Why become a member? ×

EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi

jaydentaku

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1355264441' post='1896225']
DI Out? If this doesn't have speaker emulation on the DI then you're gonna have a bad day. Definitely some cool options on this but I'm still puzzled why it has a direct out.
[/quote]

plus the one, not that i think it's going to stop me getting one !

Edited by ahpook

Not sure about this personally. Every decent boutique Big Muff clone has adjustable mids for a very good reason, not quite sure why they didn't include it on this. The DI out seems pointless for this pedal as well. The Crossover is a nice idea in principle, but having spent a lot of time using a blended crossover on a Big Muff I again can't see it being that useful, certainly not worthy of an extra footswitch though.

Overall I don't think it's a big enough improvement over the Bass Big Muff to warrant the extra footprint, and I reckon they would have been better off just improving the BBM.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1355387848' post='1897566']
What is crossover?
[/quote]

It works in tandem with the 'blend' function on this pedal - it let's you roll off highs/mids from your clean sound (leaving chunky bass) and filter any messy lows from the distorted sound, so the idea is that you'll get a better balance of the two - fat clean bottom end with big dirty miffed up mids/high end.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1355432499' post='1898448']

It works in tandem with the 'blend' function on this pedal - it let's you roll off highs/mids from your clean sound (leaving chunky bass) and filter any messy lows from the distorted sound, so the idea is that you'll get a better balance of the two - fat clean bottom end with big dirty miffed up mids/high end.
[/quote]

That's the idea, but what happens in practice is:

- You end up with less volume hitting the fuzz circuit, resulting in less gain and less distortion.

- The mids and highs are very compressed due to the fuzz but the lows are not. The heavier you play, the heavier the bass, which might be undesirable.

- When you hit that crossover foot switch, expect a volume drop since you are rolling off highs from the clean portion and lows from the fuzz portion.

This was my experience of playing around with the original BBM with an SFX X&M crossover blender. In my experience, this particular fuzz retains plenty of low end by itself. A small amount of clean blend is required to add a bit of definition and dynamics to the sound, but using a crossover did not work out for me. Subtle usage of it though could certainly help situations where you have a high output bright active bass and need to both reduce the clean highs slightly to help the signals mesh together and reduce the bass hitting the fuzz to prevent getting overloaded and mushy.

Still, at least this version has a proper blend unlike the original which requires modding to make usable!

Personally, I think one of the better improvements over their basic muff (depending on how well it's implemented) could be the noise gate.
It only takes £2 of parts and 20 mins soldering time to put a master volume on a normal BBM, even for an idiot, and the crossover would seem not to add anything for me personally, so the gate is the only tempter IMO. I would have far preferred them putting a mids pot in (ideally an adjustable frequency one !).
But at least they are trying, and showing willing to try and better things.

It would only take £2 of parts and 20 minutes to add a gate also, if they are using the method from [url]rkerkhof.ruhosting.nl/Taas/Mods/Big%20Muff.htm[/URL]:

[quote]Noise gate mod: This mod will quieten the Muff while not playing, thus a noise gate. To do this, add a 100k trimpot (wired as a variable resistor) parallel to the 100k to ground of the second gain stage (R14). The trimpot can be adjusted to taste to get the max noise gate effect.[/quote]

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1355651505' post='1900844']
It would only take £2 of parts and 20 minutes to add a gate also, if they are using the method from rkerkhof.ruhosting.nl/Taas/Mods/Big%20Muff.htm:
[/quote]

Hmmm. Interesting. Have you tried this ? Any specific links I can look at with pics etc ? I tried the partial link above but couldn't get anywhere with it.