Why become a member? ×

Slade at the BBC - Heads up

daz

Put a tick in your diary, i-Phone, Free view hard drive box, Virgin box, or whatever you view TV with. For Friday 21 Dec at 9.50pm for an hour of Slade excellence from the BBC archives.

After that finishes, its straight into another 1970's treat in the form of the Slade movie [url="http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0072993/"]'Slade in Flame'[/url] :D

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1355125492' post='1894265']
Slade were at their very best live but sadly there seems very little proper live gig footage available of the many many gigs they did unless someone on here can amazingly ( and very gratefully ) prove me wrong.
[/quote]

If anyone can tell you, Big Stu can. He'll be along in a minute! :lol:

Xmas has just perked up for me. Best band ever and the sole reason for me to ever want to learn to play in a band.

Mama weer all crazee now is on the 2013 set list for us though I might chop it in half and finish with Cum on Feel the Noize.

It's also been mooted that we do a 3 part medely of Cigarettes and Alcohol with Rod singing , Get it on with Mart , our drummer singing , and me finishing it off with Take me Bak 'Ome. I like the idea of all 3 of us sharing a song - any opinions welcomed.

Slade were the first proper band that I got into back in the day. I was even in their fan club ! :rolleyes: :wub: :tatice_03:

Me and me mate bought some proper outrageous platform boots (cause we wanted to be Dave Hill) and decided that it would be a good idea to put segs on the heels and soles, which made it a bit like dancing on ice when we went anywhere near a tiled floor :blink: :facepalm:

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1355144091' post='1894515']
I like the fact that its pretty cool to like slade again. I was ( and am ) a huge fan and its nice to know there are many more bassists out there that were influenced by the noizy boys from Wolverhampton !!
[/quote]

It was simple to me. All the pop stars I was seeing on TOTP were dreary pretty boys and I didn't really like music at all. One day I saw these four pig ugly blokes dressed like absolute twats making a massive noisy racket with a circus clown screaming over the top.........the punchline beiing I was still singing the song next morning on my way to school.

I thought 'That's for me - I want my own little slice of that'.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1355146342' post='1894558']
I really wanna do Coz I luv u with twin guitars taking the violin parts, but guitards won't have it :( .
That thumping Gibbo with Jim attached to it in so many tracks is just wondrous stuff!
[/quote]

There's a good live vid of that from a (I think) German TV show that's well ballsy. Dave on Jim's EB bass. It's on the Wall of Hits compilation.

On the down side - James Blunt does it live !!!!!!......... if ever rhyming slang had real purpose !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugely underrated band and a very underrated vocalist Mr Holder is too. I had tickets to see them at Hammersmith Odeon in 1985 or so but they sadly cancelled at the last minute and then Noddy left.

Next I just need people to remember how bloody good Status Quo were before Rocking all over the World screwed everything up and I will be trendy and cool once more....

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1355150533' post='1894637']
Slade Alive, one of the best live albums ever (awaits the naysayers for what constitutes a live album) and I sweated buckets playing various air instruments to Slayed as a kid.

[/quote]

From what I read , Slade Alive was a deliberate attempt by the band and their manager - Chas Chandler - to make both a 'serious' album and have hit singles.rather than one or the other.

And in case you whippersnappers reading don't know - back then it was considered cheating to plunder singles from your current album. You saved your singles for the 'Greatest Hits' compilation.

A great way to get the full Slade live picture is the boxed CD set that includes all 3 bone fide live albums (Slade Alive , Slade Alive vol2 and Slade on Stage) plus the incredibly good and career ressurecting Slade Alive at Reading EP.

I managed to see Slade several times and vowed to be on the same bill one day. Never quite made it but I have done a couple of support slots for Slade 2 - with Don and Dave still in the band. I played both proudly wearing my Slade UK tour 1982 T shirt - which is little more than a rag.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1355130283' post='1894304']
If anyone can tell you, Big Stu can. He'll be along in a minute! :lol:
[/quote]

I'm that predictable huh? :blush:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355146603' post='1894566']Brilliant! I wired Jim Lea's boiler just a few weeks ago, he wasn't in :([/quote]

I hope that wasn't a euphamism? ;) Lou is a lovely sweet lady, they were school days sweethearts. Jim's had a few health issues of late, had to back out of a battle of the bands judging session due this week.

No, there's very little live Slade video; none of which is owned by the band - and the owners want silly money for releasing it which the band (that's to say Nod & Jim, the string-pullers) won't pay for.
New stuff does pop up occasionally, but never a complete gig. Contrary to many folk's opinions I think they were at their best live in the early 80's, of which the Lochem footage of '81 is the best quality, there's 3 tracks of it on Youtube.
Most recent good quality 70's footage is from Holland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBM_dy6bGL0 which again is 3 tracks;; which seems to be a recurring theme with Dutch band recordings so maybe is a law there?

Nod is doing a Q&A short tour with Mark Radcliffe next May (IIRC), which I doubt would be anything more than what I have termed Rent-A-Nod, which now seems to be a term that's used among surviving fans for "same standard questions" followed by "oft repeated answers".

The Slade touring now is H & Don + two other regulars. It's done to a budget but is a godo enough night out, I've been to a fair few of them, to catch up with the guys & meet up with old mates.

See my profile for gratuitous shot of one of Nod's Hiwatts which I now own - for now.

PS. The stuff on at Xmas has been on before; the film Flame has won a fair bit of recognition more recently for it's realistic attack & portrayal on the way the music business used to be run, some of it is allegedly based on the antics of some names in 60's music (when it's set).
However, it wasn't what the fans or general public expected of them & their star was on the wane after it's release.
And, sorry - unless you just want to see variations of mimed TV performances in the "new" programme then you'll be disappointed, but after-all .................. "IIIIIIITTTTT'SSSS CHRRRRRRIIIIIIISSSTMAAAAAAAAASSSSS!!!!!.

Nod's "tour" next year is:-

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thurs 9 - Oakengates Theatre, Telford
Fri 10 - Buxton Pavilion Arts Centre
Sat 11 - Gala Theatre, Durham
Sun 12 - Bolton Albert Halls
Thurs 16 - Leeds City Varieties
Fri 17 - Redditch Palace Theatre
Sat 18 - Charter Theatre, Preston
Sun 19 - Harrogate Theatre[/font]

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355144997' post='1894537']
It was simple to me. All the pop stars I was seeing on TOTP were dreary pretty boys and I didn't really like music at all.[i][b] One day I saw these four pig ugly blokes dressed like absolute twats [/b][/i]making a massive noisy racket with a circus clown screaming over the top.........the punchline beiing I was still singing the song next morning on my way to school.

I thought 'That's for me - I want my own little slice of that'.
[/quote]

And you were an instant Sweet fan ? Now they WERE ugly barstuarts.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1355158465' post='1894784']
And you were an instant Sweet fan ? Now they WERE ugly barstuarts.
[/quote]

No. Never a Sweet fan , though funnily enough I do Blockbuster in the set. It's that I want to replace with a Slade song. Sweet , to me , were more of a manufactured band doing other peoples songs. True - they weren't pretty , but they were TRYING to be. Different thing.

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1355149369' post='1894607']Next I just need people to remember how bloody good Status Quo were before Rocking all over the World screwed everything up and I will be trendy and cool once more....[/quote]

I already know - I saw them when they looked like this............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eef5gDWWnU

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1355150533' post='1894637']Slade Alive, one of the best live albums ever (awaits the naysayers for what constitutes a live album)[/quote]
They'd be wasting their time, it was recorded in Olympic Studios, with a small crowd from their fan-club & a sh*t-loads of mics. According to Nod most of the album was taken from the second night of three that they did for the sole purpose of the album. No overdubs.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355159378' post='1894802']
They'd be wasting their time, it was recorded in Olympic Studios, with a small crowd from their fan-club & a sh*t-loads of mics. According to Nod most of the album was taken from the second night of three that they did for the sole purpose of the album. No overdubs.
[/quote]This is kinda how I understood it, not so much the recording of a live gig in the 'normal' sense but a studio recording with a live audience. Didn't know they did 3 nights; good knowledge! I think the Black Crowes did something similar recently, but I might have that a little skewed.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1355160679' post='1894832']
not so much the recording of a live gig in the 'normal' sense but a studio recording with a live audience.[/quote]

I do prefer their 3rd live album "Slade On Stage", which was mostly - like a few classic live albums recorded in Newcastle. Bleedin' barmy them Geordies.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355161457' post='1894852']
I do prefer their 3rd live album "Slade On Stage", which was mostly - like a few classic live albums recorded in Newcastle. Bleedin' barmy them Geordies.
[/quote]

I love SOS but it is a bit heavily intrusive in the crowd noise stakes. Still - it has Rock and Roll Preacher on it and I remionds me of seeing that tour at Sheffield Lyceum. We had a mate with us , name of 'Blind' Bobby (the clue's in the name'. When they launched into R and R P the daft sod stood up and jumped forward - not realising that our seats were in the front row of the balcony. We had to reel him back in.

I do think 'til def' was a terrific album. '2nd coming' Slade at their best.

Edited by Dr.Dave