Why become a member? ×

Flats

uncle psychosis

I had the "Flats Epiphany" a couple of weeks ago - LaBella FS's on my SG and every day they're just getting better and better. I only restrung the Rick with rounds just before Christmas (so it's another couple of years till they're due a change, lol) but I'm really tempted to just say s*d it and swap them out for flats. Any recommendations on flats for a 4003? I like the LaBellas but willing to experiment - sounds like Laklands have a lot of fans, but thinking Chromes might suit the Rick better? My BH500 and BC cabs have a VERY strong bottom end so I tend to EQ the bass down and the mids and highs up to compensate and I get the impression that Chromes are quite bright which could help even things out a bit. Anyone used them on a Rick?

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1358868255' post='1946289']
I use fender flats on my Rickenfaker. Sounds luvverly.
[/quote]

Fender flats? On a Rick? Is that like, legal? :)

Interesting idea though - I hadn't even considered Fenders. Do you use the standard gauge? (.045 - .105)

Nope the 9050MLs, 50-100, they're lovely, not too thick, but doesn't lose it on the top G.
Only 18 quid a go these days as well.
Quite bright, so you can slap the buggers too if you're that way inclined.

Not sure if it's legal, but it's a faker so I reckon the rickenwaffe are already after me anyway :)

La Bella 760 FL's on my Rick..love it. Just the right tension and feel. They are on 3 out of my 4 basses.. seem to suit me most.
I've tried a few other sets of flats trying to get it right on the Rik, TI's but they felt too low tension on the rick (fine on the jazz), the GHS precision flats were a little too muddy, then some Ghs brite flats that were neither here nor there in sound or feel, I went back to the La Bella's and they felt and sounded just right.

Edited by Highfox

A couple of points on the Lakland Joe Osborn flats.

First, they're designed to cope with both 34" and 35" scale basses, which I don't think is the case with the La Bella flats. That makes them particularly handy for Overwater, Mike Lull, etc.

Second, depending on how you reach the relevant screen of the Lakland website, it isn't that obvious that their flats are actually Joe Osborn signature. At one point last week I thought they must have stopped doing them. :rolleyes:

I hate flobadob low B strings. I have a set of Joe Osborn medium flats on my Mike Lull and the 128-gauge low B is just fine and dandy for me.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1358922548' post='1947032']
La Bella 760 FL's on my Rick..love it. Just the right tension and feel. They are on 3 out of my 4 basses.. seem to suit me most.
I've tried a few other sets of flats trying to get it right on the Rik, TI's but they felt too low tension on the rick (fine on the jazz), the GHS precision flats were a little too muddy, then some Ghs brite flats that were neither here nor there in sound or feel, I went back to the La Bella's and they felt and sounded just right.
[/quote]
Good feedback, thanks. Do you use the standard gauge or have you also gone for .050s?

I really like the LaBellas on the SG but was looking for something different on the Rick purely so that I get a bigger differentiation between the two basses (when they were both strung with rounds, I never played the SG on the basis that it sounded too similar to the Rick, without actually being the Rick. Flats have moved the sound completely and I so like the feel of the flats that I want them on the Rick but want something that'll be different to the SG. If any of that made any kind of sense....).

I might give Fenders a go - D'addario Chromes are another one on the list to try.

Thanks for the input guys

Edited by Skinnyman

The la Bella's I use are FL's 43/60/82/104. The G's not too thin for me.
The Fender Flats I have never tried and the Roto's not for many years now. D'addario Chromes I didn't get on with for some reason, might of been a heavy gauge I tried, they were very high tension.
I'm going to try the Joe Osbournes at some point and see if they give me what the GHS Precisions haven't.

Fun and games :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359029473' post='1948634']
Top Tip: Grease from a KFC is cheaper, and delicious too!
[/quote]

I played flute for many years before picking up a bass and a teacher once taught me a great (if icky) tip. Moving from low C to low C# on a flute involves a slighty tricky rolling of your pinky from one key to another, but is made infinitely easier if, beforehand, you rub your pinky down the side of your nose to pick up some nice greasy lubrication :lol: