1356971395' post='1915848']
As I stated earlier in the thread, I've just the one bass. My second neck has now arrived so I've not got fretted and fretless available.
[/quote]

Cool looking bass but doesn't it get anoying having to keep swapping the necks?

'mono-bassist'...that must of made me a 'poly-bassist'.....I'm puzzled, I didn't think you could have just the one [b][i]William-No-Mates [/i][/b]bass?

....actually it would be ohh so easy if one could be happy with just the one bass, but bass's are just soooo addictive...if only I'd known when I had a play on that 1st Yamaha RBX-374....one play 'n your in my grasp!

Do guitarists have the same issues?

I have a 4 and a 5. I would never ever go to a gig without a spare, it's unprofessional in my opinion! Yeah it's highly unlikely you'll need to use it, but the possibility is there.

It'dake more sense to have a spare 5er, but I don't need more than 2 basses and I could never get rid of the blazer; I love it too much!

Truckstop

Two basses here - 1 Ric, 1 Precision.

Had periods of 1, and small periods of more, but never that many TBH.

I could easily just live with the Ric - and it has crossed my mind to do so - but I do love the P, great bass.

I always take two to the studio, so that's a good reason for a backup. Also, when I had a bit of work done recently when I had the 1, I was 'bassless' for a day or so - and that was an awful experience! Bit of a panic as well as I had a gig coming up, and just had to bank on it being back in time.

Never take a backup to gigs - and I suppose the backup amp is the PA......

.....and 1 bass ownership always leads to increased GAS IMHO! :)

Having a couple's come in useful. Lent one to a mate who's got an interest in learning it, when I've been in bands I've left one round the practise space to make travelling easier (always been at another band member's house and I make sure it's alright with them first) got my Precision for recording and another one I'm intending to do up (read: get working).

But yeah, could definately function with just one, and it'd mean I might be able to move about the bedroom again.

I have only ever had to use it twice due to string snap through a set and to electrics failing (input) but I always take a spare.

The idea of playing someone's wedding and having to stop during a set and re-string or even play the rest of a set without a bass is not an option. I would not expect bride and grooms friends and family to be looking to book us.

Worst case with amp fail you could go through the PA to see the rest of the gig through, albeit quieter than through a bass amp.

I have only ever had to use it twice, this was due to string snap in the middle of a set and due to the electrics failing (input), but I always take a spare.

The idea of playing someone's wedding and having to stop during a set and re-string or even play the rest of a set without a bass is not an option. I would not expect bride and groom's friends and family to be looking to book us for anything else.

Worst case with amp fail you could go through the PA to see the rest of the gig through, albeit quieter than through a bass amp.

The spare can be mega cheap but as long as it does enough to get you through the gig it is worth it. You never need get it out its case until the emergency happens.

Yup! Another one-bass-only guy here!

best,
bert

PS, the new Bongo is not in my sig yet.
:lol:

Seriously though, I don't care whether I end up with one or many, but right now I'm trying everything I can get my hands on.
Time will tell, but I do get the feeling that there's a lot of fun in the differences.
Edit: Oh, and if I was in a performing band, I'd always have the cricket bat with me for backup. So many things have gone wrong at gigs that backup seems like a must in my case. Backup for myself, preferably, but still.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Well, I'm down to three now. The fretless BB405 has found a new home. Just need to re-home it's fretted sibling and I'll be happy with the two BB414's I have left.

i got 4,tbird wich is my main,i have a mid 70s lawsuit rickenfacker wich is my baby but might become main for this year,these usualy live at our rehersal space,ric lives in its case.i have a cheap ibanez gsr 200 wich i play at home,and have a project westone thunder i,wich needs a nut and wiring,im becoming bit of a john entwistle,wont ever sell a bass!,i kinda regret selling a pbass years ago,im thinking of buying a 4001/3 i have the money but cant part with a grand!!, i did take the ric to a few gigs as bup as the tbird was snapping A strings,but changed the sadle and since been ok,so stopped taking it,leaving a vintage bass in the back room of a toilet gig dont buzz me!! so back to taking one now!!

I really love the idea of having one old bass that has age and mojo , I love my old antoria jazz , but do get gas from time to time , moved a few on as they just didn't fit me ! Sure there will be others !

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1357014407' post='1916421']
Oh no, not this again :(
[/quote]
I didn't see it last time round and wouldn't of thought of searching for it , seems to be a fair few people commenting on it so not all bad !

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1357045151' post='1916644']
Well, I'm down to three now. The fretless BB405 has found a new home. Just need to re-home it's fretted sibling and I'll be happy with the two BB414's I have left.
[/quote]

Well that didn't go as planned.......

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bassman2790/20130101_174335-1.jpg[/IMG]

*edit* happy with the THREE BB414's I have

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1357061787' post='1917003']

I didn't see it last time round and wouldn't of thought of searching for it , seems to be a fair few people commenting on it so not all bad !
[/quote]

Well, if you believe everything you read then I'm a profligate, capitalist pigdog for having the audacity to own more than one bass, and an irresponsible, un professional idiot for not taking a backup bass to the gig.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1357072876' post='1917245']
Well, if you believe everything you read then I'm a profligate, capitalist pigdog for having the audacity to own more than one bass, and an irresponsible, un professional idiot for not taking a backup bass to the gig.
[/quote]Dude! do u have a red fender p bass......p standing for peoples bass!! anyway i have plenty of others i want...ric cheyanne/ladaro....ovation magnum....as for vintage bass my facker has many a yoof admiring it it hues a glow as it sits ant they keep a safe distance oooing and ahhhhhring!!!