Why become a member? ×

Slade at the BBC - Heads up

daz

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1355481346' post='1898873']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVMygJ90UK0[/media]
[/quote]

That's excellent Paul - never seen that.

Let's be fair .......... whatever your views on the image , the songs or whatever - which of us wouldn;t want to work with an 'on the money' drummer like that ?

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355487953' post='1899019']
which of us wouldn;t want to work with an 'on the money' drummer like that ?[/quote]

He's in the process of working out a deal with Natal drums, via Marshall, right now, AFAIK he's using Pearl mostly though some venues just get told to provide a kit to a spec.
In their heavy rock days he had a custom built, chrome Ludwig kit that he paid £14k for. It was sold via Bonhams to a fan in Germany a few years ago.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355489853' post='1899076']
He's in the process of working out a deal with Natal drums, via Marshall, right now, AFAIK he's using Pearl mostly though some venues just get told to provide a kit to a spec.
In their heavy rock days he had a custom built, chrome Ludwig kit that he paid £14k for. It was sold via Bonhams to a fan in Germany a few years ago.
[/quote]

I stood behind him as he tuned and adjusted (what I assume was) a supplied Peal kit at the glam fest thing I did with them at the 'Bootfest' at Nostell Priory , near Wakey. He can't half get his head down , that lad. Wears a mouth guard too - I expect to stop him grinding them down !

I remember wishing that John Berry would catch a sudden dose of altitude sickness and somebody would say 'is there a bass player in the house'. !!

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355319739' post='1896854']
Andy's Sweet' singer is Pete Lincoln, he's not a yank, Geordie I think but he doesn't sound like it; before him it was Tony O'Hora who is now on keys & 2nd guitar & before him it was Mal McNulty who is now on vox with Slade. They should get revolving doors in them nostalgia bands these days!
I've been going to Sweet gigs for about 8 years + & this is the best line-up I've heard. Steve Priest, the original bassist has his own Sweet in the USA but it seems to be more of a heavy rock band doing Sweet covers with some bloke on bass wearing a cape - I don't rate them.
[/quote]

The bloke in the cape is Steve Priest....he's put a few pounds on since 1977...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-dm3XkvJ-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsT6AhdOoEw

nice bass though.

[quote name='urban Bassman' timestamp='1355491944' post='1899134']
The bloke in the cape is Steve Priest....he's put a few pounds on since 1977.[/quote]

Yeah, sorry - I should have written "some bloke" in inv commas, to point as - as you say - that he's hard to recognise now. Nice enough guy in the few emails I'm exchanged with him a few years ago, but seems to have the daggers out for Andy Scott. Andy has tried to make inroads towards a reconciliation he says just to get a slagging in return.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355490747' post='1899102']
I stood behind him as he tuned and adjusted (what I assume was) a supplied Peal kit at the glam fest thing I did with them at the 'Bootfest' at Nostell Priory , near Wakey. He can't half get his head down , that lad. Wears a mouth guard too - I expect to stop him grinding them down ![/quote]

Yeah, he stopped the gum chewing he was known for in the 70's cos it was giving him grief, presumably the gumshield is to stop the habit of grinding. He's a grand bloke; doesn't drink but happy to get his round in .......... so that'll be 3 lagers, 2 bitters and a cup of tea please. :blink: .... or sparkling water.
I took my son to see him in Glasgow a few years ago, they swapped notes on their respective Pearl kits for quite a while & Don always asks after him which considering the memory issues he still has after all these years is - to me - quite a compliment. Don's also in the process of publishing his auto-biography; which unlike "others" is - supposedly - the full story.
John Berry - now playing bass - for "Slade" is the world's longest working Big Issue seller as his day job ......................
on Eastenders.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355494233' post='1899196']
John Berry - now playing bass - for "Slade" is the world's longest working Big Issue seller as his day job ......................
on Eastenders.
[/quote]

John Berry - there's tall and there's taking the piss. His boom stand goes straight up ! I was using my own mic in a stand prepared for him and I had to pull it down about a foot. The Slade roadies set the hired-in Ampeg vol really low and I was using that too. I figured not to fcuk with it so I couldn't hear it at all..... but the sidefills !!!!!! Dear God , I think my ears are still whistling.

You can just about make out the sidefills in one of these pics.Can't remember but I assume the Marshall was for Malc , sure Dave Hill brought his own.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355495192' post='1899221']
John Berry - there's tall and there's taking the piss. His boom stand goes straight up ! I was using my own mic in a stand prepared for him and I had to pull it down about a foot. The Slade roadies set the hired-in Ampeg vol really low and I was using that too. I figured not to fcuk with it so I couldn't hear it at all..... but the sidefills !!!!!! Dear God , I think my ears are still whistling.

You can just about make out the sidefills in one of these pics.Can't remember but I assume the Marshall was for Malc , sure Dave Hill brought his own.[/quote]

John's about the same size as me :blush: , so we've swapped notes on what you can play without it looking like a ukelele, his predecessor Dave Glover was the same. Because of that, that was when he asked me to bring my JB bass in to try it at the soundcheck & maybe gig it. At the time Tim the tech said to him "You know what that is don't you?"
"Yeah, it's a John Birch"
"No, it's THE John Birch, the last one, it's worth four and a half grand",
John went pale, put it back in the case & refused to touch it, to much slagging off the whole band. :lol:

John's alright, he wouldn't have bothered if you'd cranked it a bit; there's only H that can get a bit precious in the wrong mood, but he's the face of the band now so is under a fair bit of pressure.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1355682877' post='1901347']
Some lovely stories going on here...please don't stop!![/quote]

Do you want the one about the very large roadie; if you ain't heard it, it may put you off your dinner...........It has been on here previously a while ago.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355494233' post='1899196']
. Don's also in the process of publishing his auto-biography; which unlike "others" is - supposedly - the full story.

[/quote]

That sounds interesting. Hope we don't wait too long.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1356110255' post='1907063']
That sounds interesting. Hope we don't wait too long.[/quote]

He lives in Denmark now as does the writer, which with the i'net etc shouldn't be an issue but could be logistically. He has just found a willing publisher so hopefully shouldn't be too long in arriving.
After his crash in '73 he still suffers now from no sense of smell, little sense of taste & very sporadic short term memory. To combat that he took to writing a daily diary, with constant reminders about what to do at one point, even now to "change your socks" supposedly.
He's by far the friendliest and most amenable of all the band - and there may be a few :ph34r: curtain-openers.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1356130945' post='1907365']
WHAT WAS THAT "RICK"? and yes I know I'm shouting!!!! :blink:
[/quote]

I thought it was only me who noticed that, must have left his bass at home (stolen?) luckily, someone had a '[s][b]Tokai[/b][/s] Rockinbetter' kicking around :P

Had a noodle on Come On Feel The Noize last night....another "I never knew what a busy bassline it was" song..cracking bassline