Why become a member? ×

After recording an album.... what next?

Wil

Hello!

My band Shogun ([url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/ShogunMusicUK"]http://www.facebook.com/#!/ShogunMusicUK[/url]) have spent the last year writing and recording an album of original material at a local studio. Radiohead-y/Pixies kinda stuff but fairly diverse with it. We've spent a great deal of time crafting the songs (I got to score parts for a cellist and provide keys in addition to my guitaring which makes me very happy!) and we think it's going to be worth pushing out there.

What we're unclear on, however, is what to do next. After we have the finished product in our hands (which we've self financed), mixed and mastered, what do we need to do to get it out there? I was thinking that technically we're our own label at the moment, and I'm loathe to hand over rights to our music to anyone else, so we'd like to do what we can ourselves. We'll be requesting mixes of the tracks sans vocals also so we can try and get some of the music featured in commercials etc too.

So, I was thinking it's worth sending digital copies off for review with various magazines such as Pitchfork, Classic Rock etc, and maybe sending some choice tracks to local/online radio. I think we need to get ISRC (?) codes for the music, and I've heard it's worth joining the PRS for the purposes of royalties. Unsure whether we would need to register the band as a company in order to sell our music ourselves though, and unsure where to look with regards to getting music out there for use in commercials/TV/film...

Any advice appreciated :)

I'm glad you started this topic because I find myself in this same quandary! My own band's been trying to get the word out about our EP before we record our album next year.

Still, to answer a couple of your questions, it's actually surprisingly easy to sell your recordings as a freelance musician. Obviously for a small fee you can get digital copies up on iTunes, Amazon and all the rest, but one of the best sites at the moment appears to be Bandcamp: they give you space to upload your music, customise your page and charge as much or as little as you want, only taking a cut of (usually) 15%. Better still, it's easy to integrate the page into your band's website. Here's my band's page by way of example: [url="http://cherrywhite.bandcamp.com/"]http://cherrywhite.bandcamp.com/[/url]

Sending free copies out for review seems to be a useful tactic; certainly better than spamming your friends on facebook. Approaching smaller music blogs or online journals gives you a better chance of getting a reply quickly, but if you can get in with bigger websites you may benefit from their larger readership. Your best bet is to try both and see who replies - the worst they can do is say no!

Edit: forgot to say, there's no need to register the band as a company initially. If you get lucky, and start selling enough copies that the taxman's likely to notice, then you probably will want to register...I've usually been pointed in the direction of the MU when I've asked about that topic!

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

Well done mate.

Get it on Bandcamp

Get your codes.

Join the PRS and register with PPL

Put some video on YouTube

Talk about it on Facebook

Don't overdo it with Facebook or you'll piss some people off and it will have a negative effect, gentle feeding and watering is the way.

Gig gig gig gig gig gig gig, sell albums at gigs, approach people at the gigs and talk to them, ask their opinions, standing at the little trestle table at the back is not much use.

Best of luck!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354707847' post='1889323']
Well done mate.

Get it on Bandcamp

Get your codes.

Join the PRS and register with PPL

Put some video on YouTube

Talk about it on Facebook

Don't overdo it with Facebook or you'll piss some people off and it will have a negative effect, gentle feeding and watering is the way.

Gig gig gig gig gig gig gig, sell albums at gigs, approach people at the gigs and talk to them, ask their opinions, standing at the little trestle table at the back is not much use.

Best of luck!
[/quote]

all of the above. And then gig a bit more.

Cool, thanks for the advice all.

I forgot to mention also, we formed the band after starting work on the album for the purposes of recording it and subsequently gigging it, so we're going to need to build a fanbase from scratch... In fact, gigging is a bit of an afterthought for us really.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1354708785' post='1889346']
Cool, thanks for the advice all.

I forgot to mention also, we formed the band after starting work on the album for the purposes of recording it and subsequently gigging it, so we're going to need to build a fanbase from scratch... In fact, gigging is a bit of an afterthought for us really.
[/quote]
Make it your foremost thought if you want to sell anything and build a fanbase. People connect with what they see more than what they hear initially, if they can connect with your vibe and personalities, you have a chance.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354710185' post='1889366']
Make it your foremost thought if you want to sell anything and build a fanbase. People connect with what they see more than what they hear initially, if they can [b]connect with your vibe and personalities[/b], you have a chance.
[/quote]

We're so screwed :D

Personally, I'd be made up if we got some good reviews... I've always idealised bands who were at their peak in the studio, so the whole "letting the album tour for you" thing appeals a lot to me. We will starting booking gigs in the new year though and try and get out of Bristol a bit.

TBH right now gigging is the best form of promotion and where most of the money is to be made. It's an opportunity to sell your CD/vinyl and other merchandise while getting the word around about your band.

You are going to get some physical copies of you album made aren't you? Downloads are all very well and extremely cost-effective, but since anyone with a recording and a spare $50 can do it, it hardly shows commitment towards your product. Also physical copies are good sellers at gigs where you can interact directly with your audience. Over the last year since our EP was released, my band has made far more money from CD sales when we play live than from digital downloads.

Get some other merchandise to sell at gigs too. T-shirts and badges turn your audience into walking adverts for your band and if you get a good deal on their production you should make at least 100% profit on every sale.

For digital distribution look at all the major aggregators and pick the one that gives you the best deal for your product against your projected sales. IMO you need iTunes and Amazon (worldwide) everything else is insignificant by comparison.

I wouldn't bother with a distribution deal for your physical product. Sell them yourself through your website or Bandcamp, but there's little point getting them into the few actual record shops left, except for whatever is in your home town (provided that you have some kind of following there) and you're best off doing that in person.

As for promotion, unfortunately unless you know people in the industry who owe you favours you are going to need to pay for some PR. Without a PR agency's clout your promo pack is just lost in the sea of other stuff mailed out. In the past when I've tried to do my own PR for a CD release we've been lucky to get a 10% response rate. For the Dick Venom EP we paid for PR and over half the CDs that our agency sent out landed us reviews, interviews and other press. A good PR agency will also be able to target your album directly to the people who are most likely to be favourable towards your style of music.

Join the PRS and PPL and get your songs and album registered. When you play live make sure you fill in a PRS gig form and get your royalties. It might not look like a lot but if you do enough gigs it soon adds up. PRS royalties over the past 18 months for my band have mostly covered the production costs of our next EP.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1354706216' post='1889297']

So, I was thinking it's worth sending digital copies[/quote]

A year ago we released our first EP, 1 thing we have learned is that most places on the web only want CD's, the bigger sites don't deal with download links. Annoying as it is, money talks! It costs to ensure a review/advert etc in the big mags (classic rock/prog etc) however, we found that you can haggle quite successfuly. Try and get on online radio, its easier than you might think and It may get you some fans.
If you use CD baby to sell your stuff, they link in with Amazon and itunes automatically, We have a limit set of $50 until profits are paid to us, their cut is tiny, it's really artist friendly.

Thanks BRX. Yes we're going to get some CDs pressed for gigging, and some shirts. A nice chap from Japan has done us some fantastic artwork using traditional Japanese calligraphy (there is a loose Japanese theme going through the record) which should look great as an album cover/on shirts.

It's interesting what you say about needing a PR agency in order for people to even listen to the album - bit depressing but I suppose with so many artists out there it's to be expected. Has anyone here used a PR agency before for this sort of thing (any recommendations for agencies to use/avoid)?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1354714340' post='1889455']
prepare yourself for people not liking you lovingly crafted music as much as you do, but of course they won't say that to your face
[/quote]

Honestly, this keeps me awake at night...

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1354714340' post='1889455']
prepare yourself for people not liking you lovingly crafted music as much as you do, but of course they won't say that to your face
[/quote]

The reviews of RockinRollin' VampireMan EP were all either massively positive or horribly negative with AFAIK nothing in between. TBH that's good good thing as it means the music has struck a nerve be it good or bad. From my PoV there's nothing worse than being considered average.

However if you can't take criticism - either constructive or otherwise - then maybe this isn't for you...

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354714936' post='1889464']
The reviews of RockinRollin' VampireMan EP were all either massively positive or horribly negative with AFAIK nothing in between. TBH that's good good thing as it means the music has struck a nerve be it good or bad. From my PoV there's nothing worse than being considered average.

However if you can't take criticism - either constructive or otherwise - then maybe this isn't for you...
[/quote]

I think we're our own worst critics at the moment, so it'll be nice to have someone else do it for a change :D

Edited by Wil

Disc Wizards are very good on price (especially if you have traditional Jewel Cases as opposed to other packaging). However IMO the print quality isn't quite as good as it could be. Also they appear to use a different manufacturer to all the other CD brokers so their artwork templates are completely different to everyone else, which can be an issue especially for Digipaks and cardboard sleeves.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354716693' post='1889484']
Disc Wizards are very good on price (especially if you have traditional Jewel Cases as opposed to other packaging). However IMO the print quality isn't quite as good as it could be. Also they appear to use a different manufacturer to all the other CD brokers so their artwork templates are completely different to everyone else, which can be an issue especially for Digipaks and cardboard sleeves.
[/quote]
I had some 3 panel digipaks done and they came out perfect. Very high quality print. Nice glossy finish too. (matt is slso available). Maybe it depends on the images though.

Edited by winterfire666

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354714936' post='1889464']

[/quote]

The best band I've been in to date was only really liked by other musicians.
I still don't know why.
As for criticism, just write/record something that you (collectively) like. Everyone's got an opinion about something, but none are more important in this context than those of the band.
We used to sell our discs online from our own site and at gigs.
We'd generally make enough to finance the next recording session from each previous recording. At least in that way it became self-financing.