Why become a member? ×

Which artists would never be the same without their original bass player ?

Black Coffee

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1354785180' post='1890249']
The Smiths
Joy Division / New Order
Weather Report
Japan
Parliament / Funkadelic / Bootsy's Rubber Band
[/quote]
Parliament / Funkadelic had many excellent bass players before and after Bootsy.

William 'Billy Bass' Nelson
Lige Curry
Cordell "Boogie' Mosson
Prakash John
Rodney 'Skeet' Davis
Jimmie Ali
Jimmy G
plus
Ron Ford, Steve Washington and multi-instrumentalist Junie Morrison all played bass on Parliafunkadelicment recordings.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1355698647' post='1901649']
I was referring to the replacement of John Entwistle (in The Who) with Pino Palladino as being laughable.
[/quote]
I'd agree that replacing one of the most overrated, unmusical bass-players who had terrible tone, no idea when to be silent and who got by on quantity of notes rather than quality, with Pino was indeed laughable. ;-)

CB

I don't recon Paul Simon's Gracelends would ever have been the same without Bakithi Kumalo.
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]In case there's some who've not yet seen it... take a look at this: [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAgd9Ijw6WI"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAgd9Ijw6WI[/url][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I don't recon I've seen anyone play fretless quite like that. If you know someone, I'd like to see it.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Other than that, I recon all bassists are "replaceable" but to answer the OP; all Artists who have a GOOD player wouldn't be the same.[/font]

Edited by Grangur