Why become a member? ×

Alembic

marcus bell

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1380474510' post='2225846']

The Brown bass is a Series bass and all standard/omega shaped Series basses are chambered to reduce weight. I'm not sure if other body shape variants (like the Entwhistle bass above) are.
[/quote]

I had my custom Triple Omega (essentially a Sig Deluxe with options) built chambered but it was still a good 11lbs or so.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1380474510' post='2225846']
The Brown bass is a Series bass and all standard/omega shaped Series basses are chambered to reduce weight. I'm not sure if other body shape variants (like the Entwhistle bass above) are.
[/quote]
I think you will find the Brown bass that Stanley Clarke had was a series I bass. The brown bass that Alembic make is based on that bass but is not a series bass. It has hum cancelling pickups as opposed to what alembic refer to as their single coils, and uses their anniversary electronics which is similar due to two volumes and two filters with Q switches, but not the same as the series bass system.
[url="http://alembic.stores.yahoo.net/brownbass.html"]http://alembic.store.../brownbass.html[/url]

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

Brown Bass and chambers...hmm...I honestly don't know (I'll try to find out) but it would explain a lot. First, the BB is a relatively light bass. Second, I've only played the one that I have, but it's surprisingly resonant and loud when played without amplification - it has an 'organic' and woody tone with a prominent fundamental. My other Alembics sound fairly dead and uninspiring when played acoustically. Agree with Jazzyvee re: BB electronics (Anniversary) - very similar to Series I but a one position boost, hum cancelling pickups, and a good deal less expensive. 4000, ahh, yes rosewood was the default facing on SCs (I'd forgotten) -weird that I've played mainly cocobolo versions: indeed, the only non-cocobolo SC I've played is the buckeye. Nice to see these getting some discussion - my favourite basses by a very long way (despite the idiosyncrasies)

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1380527053' post='2226430']
Brown Bass and chambers...hmm...I honestly don't know (I'll try to find out) but it would explain a lot. First, the BB is a relatively light bass. Second, I've only played the one that I have, but it's surprisingly resonant and loud when played without amplification - it has an 'organic' and woody tone with a prominent fundamental. My other Alembics sound fairly dead and uninspiring when played acoustically. Agree with Jazzyvee re: BB electronics (Anniversary) - very similar to Series I but a one position boost, hum cancelling pickups, and a good deal less expensive. 4000, ahh, yes rosewood was the default facing on SCs (I'd forgotten) -weird that I've played mainly cocobolo versions: indeed, the only non-cocobolo SC I've played is the buckeye. Nice to see these getting some discussion - my favourite basses by a very long way (despite the idiosyncrasies)
[/quote]

All the Brown Bass builds I've followed on the Alembic Club - I'm a member - have been chambered. The one I played was so much lighter than my SC, it was like wearing half the bass.

Prior to ordering my custom Alembic (10 years ago now!) Susan Wickersham told me over the phone that all Signature basses used to be solid but no longer were. I specified chambered for my build, just in case. All Series basses are chambered and unless specified otherwise always have been, so far as I'm aware. Of course in keeping with Alembic's 'build anything' ethos I'm sure if you really wanted solid you could have it.

If you want to find out about Alembics go to the Alembic Club and browse to your heart's content. The 'Factory to Customer' section is fab. It's a great site and the people over there are very helpful; Mica Wickersham chimes in often. Or you could always drop Mica an email.

Edited by 4000

I love Alembic basses , but I find the more recent designs much more comfortable to play that the classic ones such the full-sized Series basses and the S.C which I grew up fantasising about, but soon found out didn't suit me at all when I was eventually able to buy them . The new Balance K Omega body shape looks exquisite though, and has reignited my Alembic lust . It's more compact, better balanced and lighter , too , so a big improvement all round in those respects.

Edited by Dingus
  • Like 1

I agree that the old shapes had some issues; the Small Standard shape (SCs) tends to balance poorly and the Standard shape tends to be very heavy with the first fret being a fair old stretch for some, although I love the aesthetics of both.

The Balance K is a lovely rationalisation and if I could ever afford another that's probably what I'd go for. In my opinion the best Alembics have an Art Nouveau quality that I really love, but which I appreciate is possibly too ornate for some.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1380543640' post='2226737']
I agree that the old shapes had some issues; the Small Standard shape (SCs) tends to balance poorly and the Standard shape tends to be very heavy with the first fret being a fair old stretch for some, although I love the aesthetics of both.

The Balance K is a lovely rationalisation and if I could ever afford another that's probably what I'd go for. In my opinion the best Alembics have an Art Nouveau quality that I really love, but which I appreciate is possibly too ornate for some.
[/quote]

The Art Nouveau observation is a good one . The unique aestheitic of those original Alembic basses is like a fusion of that style with that of the less well known movement known a American Arts And Crafts. It's very prevailant in the furniture and structural woodworking in a lot of older homes in Northern California where Alembic was conceived , and I cannot help but think it must have influenced their overall design aestheitic.

Edited by Dingus
  • Like 1

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1380472821' post='2225793']
THIS remains my dream....

[/quote]
I never thought I'd be able to lust after such a gauche-looking instrument...until I heard one being played:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96TjWtm7kSQ

Trouble is, for all the talk about the bass itself sounding "immense" or "huge," I do wonder how much of that is down to Entwistle's enormous wall of valve amps in this particular case!

• Like 1

• 10 years later...
On 24/12/2012 at 18:12, Dingus said:

Bear in mind that Alembic started out as a kind of instrument technology collective for Bay Area musicians rather than as a strictly commercial undertaking and you get some idea of how their unique approach to just about everything has come about .

Large quantities of LSD?

• Like 2

On 06/03/2024 at 14:27, Baloney Balderdash said:

Large quantities of LSD?

The heady perfume of exotic wood shavings.  I miss these - currently out of reach.  Certainly not to everybody's taste but to me, Alembic build a lovely instrument

F7772D17-D398-4A6E-8B77-79216C71DE29_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c2c26c8ab50e1169e16b31dbce6ec4d0.jpeg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, three said:

The heady perfume of exotic wood shavings.  I miss these - currently out of reach.  Certainly not to everybody's taste but to me, Alembic build a lovely instrument

F7772D17-D398-4A6E-8B77-79216C71DE29_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c2c26c8ab50e1169e16b31dbce6ec4d0.jpeg

That quite some control panels. ;)

But yes, they are beautiful instruments.

Personally I would love a Stanley Clarke signature short scale, if only I could ever get me any hopes of having that kind of money to spare.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

That quite some control panels. ;)

But yes, they are beautiful instruments.

Personally I would love a Stanley Clarke signature short scale, if only I could ever get me any hopes of having that kind of money to spare.

The SCs are gorgeous basses in my opinion - less complicated in terms of operation and on-the-fly adjustment, but playability (when they're well set-up) is sublime.  This is a little closer (in a storage unit!)

9A403DFF-DF5B-406B-AA7E-BC30393147B5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a3e2136496d91435ed430b934ef37801.jpeg

• Like 6

On 03/01/2013 at 20:36, jazzyvee said:

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1357231608' post='1919507']
This reads quite impressive.

I don't mean to be controversial and start a whole sequence of this and that, but why did it tarnish in the first place in only 9 years to a degree where they (Alembic) were unhappy with it ?
Would someone who lives in the European area be fit to get the same level of attention under warranty I wonder.....

http://basschat.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/%3C#EMO_DIR%23%3E/blush.png
[/quote]
At the time my bass was made apparently they were using a different plater for their hardware and the plater cut corners on some of their orders and unfortunately mine was one of those. Needless to say they don't use that company any longer. I think European owners would get the same attention. However if I remember correctly the owner pays shipping out to the USA and Alembic pays shipping back for warranty work.

I've had my bass for 11 years now and the plating still looks like new.

• Like 1