Why become a member? ×

Microphones!

Telebass

It's a thing I intend to get myself soon-a decent mike. I currently sing through a Peavey thing owned by our lead singer, but I plan on getting myself something decent(ish), especially after I had a go on hers a while ago (an expensive Shure wireless job) and was amazed at the difference. I've heard the Sennheisers are pretty good too.

I have a Sony F780. Sony provided the wireless mics for one of the Rolling Stones world tours and produced a capsule for Jagger which had the same characteristics as the SM58. I have the same. I think it's better and clearer. Keep an eye on ebay as they come up sometimes and are great value.

Shure SM58 BETA - knocks ten bells out of a standard 58, and can be had for just over £100 if you look around. Used by everyone - keep an out out on TV etc, the Beta has a blue plastic ring around the grille, whereas the standard 58 is silver.
Increased output , robust, great tone and lasts for ever!

I nipped into a shop last week in search of a microphone, and came out with a Shure PG58-according to the chap in the shop not a great deal different to an SM58, not as much longevity but about half the price, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'll report when I get a chance to use it.

I sound better through a Beta 58 than through an SM58, but better again through an SM57 than the Beta 58. Strange but true. I think it's because I have quite a deep voice but quite a large amount of sharp treble overtones and the more minimal presence peak of the 57 therefore stops those edges overwhelming the midrange of my voice. Also the 57 rolls off higher and more smoothly, thus less boom.

Alex

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='211755' date='Jun 3 2008, 01:12 PM']You'd sound even better through an e865 :) trust me[/quote]

That looks a nice mic, though a lot pricier than ye olde SM57 and it needs phantom power which can't be guaranteed with some PAs. If I could get the sound of my large diaphragm studio condenser live then that would be very nice.

One issue as a singing bassist is that the super and hypercardioid pickup pattern mics can be more difficult to use as it isn't as easy to stay on-axis when you're playing an instrument.

Alex

For live use your better off sticking with a dynamic Cardioid microphone. Obviously with the new Neo technology nowadays most modern mics sound way better than the old 57's and 58's which to be fair, the technology is out of the Ark!!

Buy a Sennheiser!! :)