Why become a member? ×

Alembic

marcus bell

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356360849' post='1909504']
Because the amount of time and skill involved in making them and the quality of the materials used .
[/quote]

Even so..when you are quoting prices that would get you two Ken Smiths, two Wal's or 1 1/2 Fodera's (and thats just the Mark King model..not the REALLY expensive Series 1 or 2's) then purchasing one of these bad boys needs SERIOUS thought.

I have the Alembic t-shirt. Very heavy and unbalanced and a bit odd to play...but they sound great.

I would however say they are not built with any greater skill than about a trillion other luthiers instruments out there.

Just my tuppence worth. I am of the opinion that when bought new they are hugely overpriced - but its your money dude. Good luck.

Edited by White Cloud

Alembic basses might not be everybodies cup of tea , but the price comes very much from the way that they are built . They use a labour-intensive process that takes a lot of skilled man ( and woman ) hours for each bass they produce , and so to maintain half decent profit margins the price is neccesarilly high . Add to that the top quality timbers and the fact that all the hardware and electronics they use are proprietary rather than bought- in packages from other manufacturers and you begin to see where the price comes from . Alembic are a unique company with a unique and uncompromising approach to instrument making ; they sincerely believe that if they did it any other way then they just wouldn't sound like Alembics anymore , and in my book that kind of integrity is always a good thing . Their basses are certainly an aquired taste , and their older more traditional designs don't suit me personally , but they are great basses nevertheless . I much prefer the more recent designs like the Esscence Bass , and always bear in mind the Alembic are the original custom bass builders and will bend over backwards to help you design your dream Alembic regardless of what model it is based on . Alembic basses are quite delicate and need careful use and maintainance , but so are a lot of other brands of high -end bass in my experience . The Alembic is not for those who want to beat it and forget about it , that's for sure . Also bear in mind that the quoted retail prices are only a guide ; you get a big discount off that when purchasing through an Alembic dealer if you live in the U.S.A . Other bass builders have caught up with Alembic in certain respects when it comes to high quality custom basses , but Alembic are still a preeminent bass builder . One thing is certain - nothing sounds quite like an Alembic .

• Like 1

All about how much you consider a bass to be a personal investment, all in the eyes of the beholder, if you're unhappy with a price of an instrument then perhaps it's an indication for you to grab your lathe and woodwork tools and make yourself a similar thing, or maybe keep on saving.

Alembics don't interest me, Mark King's sound is probably the polar opposite of the kind of thing I go for. Jimmy Johnson on the other hand gets an incredible tone from his and it briefly piqued my interest, until my interest slumped again but moments later.

Have alembic not heard of the global credit crunch? I wud love a really expensive bass but if they want me to buy one and play it as badly as i try not to then they will have to change the rules and drop their price.
Dummy now spat firmly from cradle.
Wot about a boxing day sale? Do they do cheap copies?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356365451' post='1909570']
Alembic basses might not be everybodies cup of tea , but the price comes very much from the way that they are built . They use a labour-intensive process that takes a lot of skilled man ( and woman ) hours for each bass they produce , and so to maintain half decent profit margins the price is neccesarilly high . Add to that the top quality timbers and the fact that all the hardware and electronics they use are proprietary rather than bought- in packages from other manufacturers and you begin to see where the price comes from . Alembic are a unique company with a unique and uncompromising approach to instrument making ; they sincerely believe that if they did it any other way then they just wouldn't sound like Alembics anymore , and in my book that kind of integrity is always a good thing . Their basses are certainly an aquired taste , and their older more traditional designs don't suit me personally , but they are great basses nevertheless . I much prefer the more recent designs like the Esscence Bass , and always bear in mind the Alembic are the original custom bass builders and will bend over backwards to help you design your dream Alembic regardless of what model it is based on . Alembic basses are quite delicate and need careful use and maintainance , but so are a lot of other brands of high -end bass in my experience . The Alembic is not for those who want to beat it and forget about it , that's for sure . Also bear in mind that the quoted retail prices are only a guide ; you get a big discount off that when purchasing through an Alembic dealer if you live in the U.S.A . Other bass builders have caught up with Alembic in certain respects when it comes to high quality custom basses , but Alembic are still a preeminent bass builder . One thing is certain - nothing sounds quite like an Alembic .
[/quote]

Pretty much agree with the above.

Alembic set the ball rolling back in the day regarding hand built basses. I'm old enough to remember when hand made basses were a huge novelty and not many builders were doing it. At that time Alembics were something that you dreamt of and lusted after. Nowadays however there are literally countless makers building basses every bit as good...and for considerably less. I tried Alembic but it didnt work out for me...it is subjective though.

More strength to Alembic though. Their order book is full so plenty of folks want them. I would however always buy used if I really wanted one because I firmly believe they are very overpriced new.

GAS is a terrible thing and it all depends on what you want, I have some nice gear but I dont drink (much), smoke (used to), dont wear branded clothes other than maybe trainers and my car cost £930 3 years ago. If the Alembic gas gets you then you can never say never!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

They are delicate in the sense that there is a lot to go wrong on them . The electronics on a full-spec Alembic ( and even some of the lesser models ) are very complex by most standards , and it can be difficult to get them fixed properly by anyone except Alembic . Also , the necks can be prone to needing regular adjustment according to some reports , and the dual truss rods can be a bit of a challenge . Bear in mind that Alembic started out as a kind of instrument technology collective for Bay Area musicians rather than as a strictly commercial undertaking and you get some idea of how their unique approach to just about everything has come about . A lot of the things we take for granted nowadays such as neck-thru body construction , use of exotic woods , brass bridges and active electronics were all [i][b]invented [/b][/i]and / or pioneered by Alembic and considering that , you begin to realise their massive contribution to the industry .

Edited by Dingus
  • Like 1

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356369139' post='1909628']
A lot of the things we take for granted nowadays such as neck-thru body construction , use of exotic woods , brass bridges and active electronics were all [i][b]invented [/b][/i]and / or pioneered by Alembic and considering that , you begin to realise their massive contribution to the industry .
[/quote]

Thats a list of everything I dislike in a bass other than the electronics and even then I dont like fancy 10 knob para super jizzbucker laptop in the back jobs either!

But again if the GAS gets you then thats it, It only takes one Youtube clip to change your mind :o

Edited by stingrayPete1977

They are delicate in the sense that there is a lot to go wrong on them . The electronics on a full-spec Alembic ( and even some of the lesser models ) are very complex by most standards , and it can be difficult to get them fixed properly by anyone except Alembic . Also , the necks can be prone to needing regular adjustment according to some reports , and the dual truss rods can be a bit of a challenge . Bear in mind that Alembic started out as a kind of instrument technology collective for Bay Area musicians rather than as a strictly commercial undertaking and you get some idea of how their unique approach to just about everything has come about . A lot of the things we take for granted nowadays such as neck-thru body construction , use of exotic woods , brass bridges and active electronics were all [i][b]invented [/b][/i]and / or pioneered by Alembic and considering that , you begin to realise their massive contribution to the industry .
[/quote]

Dont forget that Alembic also pioneered the use of Graphite necks (in conjuction with what is now the Modulus company). Yes they pioneered so much of what is now industry standard and have earned their kudos imho.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1356366035' post='1909577']
....if you're unhappy with a price of an instrument then perhaps it's an indication for you to grab your lathe and woodwork tools and make yourself a similar thing, or maybe keep on saving...[/quote]

Or buy something more affordable. I just don't like the look of them. Or Fedoras. Or Ken Smiths.
I fully realise this makes me crass and shallow, but there it is.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1356374445' post='1909721']
Or buy something more affordable. I just don't like the look of them. Or Fedoras. Or Ken Smiths.
I fully realise this makes me crass and shallow, but there it is.
[/quote]

It doesnt mean you are crass at all....it means you have a different taste. If we were all the same it would be a boring world!!

Anyway, the name playing the bass is more important than the name on the headstock.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356368371' post='1909612']
Also. Dingus mentioned they were delicate.
Delicate how?
[/quote]
They're not delicate at all. They were designed to be the best engineered instruments it was possible to make in the mid 70's - both structurally and sonically. They haven't changed much in the last 40 years or so because they haven't needed to. Every plaudit that could be extended to Leo Fender could be extended even further to Alembic. I agree that they're idiosyncratic but I really like mine. They're expensive because they've decided to position themselves at the highest end of the market. If you want the brand, you pay the price. Looking at their options list, I doubt very much that some prices could be justified in terms of labour and materials.

Late 70's Series 1 instruments can be picked up for very reasonable prices if you keep your eyes peeled. But forget about slapping on one regularly unless you get the pickup selector relocated away from the horn.

[/quote]
I bow to a lot of knowledge here and I respect that Alembic did it all and laid the groundwork for more, so hats off to them. No complaints or dispute.
But why spend so much hard saved money to have a delicate bass with a likely to be problematic truss rod system and electronics that NASA would be happy to orbit the earth with.
I'm not being sarcastic here, it's just that I am a little dismayed that one of my bubbles has been burst a little as I thought that for that amount of money it would be a cast iron workaholic. I considered a secondhand Orion 5 string a while ago and on reading this I'm glad I didn't buy it. My basic bass maintenance and tweaking skills would probably have ruined the thoroughbred before it played half a dozen gigs and I would have been left with a mess.
Seems Alembic have it sown up. Charge so much for your product that the only people who can afford to play them are the people who have bank accounts that have at least seven figures before the decimal point. Then when (not if) they go wrong you have a blank cheque to fix them at the price of a new Warwick or USA Jazz bass.
:yarr: - Are they based in the Carribean ?

Edited by bassman344

What price any product can be sold for is based purely on what the market is prepared to pay.

In terms of bass guitars there's myth and there's reality. Myth will help push up prices but reality will hit home when neck dive, average tone and poor quality of build become the reality they always were.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an Alembic but I'm lucky enough to know that this quality of build and attention to what matters in the real world is available cheaper and closer to home.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1356376311' post='1909744']
They're not delicate at all. They were designed to be the best engineered instruments it was possible to make in the mid 70's - both structurally and sonically. They haven't changed much in the last 40 years or so because they haven't needed to. Every plaudit that could be extended to Leo Fender could be extended even further to Alembic. I agree that they're idiosyncratic but I really like mine. They're expensive because they've decided to position themselves at the highest end of the market. If you want the brand, you pay the price. Looking at their options list, I doubt very much that some prices could be justified in terms of labour and materials.

Late 70's Series 1 instruments can be picked up for very reasonable prices if you keep your eyes peeled. But forget about slapping on one regularly unless you get the pickup selector relocated away from the horn.
[/quote]

Alembics committment to the ultimate quality is beyond question , but my ( limited ) experience and knowledge of Alembics is that they need taking good care of in so mucjh as they are far more breakable than more robust Fender -style designs . The angled headstock is prone to breaking if they are dropped , the electrics are good quality but will eventually wear and need servicing and /or replacing , and some of the 70s Alembics are now having problems with the neck laminations shifting slightly apart , according to some reports . Most fancy custom basses do need care and consideration in how they are treated and maintained , I'm not just singling out Alembic . My Wal basses , for example , were also quite finnicky and needed periodic servicing by Electric Wood .

Used Alembics are indeed well worth considering if they "fit" you as a player , most certainly . Alembic basses have a special allure for me , and they are without question basses with a special sound , and I'm just sorry that I find the classic ones like I always wanted when I was a kid so uncomfortable .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356376418' post='1909745']
I bow to a lot of knowledge here and I respect that Alembic did it all and laid the groundwork for more, so hats off to them. No complaints or dispute.
But why spend so much hard saved money to have a delicate bass with a likely to be problematic truss rod system and electronics that NASA would be happy to orbit the earth with.
I'm not being sarcastic here, it's just that I am a little dismayed that one of my bubbles has been burst a little as I thought that for that amount of money it would be a cast iron workaholic. I considered a secondhand Orion 5 string a while ago and on reading this I'm glad I didn't buy it. My basic bass maintenance and tweaking skills would probably have ruined the thoroughbred before it played half a dozen gigs and I would have been left with a mess.
Seems Alembic have it sown up. Charge so much for your product that the only people who can afford to play them are the people who have bank accounts that have at least seven figures before the decimal point. Then when (not if) they go wrong you have a blank cheque to fix them at the price of a new Warwick or USA Jazz bass.
:yarr: - Are they based in the Carribean ?
[/quote]

Please don't get the impression that I am trying to undermine Alembic in any way with these observations , far from it . You would be hard pressed to find any similar design bass that is a truly robust low -maintainence workhorse . The more straightforward Alembics like the Orion will probably be comparable with other high end basses of similar design in terms of build and reliability . The variable Q filter-based preamp and external power supply are the tricky bits of electrical gubbins and you have to go further up the range to get those . The people who own and run Alembic are the same people that started the company and they are lovely people who take a lot of pride in what they do . It has been their lifetimes work and they have resisted all pressure to compromise or cash in on what they do . The price reflects their costs in producing each instrument and their refusal to do things on the cheap even on the lower cost instruments , and as I previously mentioned , don't confuse the price you would pay here for what you can get an Alembic for in real terms in the USA . They aren't cheap in America , but they are nowhere near as expensive as they are here , all things considered .

Edited by Dingus

Maybe someday hopefully I will be in a postion to purchase and find out for myself.
Thanks for the candour Dingus. I know you ain't dissin' them, just an observation on my part that they have priced themselves as new so out of reach for the ordinary everyday man / woman to be able to play and maintain; and why would they change when the Paul McCartneys of this world could buy six at a time and only feel a financial speedbump. It's good business sense for them.
My bubble is burst though . . . . :( I'm an also ran.

If it's any consolation , I think I have seen Orions secondhand in the Gallery in London for not much over a grand , if I remember correctly . At those prices you could take a risk on one and if you didn't like it you will always get your money back out of it . There are plenty floating around that people brought in from the States before the crash when you could get two dollars to the pound so used Alembics could be brought over from shops or ebay sellers in the States for silly prices . If you want to try an Alembic I wouldn't despair . When it comes to basses , it's ultimately a buyers market by virtue of the sheer quantity of used gear out there .